Selling a motorcycle

scott s
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Selling a motorcycle

#1 Unread post by scott s »

I plan on putting one or two bikes up for sale soon. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit more and for people to get antsy to ride.
I've never sold a bike before. How do you handle test rides? I'm thinking no rides unless you have a valid motorcycle license and the full asking price in cash for me to hold until you get back. Or should I just say "No Rides" and take it for a spin up and down the street for them?

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

No rides unless you have cash in hand... That's how most do it plus if they wreck it you already have the cash in hand and they get to fix it!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#3 Unread post by sapaul »

If they come on a bike, go ride with them, if they come in a car, cash in hand if they want a test ride. If you can, put the girlfriend on the back, if she likes it, you have a sale. :D
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by koji52 »

No rides unless they come on a bike and you can ride their bike with them. That way you both have something to lose.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

mazer
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by mazer »

Man you guys are tough. When I bought my bike, I made certain to contact the seller a number of times, to learn as much as I could about the bike. We exchanged e mail for at least 2 weeks. If you post on craigslist, there is a thing called craigslist flakes. They are people who are living in lala land. They will try and get you to call them, and talk for a couple of hours about nothing. Or come over to waste your time talking about nothing. I never post my phone number as a result.
Post up photos and a detailed blurb about the bike. If someone is really interested, they are going to contact you more than once and not be in any hurry to buy. Ask for cash only. Write something up, saying something like
I, (put your name here) am selling my (put bike details here) in AS IS condition with no implied warranty. Buyer is responsible for registering the bike within 5 days. Be sure and make copies of your title, registration, and the sales agreement.
Good Luck with the sale.

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#6 Unread post by Amdonim »

I sold my marauder on craiglist, and I found it rather tough. Even though I stated clearly that I was only accepting cash, you would be surprise how many people wanted to give me guns for it. Texas, go figure.