parking your bike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#51 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Bubba wrote:Finally! A city with a bit of common sense. If all city were as intelligent as Toronto, this would be a better world. (small steps)
Believe it or not Calgary (where I am) clamped down on downtown motorcycle parking a year ago. We had 200 or so free motorcycle parking spots downtown and they city axed them all! Commuters used bikes to ride to work, cutting traffic and making the whole downtown environment a lot better.

So what was Calgary solution? 1 motorcycle per paid meter or parking space in a paid lot only. And it isn't like we have extra parking spots downtown, we don't, there is an extreme shortage! It also does nothing for our image to car drivers when they see a line long dotted line of motorcycles taking up all the big space they could have parked in.

Talk about behind the times! Boooo Calgary.

Way to go Toronto, maybe Calgary can look up to them for what to do for riders, downtown traffic and parking issues.

Mike.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Johnny Gaijin
Regular
Regular

seattle

#52 Unread post by Johnny Gaijin »

i live in seattle and we've got these new parking meters that print a ticket you're supposed to stick on the inside of your windshield. so i ask a meter cop "what do i do if i've got a bike?"
"just put it on the tank" she says.
"but someone could just take it off" i say.
"i'm sure that happens" she replies and walks away.

great.
thanks.

also the sticky doesn't stick anywhere if it's raining.

i envy you toronto.

ArcticHarleyMan
Elite
Elite

#53 Unread post by ArcticHarleyMan »

In front of the Toronto Municipal Police Station. I bought a ticket and it was to be placed on the dash of my car. ?? It's a m/cycle, so I went into the station and asked the duty officer about it. He didn't have an answer, so I gave him the stub and said I would be back to pick it up when I left, and would turn in any tickets I got. Fair enough he said, and sure enough, when I got back there were 3 tickets on my bike. The officer just cancelled them for me.
Cool. :mrgreen:

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#54 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Bubba wrote:Finally! A city with a bit of common sense. If all city were as intelligent as Toronto, this would be a better world. (small steps)
Toonto.....intelligent....those words dont usually go togther...

I think you have to be an Ontarian to be as fully amazed at that statement.....

I park where Id normally park if I was driving my cage, I make sure to be visible if its in a lot though. since some people tend to zip fairly fast into "unoccupied" parking spaces...
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

CajunBass
Elite
Elite

#55 Unread post by CajunBass »

At work we have a concreat bike parking lot. Actually a couple of them, depending on which gate you use. At home I park in the driveway.

When I have to stop somewhere and am going to be gone for more than to run into a convience store or something, I park as far from the building as I can reasonably. I figure most people are too lazy to walk any more than they have to, and I'm not.
[color=red]For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.[/color]
John 3:16 (NKJV)

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#56 Unread post by sv-wolf »

In the UK, a motorcycle is officially classified as a bicycle and bicycles do not have to pay to park. However, try taking this one up with a traffic warden! The parking ticket problem seems to be universal.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

Candy750
Legendary
Legendary

#57 Unread post by Candy750 »

Parking Lot
I was taught to park diagonally in the space. I think this is to make it harder to tip if the car door in the next space is opened too far, the guy bumps the bike. Also, not to take the "end" as that is the "clippy" spot - everyone cuts that corner... If I see other bikes, I might park near them.

Home
I park in the garage.

Street
Again, kind of diagonally off the curb to have the front tire be at about the same point the edge of a car would be. to keep visible.

Sidewalks in front of places
Not at the mall, but have at a truck stop/motel and a restaurant. Wanted to be as close to something as possible knowing that there were 18 wheelers being driven through - they'd run Candy over like a bug and not even notice.

When we go out in groups
so far not more than 8 - it is like we take over parking in a row... I don't know why, but there is just something so very cool about a whole glistening row of paint and chrome!

At work
there is a ticket that would hang from the rear view mirror of the jeep. I see one bike withthe ticket under the strap of his seat. I imagine that once the dude knew it was my bike, I owuldn't need the ticket - he knows "the regulars" who are assigned to the lot.

Indoor lots
No bikes allowed

Last winter my 600 was parked in the dining room. The 750's handle bars are too wide to fit through the front door!
Candy 750

anubiss
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Parking

#58 Unread post by anubiss »

I work at a public utility company and our entire compound is surrounded with chain link fencing with barbed wire on top and card key only entrance. I really like it.
Anubis
Always ride defensively, or at least try to be as inoffencive as possible.
Ride often, ride safe
2008 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, Ultra Classic, Vivid Black

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#59 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

I'll park on the side walk next to the entrance of the store if it's a nice wide walk way where I'm not in anyones way. Otherwise I just park in a parknig spot, and never pull all the way up. As someone previously mentioned you're more visible this way.
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!