flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

Looking at new Suzuki C50

#1 Unread post by flw »

First is the Suzuzki C50 (currently Vulcan 500 LTD 6-speed and its starting to feel cramped as I ride farther now than 3 three years ago.

Question:

-How does the stock seat compare to other bikes for a long trip?

-What is the HP and torque?

- What is the HP and torque?

-Any user isues that I should be aware of like saftey, reliablity or lack of add on's availble

-Last is retention of value?

The other bike I'm comparing it to is the V Star 650.

Thanks for any opionions or references to other sites. (i've been to many other sites such as totalmotorcycles.com)
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

NewGuy
Elite
Elite

Re: Looking at new Suzuki C50

#2 Unread post by NewGuy »

Nice bike, but if it was me I'd get the M50 instead. Same basic bike. but you get case wheels v. spokes, and it has pegs v. floorboards. After the frequent loose spokes on my last bike I prefer to have cast wheels. I also prefer cast wheels so I can use tubeless tires. Floorboards are nice, but not that big of a deal to me.

You can get tons of info on those bikes at volusiariders.com (The Boulevard used to be called the Volusia before the 2005 model year).

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#3 Unread post by Thumper »

The Spouse Thingy bought a C50 last year and loves it. We assumed that he'd be replacing the seat right off the bat, and even mentioned that to the sales guy while waiting (post signing the papers committing to buy it) that the seat would probably be the first mod...Sales guy recommended the Spouse Thingy wait and give it a try, because as stock seats go, he thought it was one of the better ones and that it was fairly comfortable.

After 4 months or so, the Spouse Thingy is inclined to agree. He's not looking to swap it out for a Corbin or Mustang and thinks he could go long haul on it.

HP is, I think, around 50, don't know about torque. And there are tons of add-ons for it.

It does have tubeless, cast rims--the touring model has spoked, tubed tires, but he opted for the basic model so that he could get the saddlebags, etc that he wanted.

The only thing he's found about the C50 model he has that he doesn't like is the rear wheel valve stem; he's looking to swap it out for an angled vale stem because checking tire pressure is a PITA with the straight stem. Other than that, he's thrilled with it.

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#4 Unread post by gsJack »

I think you'll find the C50 horsepower as tested on a dyno at the rear wheel to be about the same as your Vulcan 500, about 40 horsepower. The C50 torque is much greater though. MCN tested the 01 Volusia which was the C50 before they went to the Boulevard name and shows 39.9 HP and 42.5 torque. Although they don't show a C50 test the 05 M50 with the same engine is 41.9 HP and 42.1 torque (lb-ft).

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/articles/2010JanIndex.pdf

An 03 Cycle world comparo shows the Vulcan 500 to have 39.5 HP and 28.9 torque for comparison.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v443/ ... deals4.jpg

The same CW comparo also shows 35.3 HP and 34.5 torque for a V-Star 650 Custom.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v443/ ... deals5.jpg

NewGuy
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by NewGuy »

Thumper wrote:It does have tubeless, cast rims--the touring model has spoked, tubed tires, but he opted for the basic model so that he could get the saddlebags, etc that he wanted.
You might want to check the specs on the C50. The "basic" version and the Touring version both have spokes and tubes. Only the Special Edition has cast wheels and tubeless tires.

http://suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines ... 9/C50.aspx

If you click on the link for specs you'll see that the C50 and C50T tires are:
Tires Front 130/90-16M/C 67H, tube type
Tires Rear 170/80-15M/C 77H, tube type

The C50 Special Edition tires are:
Tires Front 130/90-16M/C 67H, tubeless
Tires Rear 170/80-15M/C 77H, tubeless

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#6 Unread post by Thumper »

NewGuy wrote:You might want to check the specs on the C50. The "basic" version and the Touring version both have spokes and tubes. Only the Special Edition has cast wheels and tubeless tires.
I stand corrected. He has the Special Edition. Which means he got a better deal that we thought he was getting...
It does have tubeless tires and cast wheels, though, so at least I got that right ;)

Still...he says it's a smooth ride and wouldn't mind taking it touring, something he never would have done before.
I prefer the lines of the M50, but his C50 is pretty...

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#7 Unread post by jmillheiser »

The C50s seat height is very low. My wife was able to flat foot one and shes 5'3". They are pretty well balanced too, the center of gravity is nice and low making the bike feel pretty light compared to some cruisers *cough* sportster *cough*

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#8 Unread post by zeligman »

I have an 02 volusia 800 - it's my first ride, and I love it.

Ditto on the rear stem issue, it's tight to get in there to check pressure.

I switched to a mustang seat w/backrest, and i was VERY happy to do so - though mine is an 02 and i'm betting stock seats have gotten better since then.

It's very forgiving and friendly to me - especially as new rider (almost a year) - even weighing in at about 600 lbs, it is VERY easy to handle and feels very stable.

great around town, plenty of acceleration to do its business, but i don't think it will ever get out from under you - on the hwy it's very comfy cruising between 65 and 75, and still has a fair bit of ummph left if needed.

PLENTY of accessories/mods available - +1 on volusiariders.com - great site - i got the seats, lindy bars, and a few other bonuses from members at a good price.

that's my nickel!

-Zman
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

Marvin
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha TMAX, 2005 Yamaha FZ6

#9 Unread post by Marvin »

I owned a Suzuki M50 and it was a nightmare, never run right, backfired, rear shoe brakes never worked, wiring and fuel problems, underpowered, uncomfortable with the lean forward riding postion, heavy and hard to ride and handle!
A much better alternative would be either the Honda 750 Shadow, or the Yamaha V Star 650, the Kawasaki 900 Vulcan is in the same class but wouldn't recommend it, its really slow and underpowered for a 900cc, the older 800cc Vulcan was faster and better!
2009 Yamaha TMAX
2008 Suzuki King Quad 750AXI
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC Trd Sport, 6 sp manual

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

Oh no... guys be prepared... MOTOF150 HAS RETURNED!!!!
You old geezers will remember who I'm talking about...
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha