flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

Looking at new S Star 650 as I've outgrown it

#1 Unread post by flw »

First is the V Star 650 (currently Vulcan 500 LTD 6-speed and its starting to feel cramped as I ride farther now than 3 three years ago.

Question:

-How does the stock seat compare to other bikes for a long trip?

- What is the HP and torque?

-Any user isues that I should be aware of like saftey, reliablity or lack of add on's availble

-Last is retention of value?

Thanks for any opionions or references to other sites. (i've been to many other sites such as totalmotorcycles.com)
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

NewGuy
Elite
Elite

Re: Looking at new S Star 650 as I've outgrown it

#2 Unread post by NewGuy »

IMO, the V-star 650 is a very good bike - for a first bike to learn on.

I got a used '01 V-star 650 Classic used as my first bike, and I recently got a H-D Super Glide. A good friend of mine got a new '06 V-star 650 Custom as his first bike, and he is now looking to get either a larger metric, H-D, or Victory cruiser.

I loved my V-star. It was reliable, although it did have a tendency to need the spokes on the wheels tightened frequently. It's not very expensive, gets over 45mpg, insurance is relatively cheap since it's a cruiser and it's on 649cc displacement.

Horsepower at the rear wheel is around 32 on a stock bike. Some will say you can gut the pipes (cut and gut or no-cut gut) and add a Hypercharger, or the Gonzo Air Kit (GAK) available at http://www.zivney.net/Products.htm, and get an additional 15% in HP. Which if you get that big a gain would put you just under 37hp. I have never seen dyno data to back that up, and I think 15% might be a tad optimistic. This topic is discussed at length on the discussion forum at http://650ccnd.com/ The GAK is a much less expensive than the Hypercharger, and comes with everything you will need to rejet the carbs.

The stock seat is OK, but not great. I modified mine using the seat mod on 650ccnd.com, but I also added a gel pad from Pro-Pad. That made the seat better. However, you will still feel too much vibration in the seat, grips, and floorboards (or pegs). If I had kept the bike I would have replaced the gel pad with memory foam.

There are tons of aftermarket parts available as it's been a very popular small cruiser for over a decade. As you will learn if you spend some time on 650ccnd, and the associated discussion forum, there are a lot of things you can do yourself to save money. Such as gutting the stock pipes rather than buying aftermarket pipes, and modifying the seat yourself.

All that being said, if you are "outgrowing" a 500LTD I think you'll be disappointed on V-star and wish you had got something other than the V-star.

1st, the V-star is underpowered for it's weight/displacement. You are getting better performance out of the re-tuned Ninja 500 engine that's in your Vulcan. I've seen HP numbers from 40 to 50 hp for those bikes. Even if you assume the low end at 40 hp you're getting more out of stock engine on the 500 than you are from a V-star 650 that has an upgraded intake and exhaust. Also, when you get to highway speeds you'll be dissatisfied with the V-star as you'll always be wanting to shift up to the next highest gear, even though you're already in fifth gear. It's just not geared well for extended cruising on highways with a 65mph or greater speed limit.

As for size, I have long arms and legs (34 inch inseam) and I was OK on a Classic with the floorboards, but felt really cramped on my friend's Custom with the pegs. That site that has the GAK has an inexpensive extension kit to move out that pegs or boards. If I had kept the bike I would have gotten that kit for my floorboards.

The bike was great for short trips, anything less than 50 miles, but I wanted more comfort and power for long rides and two up riding. My friend who has the Custom felt the same way, which is why he's looking to change bikes to.

I got a great deal on my new Super Glide and snapped it up, but other bikes I was seriously considering were the V-star 950 and V-star 1300 (belt drive and EFI on both), the new Honda 1300s that have EFI, or the Vulcan 900 Custom or Classic (belt drive and EFI).

IMO, you won't be happy with the change from the Vulcan 500 to the V-star 650, especially if your goal is to take long rides.