#1 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Hey Everyone,

Merry Christmas,
Happy Christmas,
Good Solstice
Kwanzaa,
Hanukkah,
etc...(?)

I hope everyone is well, having fun riding when possible, having fun dreaming of riding or modifying your ride if you can't.

So, I have a non-ABS Suzuki B-King. I would have gotten the ABS model, but the dealer thought they had it - ended up not having it. Bleach.
I really want ABS. Getting another bike isn't a realistic option. However, I can't help but think to myself that there can't be much of a difference between my non-ABS model and the ABS model.

1) Sensors (possibly the wheels themselves in the worst case)
2) Computer or chip change to actuate the brakes.
3) Wires/wiring harness.

What I want to do of course, is set up ABS on my non-ABS bike.

I'm sure this is possible, but the real question is - can it be done at a reasonable price?

Any input would be helpful.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

Your list will likely have to include most all brake components and a computer change/upgrade to an entire ABS system to work.

So I am not sure 'reasonable' would be the price range.....
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

I'm with Buzzz on this... You'll probably have to get a whole new ECU, which is probably 700-1000 bucks on that bike. Not to mention the new wiring harness, sensors, etc. You'd probably be looking at a very minimum of 2 grand not including labor...
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#4 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

2K, not including labor might not be bad.

It seems really hard to find used bikes with ABS, and the new ones with ABS are out of my range. Even with trade-in on my bike (which will probably be a low dollar prospect as my bike isn't popular) would require me to put in much more than 2K.

I was thinking if I could find a salvage B-King with ABS there might be some possibility - or rather just getting the components I need from the junk yard.

Some parts - like the computer - might work well from a salvage. I think the wheels are different - as wheels for ABS require some way to know how fast they are turning (or not turning).

Probably too expensive - hell. Just need to make sure I meet my specs next time I get a bike. I got all hot under the collar because I read two good articles on the VFR1200 and the new Concours 14 - and then saw the prices. :( Even the price on the ST1300 seems to have gone up a lot since last year.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#5 Unread post by sapaul »

I agree that ABS can be a good thing, but I also note that it makes you lazy in your braking pattern. A rider that has spent time training to brake properly will out brake a rider that just thinks the ABS will do everything for them.

ABS will not stop you quicker but is really designed to stop the wheels from locking up.

This will not help you in a corner and is the biggest myth in biking. ABS will also not help you with overcoming survival reactions as again, people think the brakes will do it all. The mental aspect now becomes all about braking instead of taking some other action like swerving.

For the kind of money you are talking about, I would rather invest in a good defensive riding course or track school. I would rather be a better rider on an older bike than rely on equipment on a newer one.

Is this going to be your last bike ???? An investment in rider skills will last for many more bikes. :motorcycle1:
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

Why do you feel that you need ABS?
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Skier

#7 Unread post by Skier »

sapaul wrote:I agree that ABS can be a good thing, but I also note that it makes you lazy in your braking pattern. A rider that has spent time training to brake properly will out brake a rider that just thinks the ABS will do everything for them.

ABS will not stop you quicker but is really designed to stop the wheels from locking up.
I fully support your right to be wrong. An ABS-equipped bike will outbrake all but top competing motorcycle racers when it comes to dry tarmac. You throw in rain or other traction reducers and ABS comes out on top by spades.

Don't take my word for it. Check out this study by the IIHS, the MSF's report on stopping distances or many other easily located resources.

The ABS goodness Honda has recently been putting on their sports bikes will shame the systems in the MSF study with their improved effectiveness.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#8 Unread post by jstark47 »

Gotta disagree there, Skier. Most tests I read in Motorcycle Consumer News, the non-ABS bikes have shorter stopping distances on dry pavement. It's on wet pavement the ABS shines.

I would regard anything IIHS publishes with a great deal of skepticism anyway. They're a puppet of the insurance industry, IMO most of their studies are strongly slanted and lack objectivity. Remember, IIHS are the clowns who classified the Buell Blast as a "supersport" bike and the V-strom and R1150R as "unclad sport bikes" in 2007!
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Skier

#9 Unread post by Skier »

jstark47 wrote:Gotta disagree there, Skier. Most tests I read in Motorcycle Consumer News, the non-ABS bikes have shorter stopping distances on dry pavement. It's on wet pavement the ABS shines.

I would regard anything IIHS publishes with a great deal of skepticism anyway. They're a puppet of the insurance industry, IMO most of their studies are strongly slanted and lack objectivity. Remember, IIHS are the clowns who classified the Buell Blast as a "supersport" bike and the V-strom and R1150R as "unclad sport bikes" in 2007!
Feel free to cite concrete sources.

If you don't accept the IIHS data, how about the MSF's? What about Promocycle's data?

Hit me with some facts that disprove these three independent sources if you want to prove your point. :)

(edit: I also gotta say the newer the report, the better the ABS-equipped bike performs. Trotting out something from the early 2000s doesn't pertain to new bikes!)
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#10 Unread post by HYPERR »

jstark47 wrote:Gotta disagree there, Skier. Most tests I read in Motorcycle Consumer News, the non-ABS bikes have shorter stopping distances on dry pavement. It's on wet pavement the ABS shines.
Today's ABS are phenomenal. Especially the one on the new Honda CBR. Nothing like the cr@p first generation ABS on BMWs.

The caveat here is that MCN uses their best rider under controlled testing conditons, AND in many cases, attempt many attempts and records the best distance.
I believe Don Canet(Cycle World) had to do a few practice stops before he could outperform the phenomenal Honda ABS.

Canet is a better rider than 99.6% of the riders out there.

Under emergency condition on real roads, I would bet the farm that 99% of the riders on the road will stop much quicker with modern ABS than without.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS