pinger05
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha V-Star 650

Re: fingers go numb

#21 Unread post by pinger05 »

Another thing to look at are your gloves. If they fit too tightly in the gauntlets or if they are too tight it may contribute.
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
Ural Patrol <Wish list>
All it takes for evil to triumph is good me to do nothing

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

Re:

#22 Unread post by havegunjoe »

ceemes wrote:I had after market Kuryakyn ISO-Grips put on my bike,
They have more girth then factory grips and I have found that they have greatly reduced both numbing and cramping of my fingers and palm. You don't have to clamp on to them as tightly as you have to with normal skinny factory grips, plus the little rubber pads greatly reduce low frequency vibration.

I had these along with their throttle boss installed. They seem to work pretty good but I didn't get much riding in before the weather turned bad.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

james dobbs
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model09-yamaha-tmax

#23 Unread post by james dobbs »

fingers go numb: have 09 tmax, when i first started riding for long i had the same problem. look at other bike, i found CRAMP BUSTER, it's 1inch wide slide on your present grip. i can stretch out my fingers and hold trottle with back of hand.

Brighteagle
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda VTX 1300R

#24 Unread post by Brighteagle »

Numbness is mostly caused by motorcycle vibration. Vibration in motorcycle riding can be caused by many different things. Obviously, the type of bike you have is a factor. If it’s supposed to vibrate, it’s gonna vibrate. But if you have a bike that’s not supposed to vibrate, maybe you need a tune up. In addition to above, have both wheels statically and dynamically balanced. This reduces wobble, increases road holding ability, reduces tire wear and reduces rider fatigue. You should check forks and swing arm for correct operation. Vibration can occur when there is a lack of fork oil and too much side play in the swing arm. Check the pannier box lids for proper fit and that they are locked. Check for worn neck bearings, for a bad motor mount, for tire pressure and tread, and for wheel weight problems. All of these factors contribute to motorcycle seat vibration problems, Also, hand fatigue caused by vibration in the handlebars can be remedied by changing to better handlebar grips.

There are other reasons for numbness while riding. Riding position, the tenseness of your body, arm, leg, neck position, etc. I've got more helpful advice if anyone needs it. :D

Brighteagle

---------------------------------------------> Comfort For The Journey

gerjets
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2010/Harley Davidson/Heritage Softail

#25 Unread post by gerjets »

Looks like a lot of others already offered up the "too tight" grip problem. Agree with them completely although also slightly changing the position of your hand on the grips might help.

My wife claims I'm numb from the neck up so maybe that's why I don't have any problems with numbness in my fingers :-)

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#26 Unread post by dirt dobber »

here is my solution to the num problem for me, CRAMP BUSTER, i still have to stretch my hand, move my fingers, 15$.
better watch about changing your grips, you might mess up the throttle, i know one that did, it's got notches in there.
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (50.65 KiB) Viewed 7359 times

ShovelheadJohn
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 1983 FLH

#27 Unread post by ShovelheadJohn »

I drive an old shovel and am thankful for my throttle lock on every ride...........That cramp buster looks like a good idea.

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#28 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

To help your hands relax, consider a throttle boss. It adds a big, rubber niblet to the throttle grip which allows me to relax my hands, wiggle my fingers, and whatnot while riding. Instead of having to grip and twist the whole time, I can just lean on the bump with the heel of my right hand to keep the throttle open. Very handy. I'll never go without again.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#29 Unread post by dirt dobber »

MmeMagie, i take it you don't know what a Cramp Buster is? works the same way.

freebird73
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2007 yamaha yzf 600r

#30 Unread post by freebird73 »

i love this place! i find that only on certain parts of a ride my hands seem to cramp, high traffic areas seem to be when i notice that i have a death grip. The cramp buster looks like a great idea.