SS1000 / Bunburner Attempt

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#21 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

zeligman wrote:CONGRATS! - was great to hear you did well!

I'm jealous! wonder how many miles from Boston to Rahway? :)

next summer perhaps!

well done Rhadamygg!
Thanks Z! I've had clients in Boston that I had to drive up to - and it was no problem (of course that was in a car, not a bike). And then after that we'd make the SS1000 run.

Next summer would be great to have another trip. I do have to say that doing a long-distance run by myself is a little bit like hanging out on a limb without any backup.

But traveling in a group for long distances presents its own dangers, too. Probably would need some practice runs.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#22 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Johnj wrote:I hope you got a room and about 16 hours of sleep. You could jump over to the Blue Ridge Parkway on your way home. I bet the fall colors are gorgeous.
Got me 6 hours of sleep. About 2 hours more than I normally get - so that's actually not too bad.

Too bad I saw your message too late and just went back up Route 95...

RhadamYgg

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#23 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

koji52 wrote:Dammit dude. I wish I had seen this thread earlier...did you go it alone? I definately would have been interested in tagging along for something like that. I had planned to ride in a random direction for a couple of days then find my way back at some point during the summer and it never happened.
This was a quick turn around from deciding to do it and actually doing it. Next time I'd probably want more time to prepare and set up provisions and supplies.

I'm open to doing such a trip with companions, it just means we would have to do more planning to ensure a safe journey.

RhadamYgg

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#24 Unread post by koji52 »

RhadamYgg wrote:
koji52 wrote:Dammit dude. I wish I had seen this thread earlier...did you go it alone? I definately would have been interested in tagging along for something like that. I had planned to ride in a random direction for a couple of days then find my way back at some point during the summer and it never happened.
This was a quick turn around from deciding to do it and actually doing it. Next time I'd probably want more time to prepare and set up provisions and supplies.

I'm open to doing such a trip with companions, it just means we would have to do more planning to ensure a safe journey.

RhadamYgg
Well next time you do something like this and want a buddy, send me a message. I am up for a journey like that and would join you if I could.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#25 Unread post by dr_bar »

RhadamYgg, first off, congrats on your accomplishment. After spending 6 weeks on the road, I have a good idea what you ride entailed, no small feat...

As to being worried about gas, I wish I saw this thread earlier as I would have suggested that you pop into your local outdoors shop and pick up a couple of fuel cylinders for camp fuel. They are rate for all fuels as there are stoves out there that actually burn gasoline. I have a litre of gas in my saddle bags at all times, and after this last trip, I will be at least doubling that...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#26 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

I think - to do this ride with more than one biker would require a lot more planning than what I did.

I planned gas station stops... And didn't make any of them - went to different places.

I ran in to problems with credit cards for paying hotel rooms. Assinine Discover decided that someone else was using my card to be purchasing a hotel in Florida and when I used the card for a room on the way back in Savannah... It didn't work. Good thing I had a backup card.

Matching gas tanks/miles traveled is probably the least of the problems. Matching the endurance of the riders when the endurance level of individual riders when all riders endurance levels are unknown...

Still, it could be do-able. With practice by the riders involved.

Since my run was a relatively straight shot - I had at least two 130 mile between gas ups and 1 140 mile. I'm sure most bikes have the fuel capacity to do that, but having the inner thighs (where I've got two massive bruises) to hold the bike may not be something everyone has.

Speeds are another point... And a major problem. There are segments in the GA and SC area where maintaining speed with traffic required 90 to 95 mph speeds - which I was quite willing to do since I wanted to make as much time as possible.

But, it was probably a big mistake to go those speeds just to keep up with traffic. I'm young and in relatively good shape... The increased wind resistance and vibrations traveling up the handlebars made me tire faster - I suspect I could have made the trip and been relatively rested without speeds in excess of 80 mph (seems to be a keep a speed under 80 mph is significantly lower wind and vibration than over).

I know a lot of riders don't like the rain. We'll I had periods - from the very beginning on the way down... and the way back. I'm actually pretty sure I have to adjust my chain again even though I adjusted it only 120 miles before leaving on the trip. The rain on the way down - from south Jersey, through Delaware and in to Maryland house in Maryland and another 20 miles or so later - was sometimes significant.

Plus eating.... I really didn't eat except for Zone bars until late at night.

So, all bikes going on the trip would have to have new or low-mileage tires, well maintained chains, etc.

But out of it all - it was the cold on the way back that was the worst.

