Kawasaki Z750

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Kawasaki Z750

#1 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I used to own a 2006 Z750S. I've just been to the London Motorcycle show (UK) and have seen the 2010 version of the Z750.

I've noticed quite a progression in the looks of this bike. The 2006 one was more aggressive than it's pre-decessor and now the 2010 one is pushing the limits again. Wow, this bike has really been through a fair bit of re-design!

I really loved my 2006 and the 2010 style is growing on me. One question - why isn't it available in North America? :?
Andrea :sun:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32

Re: Kawasaki Z750

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Well, I'll take a stab at it... ;)

The Z750 and Z1000 were first introduced into the naked bike market in 2000 because manufacturers thought we would love European bikes (and we do). Let's look at the changes over the years (thanks to Total Motorcycle)

then in 2005 the Z1000 and Z750S looked like this:

2005 Z1000

2005 Z750S

2010 Z1000

My guess would be the Z750 isn't more than 1 year behind (or several months) the Z1000. Kawasaki seems to be testing the market with the Z1000 vs Z750 and if the Z1000 is an ok seller they should bring in the Z750. That said, if the Z1000 is a flop it might only be a 1 or 2 year model...

But I can't see the Z1000 being a bad seller, there are (unfortunately) very few naked bikes in the market right now and the Z1000 is a top of technology naked. It would easily go head to head with any European naked bike (think Aprilia or Benelli) 2-3x it's price.

The issue is, is the design too radical??

The Z750 is a great all round bike that will keep a rider happy with it for many many years. The Z1000 is ...

"Kawasaki Z: Bringing You the World’s Coolest Streetbikes Since 1973

With this latest in a long line of naked Kawasaki streetbikes, we threw out the old rules and started with a clean sheet, drawing upon more than 35 years of experience in giving the people what they want. If the new Z1000 knocks your eyeballs out, that’s exactly what we had in mind. Even more important, though, is the feeling this one provides every time you twist the throttle.

A sharp new front cowl sloped back at an acute angle highlights the Z1000’s new nose, followed by a tilting instrument panel, visible through an orange lens, that can be angled to suit rider preference. Just below that a long, narrow headlight represents Kawasaki’s first use of a line-beam unit. Following the lines rearward, the eyes will next encounter a dynamically designed steel gas tank, flared on the sides to let you grab it with your knees, and trim at the rear for a snug fit. The seat’s low and narrow at the front to make ground contact easy, and it flows beautifully rearward to end in a futuristically retro LED taillight behind a red lens.

Previous Z1000s used a steel frame, but this one gets its own all-new aluminum one. Similar in concept to the frame of the Ninja® ZX™-10R sportbike, the frame beams curve over the engine, resulting in a narrow bike that’s easy to grip with the knees. The engine bolts in solidly, stressed-member style, at three places, and in a rubber mount at the upper rear of the crankcase for great torsional rigidity and solid handling. Wherever possible, welds were eliminated for a smooth, organic appearance. The main frame and swingarm pivot areas, for example, are cast as a single unit. The rear subframe is a three-piece aluminum die-casting, light, smooth and beautiful.

At the heart of every naked bike is its engine. We didn’t just bolt it into that frame for solid handling, we did it so you won’t forget what you’re riding: You’ll definitely feel those 1,043 cubic centimeters of fuel-injected Kawasaki four-cylinder every time you twist the throttle. A secondary balance shaft eliminates excess vibes, but on this bike, a little bit of character is designed in. In the same spirit, the bike’s cool air system uses ducts just ahead of the fuel tank to usher air into the airbox, a placement that lets the rider savor the bold sound of screaming air being sucked into the engine’s downdraft intakes.

The Z1000’s four-cylinder uses a longish stroke—56mm—to make the most impact in the rpm range most used by naked bike riders. Long-stroke engines keep intake air velocity up for maximum midrange power whatever the displacement. From nearly any rpm, rolling the Z1000’s throttle open provides the kind of instant gratification most sportbikes just can’t quite muster. Having said that, this engine also spins up noticeably faster from about 7000 rpm upwards, with a silky smooth, highly intoxicating response.

What more do you need? Not much. How about new five-spoke wheels, with spokes machined near the rims for a custom-wheel look. We carried forward the quad-pipe theme from the last Z1000 (and the first Z1), but an under-engine pre chamber let the engineers use shorter mufflers for great looks, better mass centralization and light, quick handling. A solid-mount handlebar and aluminum footpegs lifted from the Ninja ZX-10R complete with machined edges contribute to the Z1000’s direct feel.

