totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: How fast is too fast ?

#21 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

JC Viper wrote:Even though the GPz900R was only capable of 150MPH I was able to take it to 160MPH (GPS as the speedo cable had broken a while back) with some throttle/ revs left. I think the guy who owned the bike before me modified it more than I knew about but it fuels perfectly and is steady until 130MPH (no vibrations or wind pressure).
That's very fast on a mid* 80's bike. *hmmm, do you as well call 1980-83 early, 84-86 mid and 87-99 late?
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Markg1
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '09 Vrod and '10 Vmax

#22 Unread post by Markg1 »

Hey guys , I'm new here and thought I'd put my two cents in on this one. When I first bought my '10 vmax (I maybe had it a month) I found myself behind a few cars that were traveling way below the speed limits. I decide to pass the three cars and by the time I had finished passing I was traveling 125 mph! I really didn't think I was traveling that fast. The bike was very comfortable at that speed but i'm not sure that 's a speed people should be traveling on public roads. But it sure was fun!

Mg
Life may begin at 30 but it gets real interesting at 140!

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#23 Unread post by JC Viper »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
JC Viper wrote:Even though the GPz900R was only capable of 150MPH I was able to take it to 160MPH (GPS as the speedo cable had broken a while back) with some throttle/ revs left. I think the guy who owned the bike before me modified it more than I knew about but it fuels perfectly and is steady until 130MPH (no vibrations or wind pressure).
That's very fast on a mid* 80's bike. *hmmm, do you as well call 1980-83 early, 84-86 mid and 87-99 late?

I guess I would call it a mid 80's bike... or when trusting after newer bikes I would call it an old hunk of junk :laughing:

The top speed is nothing compared to modern 600 - 1000cc sport bikes. The only positive is the huge amount of torque available to me allowing the bike to reach 1/4 mile times close to that of a Hayabusa (possibly quicker in this current state of tuning).
Last edited by JC Viper on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#24 Unread post by JC Viper »

Markg1 wrote:Hey guys , I'm new here and thought I'd put my two cents in on this one. When I first bought my '10 vmax (I maybe had it a month) I found myself behind a few cars that were traveling way below the speed limits. I decide to pass the three cars and by the time I had finished passing I was traveling 125 mph! I really didn't think I was traveling that fast. The bike was very comfortable at that speed but i'm not sure that 's a speed people should be traveling on public roads. But it sure was fun!

Mg
Yeah, same here. If I think about keeping a certain speed I couldn't tell the difference between 80mph and 100mph on a calm day which ended up forcing me to keep a real close eye on the speedo. When gassing it up on an on-ramp I managed to break 130MPH by the time I merged and the throttle wasn't even halfway while in 4th. Thankfully the brakes are just as powerful.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#25 Unread post by Wrider »

Just noticed you said your top speed. Sounds about like a modern 600-750's top speed stock!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#26 Unread post by High_Side »

JC Viper wrote:
The top speed is nothing compared to modern 600 - 1000cc sport bikes. The only positive is the huge amount of torque available to me allowing the bike to reach 1/4 mile times close to that of a Hayabusa (possibly quicker in this current state of tuning).
Ahem, not bloody likely. :P

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#27 Unread post by Wrider »

Didn't notice that... Yeah unless you're talking a 10 second flat bike I don't think so. The busa is a torque motor yet still has the horsepower to nail 200 MPH.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#28 Unread post by JC Viper »

The GPz900R recorded 1/4 times in the high 10s stock form and one managed to get 10.55. Considering mine has been modified it possibly can either run with it to an extent as many publications stated similar 1/4 for a stock 'Busa.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#29 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wrider wrote:Didn't notice that... Yeah unless you're talking a 10 second flat bike I don't think so. The busa is a torque motor yet still has the horsepower to nail 200 MPH.
Personally, I love torque more than horsepower, there is nothing like the sense of acceleration rush. :D
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Loonette
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#30 Unread post by Loonette »

I've done 120mph on my Mean Streak (that's 193kph for you metric types). The bike felt great, and I was doing OK as well, but the notion that a deer, dog, sheep, or cow could pop onto the road at any second left me feeling more than unsettled. So that was enough of that. My typical "fast", when needed and when relatively safe, is 85 - 90mph (137 - 145kph).

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600