Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha TMAX, 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Super Scooters

#1 Unread post by Marvin »

Suzuki Burgman
Honda Silverwing
Yamaha TMAX
Piaggio MP3

Are these considered scooters, or crossovers?
These 4 scooters have perfomance and handling close to any sportbike, all can exceed any legal speed limit.
The engineering of these scooters is state of the art with perfect balance and center of gravity with advanced engines.
They offer comfortable riding, no vibration, excellent wind and weather protection and super reliability, with added storage space under the seat and are easy to ride and control.
I believe these scooters are the future of motorcycles
People that cut them down and make fun of them have never been on one!
I own the Yamaha TMAX and I love it, so when a big cruiser rider makes a snide remark asking me "If I bought it at Wal Mart", I just laugh ha ha ha, thinking he's too dumb and stupid to know better, he has never been on one, and if he did, he would love it!
2009 Yamaha TMAX
2008 Suzuki King Quad 750AXI
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC Trd Sport, 6 sp manual

storysunfolding
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

Re: Super Scooters

#2 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Marvin wrote:Suzuki Burgman
Honda Silverwing
Yamaha TMAX
Piaggio MP3

Are these considered scooters, or crossovers?
There really isn't a clear definition of scooter. However, the generally accepted thought is a motorcycle with a step through frame, cvt transmission, smaller than average wheels with a motor mounted on the swing arm. Other than the last, it describes this series of bike so I'd call it a scooter.
These 4 scooters have perfomance and handling close to any sportbike, all can exceed any legal speed limit.
A ninja 250 and honda rebel 250 can exceed any legal speed limit. While these are definitely cool bikes, you're kidding yourself if you think they have performance and handling close to any sportbike. Your Tmax for instance has 44 hp and 45 ft/lbs of torque compared to a R6 with granted similar torque at 50.2 ft lbs but hp just over 100. Furthermore, the available lean angle on the R6 is much greater, paired with more powerful brakes and a much high quality suspension. Your bike is definitely cool, it looks great and it rides smooth, but it won't have the performance and handling of a bike that's purpose built to maximize those qualities. Of course, your bike will also be more comfortable for that very reason.
The engineering of these scooters is state of the art with perfect balance and center of gravity with advanced engines.
As are most new motorcycles over $6k.
I believe these scooters are the future of motorcycles
I don't agree with you there. I don't think theres any one design that will be the future. I love sportbikes and adventure tourers with a new found interest in sidecar rigs. These scoots can't address my current wants. They're great for some people, but not everyone.
People that cut them down and make fun of them have never been on one!
Just so this is in the open. I've ridden all these but the T-MAx and even tried the MP3 in a track environment.
I own the Yamaha TMAX and I love it, so when a big cruiser rider makes a snide remark asking me "If I bought it at Wal Mart", I just laugh ha ha ha, thinking he's too dumb and stupid to know better, he has never been on one, and if he did, he would love it!
[/quote][/quote]

So he judges you and you judge him... so you're better?
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

Couple of years back, I was following what I thought was either a sport bike or sport tourer down River Road heading towards Delta BC, a fairly twisty bit of pavement. When I caught up and over took him, I was surprised to see it was a Honda Silverwing scooter. I was rather impressed by both the speed and the cornering of that scoot while following him, sort of changed my mind about them to be honest.
Always ask why.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#4 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

I was always curious about the MP3, except that I hate the name.

Storysunfolding's definition of a scooter is good, but I can't help but wonder about the increasing number of motorcycles in which clutch is optional, semi-auto transmission. No step through, and the good tires.

I have to admit, I've never ridden a scooter. I'm not too enthusiastic about ever riding one, either, but I will say this....

Its got two wheels* and that makes it a cool vehicle to me.

*with certain exceptions
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

JTRogue
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2008 Kawasaki Versys

#5 Unread post by JTRogue »

I ride a 2005 Burgman, last year it was my main mode of transportation. I howerver prefer to have my legs over straddling a traditional motorbike. I understand the lack of respect and understanding of the real preformance that these machines can provide.

Someday I want add luggage and a better seat to the Burgman and turn it into a real tourer but for now, my focus is elsewhere.
1982 Honda SilverWing GL500
2008 Hyosung Rally Prima 50 (dorky but fun)
2005 Suzuki Burgman AN650
2008 Kawasaki Versys KLE650A

Quo Vadimus

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#6 Unread post by jmillheiser »

JTRogue wrote:I ride a 2005 Burgman, last year it was my main mode of transportation. I howerver prefer to have my legs over straddling a traditional motorbike. I understand the lack of respect and understanding of the real preformance that these machines can provide.

Someday I want add luggage and a better seat to the Burgman and turn it into a real tourer but for now, my focus is elsewhere.
you seem to like small touring rigs;) Not sure how that GL500 would be on modern interstates though, it would have to be geared taller than my CX was to be tolerable for long rides. 60 miles was about the limit without a rest stop on my CX500 (same "Guzzi style" engine as your GL500).

One of those big scooters could make for a real comfy and inexpensive touring rig. I just could never get used to the riding position on one, Im just a little too accustomed to rearsets.

JTRogue
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by JTRogue »

The Old GL500 has been relagated to weekends, and special occasion duty. It does highway speed no problem, I just prefer the better handling and ride on the newer machines. But it hits 70+ MPH no problem and it is very comfortable. The RPMS get up there when you hit 70 but it manages it just fine.

Quo Vadimus

Mokushi
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Yamaha YBR125

#8 Unread post by Mokushi »

Those four in the first post are maxi-Scooters, aren't they?
"The best thing about the British is our ability to laugh at ourselves. By ourselves I mean other people. And by laugh I mean invade." - Jimmy Carr

JTRogue
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by JTRogue »

Yes they are I am familiar more with the T-max, Burgman and Silverwing 600. Not as familiar with the Piaggio MP3. Super Scooters, maxi scooters, all kinds of different names to use.

Quo Vadimus

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

The leader of our demo ride group laat night was riding a Yamaha Majesty. Cripes...that thing can go fast. I was very surprised. It would be a great commuter machine.