My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#81 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

CYNWAGON wrote:
What? Ever hear of a man purse? Gawd...
I think it's called a "murse" :)
Ohhh that just makes it sound dirty.
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#82 Unread post by BuzZz »

Do it.

I don't know nuthin' bout no stats or safety figures, but I truly believe dirtbikes are the best teacher for any type of riding.

It really is best to start as young as possible, learn how to crash without injuring yourself (like when rolling can save pain and when it will add to it) and it tends to stick with you forever. But it's never too late to get out and get dirty.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

CaptCrashIdaho
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#83 Unread post by CaptCrashIdaho »

Leaning = Good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sukd3fV6reg

I would offer that your tire shows clearly that there's PLENTY of room to lean that big boy over further. I'd look for a mentor--someone you can TRUST and follow. Bikes will lean more than we expect they can. Practice is really a key thing here.
I meant to do that.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#84 Unread post by JC Viper »

how aggressive were you with the Ninja? One of these days I should just find and follow you on your bike...

Did I mention I off-roaded my Vulcan? I may look calm and safe while riding but I can be a sick son of a b...
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#85 Unread post by JC Viper »

Slowly break the unused tread in, I just remembered that new tires need to be broken in for optimal grip and since you haven't used a nice portion yet just slowly lean further and further, even if you have softer compound on the sides vs. center.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#86 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

So, I experimented a little today with some turns.

I noticed that when I lean the bike, I'm leaning the bike, only. My torso is actually fighting the lean and keeping my torso perpendicular to the road.

On the occasions I kept my body flat with the bike - I leaned faster and had to back off a bit.

I can't say I leaned or made my turns faster, but I can say that I made the bike wobble a bit adjusting my body through the turns.

So, perhaps finally I am starting to learn more about riding my bike. We'll see.

RhadamYgg

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#87 Unread post by High_Side »

RhadamYgg wrote:So, I experimented a little today with some turns.

I noticed that when I lean the bike, I'm leaning the bike, only. My torso is actually fighting the lean and keeping my torso perpendicular to the road.
You are actually focusing too much on the leaning of the bike instead of getting it around the corner more effectively.

Try hanging one cheek off the seat, sticking your knee out (you are a long way from touching it down - don't worry), leaning forward and looking forward through the turn. The first few times it will feel wierd but then you will start to get more comfortable cornering. You will be keeping your c of g low while keeping more tire on the ground by having the bike more upright. Go in slow in and a gear too high and use the throttle to maintain your line by increasing your speed through the corner (learning this on a B-King has got to me more difficult than using a more balanced low powered bike). As you gain confidence the lean angle will come. And remember: Chicken strips are not important - gaining skills and confidence is.

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#88 Unread post by Nalian »

Do you ever do any parking lot practice? I know NJ is crowded but surely you can find a nice empty (or empty area) of parking lot somewhere around there. Get yourself a few cheap cones - just 1 will do but if you have like 5, better. Go do some circles - start out slow and move up in speed until you're leaning over more and more. Keep conscious of your body as you've been advised, and you'll figure it out.

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#89 Unread post by Nalian »

Oh, and I'm sure I have big chicken strips but I don't really give a damn. I go quickly enough through turns to keep me happy (and traffic off my "O Ring") and that's all that matters to me. ;)

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#90 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

High_Side wrote:
RhadamYgg wrote:So, I experimented a little today with some turns.

You are actually focusing too much on the leaning of the bike instead of getting it around the corner more effectively.

Try hanging one cheek off the seat, sticking your knee out (you are a long way from touching it down - don't worry), leaning forward and looking forward through the turn. The first few times it will feel wierd but then you will start to get more comfortable cornering. You will be keeping your c of g low while keeping more tire on the ground by having the bike more upright. Go in slow in and a gear too high and use the throttle to maintain your line by increasing your speed through the corner (learning this on a B-King has got to me more difficult than using a more balanced low powered bike). As you gain confidence the lean angle will come. And remember: Chicken strips are not important - gaining skills and confidence is.
Hmmm... I really hate going in to turns in too high a gear. The bike feels too 'light' if that makes any sense. But I definitely can try it. Check off, knee out, higher gear.

Just need time to practice. :(