Nobody scrimped on the suspension and running gear, either: A radial-pump master cylinder provides the latest in braking feel and feedback. Adding compression damping adjustability to the 41mm inverted fork gives it all-way tunability, and a completely new, horizontal placement of the rear shock provides typically UNI-TRAK®-like performance.

The next time somebody complains to you that modern motorcycles have no soul, take them for a ride on a new Z1000. Everything about it is up-to-the-minute modern. But you can feel its roots every time you hit the starter. This one’s classic Kawasaki all the way.

Development of the new 2010 Z1000 started from scratch, with the specific goals of creating a distinctive visual impact and superior on-road performance. The end result is essentially a custom-made super streetfighter.

A unique blend of Japanese art and technology, the 2010 Z1000’s styling takes a dramatic leap forward with the distinct look of an apex predator. Hunched-down and ready to pounce, its visual impact is much stronger than that of a naked sportbike, or a derivative copy of some Euro trend.

The Z1000 clearly surpasses the dynamic performance of its predecessors, thanks to a new quick-revving 1,043cc inline-four cylinder engine, and an all-new quick-steering aluminium chassis connected to an all-new horizontal rear suspension design. Though it offers true sportbike handling; the Z1000’s comfortable, upright riding position mean it remains a practical transportation tool, even as the dramatic howl from its new cold-air intake raises hairs on the back of its rider’s neck. "

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229

#3 Unread post by sunshine229 »

totalmotorcycle wrote: A unique blend of Japanese art and technology, the 2010 Z1000’s styling takes a dramatic leap forward with the distinct look of an apex predator. Hunched-down and ready to pounce, its visual impact is much stronger than that of a naked sportbike, or a derivative copy of some Euro trend.
Hey Mike, thanks for the great reply! :)

I have to agree with what Kawasaki wrote about the new Z1000 (above). It seems to me it's quite a unique model in that it is super high technology and very agressive in it's looks. I do think it rivals some of the European street fighter styles.

So the question is... why isn't it a big seller in North America? Why are people so happy to be on crunched up sport bikes rather than try something a bit more comfortable to ride but still with awesome looks. I hope it does sell well so that by the time I'm looking for a new bike it's still in the lineup!

I owned the 2006 Z750S and just absolutely loved it. I was lucky enough to be able to test ride it at the dealer before buying but I only had to ride it for one minute before knowing it was perfect for me. There is just something to be said about finding your perfect match, without a moment's hesitation! ;)
Attachments
sunshine229's 2006 Z750S
sunshine229's 2006 Z750S

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by JCS »

So the question is... why isn't it a big seller in North America? Why are people so happy to be on crunched up sport bikes rather than try something a bit more comfortable to ride but still with awesome looks. I hope it does sell well so that by the time I'm looking for a new bike it's still in the lineup!

I am a fan of naked bikes and have been for years. But there are many of us that are put off by the origami/Transformers/angular type styling. Nothing wrong with this style, just not where I'm at.

To me a naked bike should be a base line to start modding for your own use. I want a tank that will easily accommodate a tank bag. Good, comfy passenger seat and ergos. If I want to mound a wind screen or soft luggage it should not be a major undertaking. I want a centerstand!!!

These Kaws are probably great bikes but just do not hit the target for me. :dunno:
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#5 Unread post by flynrider »

Gotta agree with you there. The combination of the exaggerated angular lines and the reduced utility (for no apparent reason) puts me off. The original version of the z750 was not bad in this respect, but over the years the styling morphed into something that would look at home in a Japanese adventure cartoon. In the photos above you can watch as the rear seat virtually disapears and the back end of the bike looks like it's rising into the air. Eventually, it ends up looking like every other sportbike with the plastics removed.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

sunshine229

#6 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Good points, all around! I guess it does look a bit like origami... but that's okay with me! ;)

Thanks for the responses. :mrgreen:

honey123
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2008/yamaha/

#7 Unread post by honey123 »

I am not much into motorbikes and don’t know much about them but I enjoyed reading about the Kawas and found them quite enlightening!! I was just wondering about the fact that people were very bothered about the looks of a bike even over it’s performance, which is quite unusual for me!!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

honey123 wrote:I am not much into motorbikes and don’t know much about them but I enjoyed reading about the Kawas and found them quite enlightening!! I was just wondering about the fact that people were very bothered about the looks of a bike even over it’s performance, which is quite unusual for me!!
:welcome2: to the community!!

Yes, when it comes to motorcycles how a bike looks can be just as important as its performance. Get the looks wrong and make a really great performance bike and it will sit in the dealer showrooms.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229

#9 Unread post by sunshine229 »

LOL what are you all talking about??? Of course it's all about the looks!!!

(that is such a girly answer, I know!)

:cheerleader:

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#10 Unread post by Johnj »

KZ 750 B
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.