best books about motorcycles...

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

best books about motorcycles...

#1 Unread post by zeligman »

so, what are your favorite books featuring motorcycles?

I just finished, 'the perfect machine' by melissa holbrook pierson - AWESOME book... makes me want to look at moto-guzzi's

:wink:
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#2 Unread post by RockBottom »

My daughters gave me Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for my birthday last summer, and I'm now reading it. I'm loving it but it is the perfect point in my life for it--I was a philosophy major as an undergraduate, so I get that aspect of it, but having started riding about 16 months ago (and having 23K miles under my belt), I now also understand that part.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

redwing
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by redwing »

zeligman ... I liked the book 'Proficient Motorcycling' by David Hough. Much of the book is riding safty and he brings ideas out that most would realize are a danger. But you either need to experience, reason, or read about the situation. I forget how the percentages break but I think the two main problems motorcyclist face are keeping it on the road and hitting cars that get in your way.
And you gotta be able to ride the bike also. 8)

Hope you like the book.

Robert
2008 BMW R1200R and is it sweet...

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#4 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

You know, I love motorcycling books, but I always thought there would be more pics of hot women in them.

I mean how I am supposed to pay attention to all this technical stuff about declining radius turns, Center of gravity, without some motivation!!!

I'm getting old I need to see in pictures what I'm certainly not going to see in real life! :) Of course good information that will save my life is always good.

I have found that the Hough book is excellent (on a serious note). I gave away both my copies of it and now find that I shouldn't have done that. But one of the guys that has the book is riding now (a scooter, he's looking to upgrade) and the other isn't - maybe the book scared him off.

David Hough is so plain speaking... It is great.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#5 Unread post by zeligman »

ahhh, perhaps i wasn't completely clear - i read david hough - continue to re-read it regularly as i ride... but what OTHER books are out there ...even fiction - maybe featuring bikes or centering around one ... not just about instruction or skills :)

-z
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

PeterTrocewicz
Rookie
Rookie

Favourite book?

#6 Unread post by PeterTrocewicz »

I've read and enjoyed The perfect Vehicle, and Zen (it was actually part of grade 13 english in high school). But the best In my opinion, are by Max Burns. In particular, "Around The Bend Again", a collection of his regular columns he used to write for Cycle Canada magazine, and 'On Any Wednesday". Both had me in stitches. 'These Are A Few of May Favourite Roads" is good too, particularly if you're travelling Canadian backroads. :D

dayll
Rookie
Rookie

books

#7 Unread post by dayll »

Hog Fever is good reading. You'll start planning a mc trip even begore you finish it. Of course Zen and the Art is a MUST read but it usually takes three or four read throughs to feel like you got the gist of what Pirsig was putting down. Also, if you managed to get smitten by Zen and the Art, you might take a shot at his other book Lelia, but it is more about boats and dogs than bikes. Another book that I just finished and enjoyed is Zen and Now by (sorry - I forgot his name) but he reprises Pirsig's immortal ride across the northern plains. I found it kinda adds to the experience if you have some Bob Seger playin' kinda low in the background. -dayll

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#8 Unread post by RockBottom »

Zen would have been way over my head in high school.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#9 Unread post by Gunslinger »

I'm reading Stayin' Safe by Larry Grodsky. It's a collection of his articles from Rider magazine. I wouldn't really call it a How-To book, it more of a collection of his observations mixed with some good riding tips and stories. Ironically Larry passed away from a deer strike while riding his bike, which is probably the one thing he had no control over. I'm not finished with the book but so far I like his writing style and I would recommend it as a good read.

NYGiantsGuy
Regular
Regular

#10 Unread post by NYGiantsGuy »

Hell's Angels by H.S. Thompson is a great book, although it chronicles more motorcycling culture than maintenance or non-fiction practicalities.