Too Hot in Turn

storysunfolding
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#21 Unread post by storysunfolding »

StillTry'n wrote:I lied. I can't resist getting more input.
good
I remember my MFS class stressing to stay off the front brake unless you are upright and going straight?
Great advice for a beginner. We all learn motor movements teh same. We start with gross movements (on/off) then we refine those to more precise movements (25%,50%, 75% etc). You should always use both brakes (hopefully your BRC covered that). However when turning at slow speeds overapplying the front brake can quickly cause the bike to tip over. Here until you get more proficient with the front you may choose just to use the rear brake.

Do you remember the stopping in a turn video from your class? It gave two means to stop in a turn. The first and best is straighten and THEN brake. The second way start braking while straightening but be careful not to overwhelm available traction

So....before I go out and get hammered on the bends: tell me one more time, please. I should maybe drop a gear...use the front brake....and then throttle out to the exit?
Until you get instruction in a more advanced technique you should follow what you learned in the BRC. Get all your slowing done before the turn including any downshifts you need; look through the turn; press to initiate your lean; roll on the throttle smoothly evenly and constantly through the remainder of the turn. Use an outside inside outside path of travel as appropriate and try not to turn in too soon.
have been on the rear (I call it "dragging" the rear) and I should use both: but especially the front?
You should always use both brakes. It's a good habit and good form. However your front brake supplies as little as 70% of your stopping power. If I were to use a brake, I'd use the most powerful one.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

StillTry'n
Regular
Regular

#22 Unread post by StillTry'n »

You should always use both brakes. It's a good habit and good form. However your front brake supplies as little as 70% of your stopping power. If I were to use a brake, I'd use the most powerful one.
story: reread your quote. "As little as 70%, I'd use the most powerful one". 70% is way more than a little.

OK, here are the real facts. I am riding (my very first ride) a Maxiscooter 650cc Suzuki. It weighs in at around 610 pounds and goes up to 110 mph. The weight of this thing is real intimidating at slow speed.

I am now moving up to buying a 2010 Ducati Monster 696 with ABS.

I just want to know what to do if I get myself "overcooked" into a turn.

And you have been very helpful.

I have been in the dark about the front brake!

Dan

storysunfolding

#23 Unread post by storysunfolding »

On most bikes it provides more than 70%. I stand by my statement :laughing:
My Blog

storysunfolding

#24 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Find and take a Lee Parks Total Control class. You'll love it combined with that monster. btw :thumbsup:
My Blog

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#25 Unread post by jmillheiser »

Add more steering input to get the bike over more, get your weight to the inside, and feed in a little trail braking if the front end starts to push. Maintain steady throttle and if your trail braking just ease off a tad, do not completely shut down the throttle. If pegs start scraping stay in it until your out of the turn.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#26 Unread post by jstark47 »

Dan- You have a Burgie 650? Heavy for sure, but isn't the CoG real low? That should work to your advantage leaning the critter. We used to have a Reflex, I would work up to some pretty good lean angles going around corners (i.e. moderate speed turns). Harder to shift weight on a maxiscoot though - no pegs to weight and no tank to push on. Can still be done, just not to the same degree as on a regular motorcycle.

Does the Burgman have linked brakes?
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

StillTry'n
Regular
Regular

#27 Unread post by StillTry'n »

jstark

You know my Suzuki dealer doesn't even know for sure if the Burgman has linked brakes. I'm gonna say no on that.

Yes real low CoG for sure which makes this "training bike" easy to get the feel of riding. A killer for noobs in slow turning.

But the input a rider should give to this is probably the same on most bikes when entering a turn hot and trying to come out in one piece.

Story and everyone has been spot on with responses. Mainly I need to stick to what I learned as a beginner and gradually advance to more experienced riding technique through class instruction.

I'm moving to the Ducati in the spring and I know that I will ride that bike just fine if I keep doing what I'm doing......gradually!

Story....I do indeed use both brakes when stopping evey time. But until now I have only used the rear in the turns. But then again my speed in those turns has not been anything drastic. I am going to try both brakes in the turns: gently!

Thank You All

Dan :lol:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#28 Unread post by Wrider »

Hey, just went to the Suzuki dealer website and looked at the schematics for your Burgman. You don't have a linked braking system, both front and rear are independent systems.
Thought it'd be useful for you to know! :mrgreen:
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

StillTry'n
Regular
Regular

#29 Unread post by StillTry'n »

wrider

Correct!

ABS though on this bike, which I'm also getting on the Monster 696 in '10. That is a new option on the Ducati for the 696.

Again....this thread has been most educational for a new rider!

And thank you all for hitting the keyboard for me.

Dan

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: Too Hot in Turn

#30 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Time to check the package never brake throttle only I only braked once last year in a turn was covering the front brake and hit a pothole accidently pulled it PUCKER FACTOR 10. Seriously though I will usually hold my line and push her through even though your body is screaming to bail don't your machine will make it . If not I would rather low side than high side anyday
there aint nothin like it