RhadamYgg

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#27 Unread post by koji52 »

RhadamYgg wrote:I think - to do this ride with more than one biker would require a lot more planning than what I did.

I planned gas station stops... And didn't make any of them - went to different places.

I ran in to problems with credit cards for paying hotel rooms. Assinine Discover decided that someone else was using my card to be purchasing a hotel in Florida and when I used the card for a room on the way back in Savannah... It didn't work. Good thing I had a backup card. i have one of each kind of credit card out there except for discover.

Matching gas tanks/miles traveled is probably the least of the problems. Matching the endurance of the riders when the endurance level of individual riders when all riders endurance levels are unknown...

Still, it could be do-able. With practice by the riders involved.

Since my run was a relatively straight shot - I had at least two 130 mile between gas ups and 1 140 mile. I'm sure most bikes have the fuel capacity to do that, but having the inner thighs (where I've got two massive bruises) to hold the bike may not be something everyone has. i get 200 miles to a tank on the sporty and 150 on the vrod. I'm in as good shape now as I was back in college and will ride for as long as you will ride. If I am in pain, i'll deal with it

Speeds are another point... And a major problem. There are segments in the GA and SC area where maintaining speed with traffic required 90 to 95 mph speeds - which I was quite willing to do since I wanted to make as much time as possible. 90-95 is fine on the vrod, not so fine on the sporty

But, it was probably a big mistake to go those speeds just to keep up with traffic. I'm young and in relatively good shape... The increased wind resistance and vibrations traveling up the handlebars made me tire faster - I suspect I could have made the trip and been relatively rested without speeds in excess of 80 mph (seems to be a keep a speed under 80 mph is significantly lower wind and vibration than over).

I know a lot of riders don't like the rain. We'll I had periods - from the very beginning on the way down... and the way back. I'm actually pretty sure I have to adjust my chain again even though I adjusted it only 120 miles before leaving on the trip. The rain on the way down - from south Jersey, through Delaware and in to Maryland house in Maryland and another 20 miles or so later - was sometimes significant. i've ridden through rain, hail and snow. While I don't like it, i can deal with it

Plus eating.... I really didn't eat except for Zone bars until late at night. That would be a problem. I need my three+ meals a day or my metabolism crushes me

So, all bikes going on the trip would have to have new or low-mileage tires, well maintained chains, etc. i have less than 2k miles on the vrod and less than 10k on the sporty, both with plenty of life left on the tires and belts

But out of it all - it was the cold on the way back that was the worst.

RhadamYgg
Let's hit it. Other than route planning and maybe some hotel planning (based on projected miles to travel), the logistics don't seem overly complex. I'd have to buy some gear (windshield, bags and rain gear) but for the most part maybe a few day rides to get used to riding styles is all that is needed from a preparation standpoint.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

Tennif Shoe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: VTX 1800c

#28 Unread post by Tennif Shoe »

I am truely glad that there are people on this board that are not scared to hop on thir bike and ride 1000 miles, I am one of the type if I have the time and the money i will go. I keep my bike in good enough shape that I know it will do anything I ask of it, anytime. it does not hurt to be able to repair your own bike with a pair of pliers, a screwdriver and a rock you found on the side of the road Even when I was ridding my Vulcan I would do it, knowing i would proberly have to fix it somewhere along the way. most likely on one of the stops that bike never did like to start
03 Honda VTX 1800c
87 Yamaha TT350
86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (sold) Have fun in Mexico Mr. Vulcan!

YES my spellin sucks, get over it, or you can be my personal spell check

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#29 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

koji52. I didn't mean to insult. But I stand by the Lance Armstrong comparison. He is probably the most recognizable example of ultimate preparedness for a long distance ride (okay, so he pedals, but motorcycling has its own challenges).

I was trying to express to you that riding 1000 miles in less than 24 hours is NOT something to just decide to do next weekend. RhadamYgg inquired about what it takes to do one several months back, and I gave him the link to the IBA site as well as some suggestions from personal experience.

My husband and I have different enough temperaments that the two of US could probably not complete a SS1000 together in spite of being married for over 20 years. There is no way that I'd consider riding one with a stranger.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#30 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

koji52 wrote:
RhadamYgg wrote:

RhadamYgg
Well next time you do something like this and want a buddy, send me a message. I am up for a journey like that and would join you if I could.
No problem - Maybe start with a run to DC or something. We might even have my wife and kids in the minivan behind us and hit the museums or something.

Then we can get to the meat of an interesting long term journey.

RhadamYgg