Does carrying a passenger warrant adjusting my chain?

pilot_greg
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2002 Suzuki GSX-R750

Does carrying a passenger warrant adjusting my chain?

#1 Unread post by pilot_greg »

I have my chain perfectly dialed in for me, which was a pain, so I'm resisting making the adjustment just to carry a passenger, but I'm not sure if I'm asking for trouble or not. In the past I used to carry a lot more passengers, so I had it adjusted a little loose, but now I usually ride alone, so I've adjusted it a little more accurately.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Greg

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Does carrying a passenger warrant adjusting my chain?

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Nope, the chain should be adjusted so that it's tight when suspension is compressed and the pivot length is at maximum anyway, so there is no need to adjust your chain for carrying a passenger. If you do it's way too tight to begin with.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

pilot_greg
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by pilot_greg »

Wait a second... So it shouldn't even be adjusted for me? Should I go and crank down my swing arm with a ratcheting tie down and readjust it since its only adjusted to my weight? I have it so that there is 20-30 mm of play while my 200lbs is on it...

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Nope, the only thing that is adjusted for your weight is your suspension. Your chain should have 20-30 mm of play while the bike is on the sidestand according to the manual. (And I wasn't sure so I logged into the website and checked... haha)
But yeah 20-30 mm of play at the loosest point on the chain (chains stretch non-uniformly) while the bike is on it's sidestand.
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

pilot_greg
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by pilot_greg »

Hmmm... thats what it says in my maintenance manual as well, but I've been told on more than one occasion that that is not right, so I'm wondering whats right in this case? I know the maintenance manual is supposed to have all of the answers, but its led me wrong in the past in dealing with sprocket installation and such, so I guess I'll need to call the local shop for some guidance. I'll bet if I ask 10 people I get 10 different answers on this, since it was a bike mechanic that I ride with who told me to do it under my own weight rather than without anything there.

On a side note, what possible problems could arise from having a chain which is too lose? Extra chain lash? or do I run the risk of running the chain off the sprocket? Again, I've got it set to 20mm-30mm (all the way around since its a new chain) of play with my 200lbs on board.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

With some bikes you do it with no weight on the bike at all, others are on the sidestand. I've never heard of doing it with weight on the bike. And that includes my instructors down at MMI, so I tend to go with them. Most of them have well over 20 years field experience.

Too loose will wear your sprockets just as quick as too tight will. With that loose it's still not really possible to run it off of the sprockets, but you want your stuff relatively tight. It will also slap against your swingarm and wear that through.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#7 Unread post by HYPERR »

Yes in theory the chain should be adjusted with the rider(s) weight compressing the suspension.

If one is really ana, that would be the way to do it. However, re-adjusting it each time you carry a passenger is beyond ana and totally impractical as you will have to readjust it back to solo.

That is what the preload on the forks and the rear shock is for. They should be adjusted for rider(s) weight and to keep the ride height constant.

The factory manual assumes a certain ride height when they call for a certain chain tension.

If you constantly carry a passenger, just set the chain on the looser side of tolerance and be done with it.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

pilot_greg
Regular
Regular

#8 Unread post by pilot_greg »

Well, I guess its time for me to readjust the thing again... Since its loose, I'll need to tighten it up so that the sidestand chain play is 20mm-30mm. Of course I'm going to have to call the shop to at least get their impression. Maybe because I'm heavier than average, taking my weight into account is a good idea?

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by HYPERR »

pilot_greg wrote:Well, I guess its time for me to readjust the thing again... Since its loose, I'll need to tighten it up so that the sidestand chain play is 20mm-30mm. Of course I'm going to have to call the shop to at least get their impression. Maybe because I'm heavier than average, taking my weight into account is a good idea?
I don't understand what you still need to ask the shop. :boat:

The answer in theory is yes and in practicality and real world term, a huge NO.

If one is indeed that ana, yes the proper procedure is to have the rider and the passenger get on the bike, set the proper sag by adjusting the front and rear preload, then adjust the chain for the proper tension. And if one is ana enough to do that, they will have to reverse the procedure all over again when going back to solo.

I don't know anyone that ana and quite frankly they would probably wear out the adjusting nuts from the constant adjustments.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

Yeah don't worry about taking your weight into account. I'm over 300 lbs and can use the bikes stock chain clearance. It's 20-30 mm of free play when you are on the sidestand because at that point when the suspension is fully compressed your chain is tight, but not overly tight.