Ever get stuck between gears ?

bandit600
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10

Ever get stuck between gears ?

#1 Unread post by bandit600 »

Every now and then like when I'm going 60mph and maybe a light turns red and I have a short time to drop the tranny down from 6th to first and I'm shifting rapidly the bike will get stuck between gears. Sometimes letting the clutch out to let the gear move a little and make a better alignment helps. Sometimes upshifting first then downshifting works but that is a pain because by that time you've come to stop and can't really shift gears anymore... You look like a crazy person mashing down on the shifter frantically trying to get it in at least 3rd or 2nd before the light turns green...

Anyway you get the picture. This happened on my bandit and now occassionally on the SV. I usually try to blip the throttle while downshifting but in the situation I described above it's not always that easy or possible. I talked to a friend of mine and he said that's a fairly common Suzuki quirk. Is that true? Does that ever happen to anyone else? More often in Suzukis maybe?
2003 Suzuki SV1000S
1999 600cc Suzuki Bandit - SOLD

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

It's a quirk for any constant mesh transmission. Yeah just use the clutch to spin the tranny gears a little and they'll pop back into whatever gear they need to go into. My Volusia did the same thing.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

Heh, heh..... V-strom is notorious for not wanting to shift down from 4th to 3rd. Just stomp on it harder!! :twisted:

Wrider and Rhadam and I were discussing this in February: viewtopic.php?p=261019#261019

If ya really wanna see a transmission having a snit, forget to shift down to 1st and bring my Bonneville to a stop. Neutral will proceed to run away and hide for about the next 5 minutes..... ya get used to it. :roll:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

bandit600
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by bandit600 »

Wow, this thread must be like deja vu for you guys. I guess I'll learn to live with it and keep these tricks and tips in mind.

To tell you the truth it didn't really bother me till a couple days ago when it happened next to a car full of cute college age girls. :oops:

:spaz: Stomping on the shift lever like a spaz... Rocking the bike back and forth at the light and I still only managed to get it into 3rd before the light turned green. Then I had to rev it and slip the clutch to get it going (thank god for that torquey twin).

I mean I certainly don't ride to look "cool" but the irony isn't lost on me when my ride makes me look like a fool... :frusty:
2003 Suzuki SV1000S
1999 600cc Suzuki Bandit - SOLD

tymanthius
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 07 BMW F650GS

#5 Unread post by tymanthius »

bandit600 wrote:Wow, this thread must be like deja vu for you guys. I guess I'll learn to live with it and keep these tricks and tips in mind.

To tell you the truth it didn't really bother me till a couple days ago when it happened next to a car full of cute college age girls. :oops:

:spaz: Stomping on the shift lever like a spaz... Rocking the bike back and forth at the light and I still only managed to get it into 3rd before the light turned green. Then I had to rev it and slip the clutch to get it going (thank god for that torquey twin).

I mean I certainly don't ride to look "cool" but the irony isn't lost on me when my ride makes me look like a fool... :frusty:
At least you didn't drop it. I just KNOW I'm gonna have that happen one day. Sorta did the other day, 'cept it was my 14 yr old daughter. I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride, and I then proceeded to fail in maneuvering in a duck walk in my gravel drive.
'07 BMW F650GS :) His name is Mith.

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#6 Unread post by zeligman »

my suzi can be a bit finicky shifting too... i need to let the clutch out and back in sometimes... my issues are from 2 to N to 1.. sometimes it locks in between

sometimes i have to roll the bike forward or back a bit re-engage clutch and mash :)
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

redwing
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by redwing »

I thought this stuff only happened to me. A while back I came around a curve and a white pickup was backing out into the road. I hit my brakes so fast I couldn't gear down and there I was stuck in 6th gear. It took perhaps 3 or 4 minutes to get into 1st gear. Sixth to fifth and then inbetween 5th and 4th. And the auto behind me waited ... I didn't turn around to see what thier attitude might be. But no honking. Also I didn't get rear ended.

The first couple of times this happened I lucked out and got it into gear. I called the dealer and the advice I got worked well. Their advice sounds like the techniques I've read in this post.

The dealer said sometimes the trans get stuck between gears. Then with a few revs put mild preasure on the shift and slowly let out on the clutch. At the friction point the trans should pop into gear... or that the plan.
Or
Sometimes stuck in neutral .. slowly let out the clutch because it might pop into gear... then rev the motor and pull in the clutch and try again.
I usually panic :frusty: ...but never worry about someone waiting on me in traffic... I do worry about women ... every thirty seconds. Please call BR 555 PLEASE 8)
The dealer said reving the motor with the clutch out spun the trans and so the gears allign. ??? It works for me.

Robert
2008 BMW R1200R and is it sweet...

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#8 Unread post by Amdonim »

Yep my shadow does that sometimes. All I do is let out the clutch till I hear a click and continue downshifting. It is a pain when it happens though.

Fargo360
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

#9 Unread post by Fargo360 »

My cb360 does that between 1st and 2nd. Seems like I always get stuck in neutral. Not fun when you're taking off from a stop, go to switch gears and all i get is "vrooooom!"
1976 Honda CBR360R/T
1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

Fargo, ND supports global warming

Gurgus
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by Gurgus »

My 450 does the same thing. First gear, click up to second, let out clutch "VROOM!"

I dig that 360 by the way. Sweet.
1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450sc