parking your bike

frisch
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

parking your bike

#1 Unread post by frisch »

Over the years i've seen a whole lot of bikes parked in really weird places. Sidewalks in front of stores, marked off areas, and even right in the middle of where people need to either walk or drive.

So i decided to ask the experienced bikers. Have any of you guys ever gotten in any trouble for parking your bike where it obviously shouldn't be parked?

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#2 Unread post by ZooTech »

I park on the side-walk out in front of Rooster's in German Village (downtown Columbus, Ohio), but no one seems to care because parking is scarce around there and you gotta take what you can get.

honda599
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by honda599 »

Usually can park in some obscure places without trouble as long as it's not blocking or in the way.

I like the fact that some malls are actually building motorcycle only parking close to the main doors.

MarkyPancake
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by MarkyPancake »

honda599 wrote:I like the fact that some malls are actually building motorcycle only parking close to the main doors.
A lot of UK supermarkets already do this.

We have allocated parking for bikes where I work, either outside or in the multi-storey, and likewise when I go to town the car parks/multi-storeys have allocated bike parking.

At home I park it in the garage.

The "weirdest" place I've parked is in the living room of my girlfriends rented house when she was at Uni.

blair
Legendary
Legendary

#5 Unread post by blair »

honda599 wrote:I like the fact that some malls are actually building motorcycle only parking close to the main doors.
The only place around here that I go to that has motorcycle-specific parking is... the bicycle store... :shock:
'93 Honda VT600CD Shadow VLX Deluxe

Meanie
Legendary
Legendary

#6 Unread post by Meanie »

Sidewalks...whenever possible. But if it's in the way of passerbys, I will not park there.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

canadianbacon
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by canadianbacon »

What a great question....I just recently had to go and visit my dad in the hospital. They have the automated parking machines there that clearly state that you must pay for the duration of you parking and display the purchased parking receipt on your dash so as not to get a fine.

Ok so how do you place a ticket on a bike dash without someone comming along and swiping it for their own? In a car you can close your windows and lock your doors, but on a bike....well you see my point....and at 20 minutes per $1 I was not going to purchase a ticket, so I parked by the bicycle racks and out of the way of pedestrians.

Has anyone been ticketed on their bike for not displaying the appropriate receipts on their dash (bike dash that is)? If you have, did you fight the ticket...and did you win? Just curious as I dont really want ther hastle of going to traffic court if this happens...

Cheers...

MarkyPancake
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by MarkyPancake »

canadianbacon wrote:What a great question....I just recently had to go and visit my dad in the hospital. They have the automated parking machines there that clearly state that you must pay for the duration of you parking and display the purchased parking receipt on your dash so as not to get a fine.

Ok so how do you place a ticket on a bike dash without someone comming along and swiping it for their own? In a car you can close your windows and lock your doors, but on a bike....well you see my point....and at 20 minutes per $1 I was not going to purchase a ticket, so I parked by the bicycle racks and out of the way of pedestrians.
All pay and display car parks I have been to in my town are free for motorcycles; just park in the designated area and off you go.

Flite
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by Flite »

I usually park in the regular spaces, but in the past I've parked in hashed end-line areas, and in the space between rows that some parking lots have. The worst I've ever gotten was a polite request by one of the mall security patrols to park in a regular space next time. Around here though, it's common enough to see someone riding right up on the sidewalk to park right up in the front of the shops at a strip mall, so I suppose they were happy enough that I was at least in the parking lot.
2001 Yamaha YZF-R1 'Big Blue'

Randy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2007/Honda/CBR1000

#10 Unread post by Randy »

Don't tell anyone, but I parked in the Jury Parking lot almost every day I visited the old part of Sacramento. I talked to a couple of people that worked at the Jury Comissioners office (while I was really on Jury Duty). All of them said that they never ticket motorcycles because there is no place to put the Jury Duty parking slip. Needless to say I took this to mean that I could park there whenever I felt like it. That probably makes me a bad person, but I am okay with that.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer Simpson
05 Yamaha VMAX
04 Suzuki SV650
05 Suzuki RMZ450