flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

Need endurance for long rides - need suggestions

#1 Unread post by flw »

End of last season I bought a Gold wing for some touring. Only had about two months left in the season so I got comfortable with the bike weight and general size but not my personal endurance for distance.

I would like to take a couple nice long rides this summer but need to build up my endurance and see what I can safely do.

In a step program how far should I start out and then increase by a factor of what when ok with the starting distance? All distances are in round trip. So I was thinking of step one being 200 miles.

Personal info. Started riding again 4 years ago and have 15,000 mile from country roads to the interstates. I'm around 50 years old and do have a lower back issue. Also else if fine.

Once comfortable with that 200 round trip, what would be the logical next round trip distance and so on ? I'll be riding by myself and I'd like to complete my distance training in one month over 4 to 5 weekends only.

Suggestions?

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: Need endurance for long rides - need suggestions

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

If you want to build up your endurance for long rides, you can shorten the training process significantly by stepping up your physical fitness level. The more "in shape" you are, the better you are able to tolerate sitting on a bike for long periods of time. A bit of weight training will help develop the muscles needed to manouever the bike, as well as help strengthen the lower back - which is a critical factor in ride comfort. You'll need to consult with your doctor to see what methods and levels of weight training are suitable for your condition.

Starting out with 200mi round trips is a good idea, then you can just increase the distances as much as you are able to handle. An important part of long distance traveling is to take regular scheduled breaks, I find that a 10 minute stop (which includes rehydrating, stretching exercises and a short walk) every 2hrs goes a long ways towards extending my riding day.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Gummiente has some great points above. Let me add that staying dry and warm also will add to your endurance as well as packing some quick energy foods and water on your bike as well.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#4 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Check this article out. http://www.masondixon20-20.org/Fatigue.pdf Written by an accomplished long distance rider and former Surgeon General of the US Navy.

There are some interesting points made.

From personal experience I've got to agree with the recommendation of getting yourself in better physical condition. No need to run any marathons, just make a it a point to be more active. I've seen the results myself, in an annual ride I make from Baltimore,MD to Wilmington, NC. In my "unfit" condition, I'm mentally (and physically) fading before I reach the southern VA border. In my "fit" condition, I'm not even aware of being fatigued at that same point in the ride, and arrive at the hotel feeling only a bit stiff/tired from the trip.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#5 Unread post by JC Viper »

Stretching does wonders for long distance riding. Make the most out of gas stops and you should be doing a routine before you go on a long trip. The neck, back and shoulders are critical points.

Do some neck rotations, turn the head side to side, tilt the head side to side, up and down then move on to the shoulders and do a forward stretch then a backward stretch, preferably holding onto a bar. The backward stretch should be done carefully because you would be lowering your body while the arms are holding onto a bar in back of you palm facing downward. Then move on to various back stretches and leg stretches. This should help loosen you up and get blood flowing. If you're in sub optimal shape consult a doctor. Men's Health Weight Free Workout is a nice book to have.

Dress to keep warm and dry if it's cool out, keep hydrated and vented if warm/ hot.

Also take deep relaxed breaths/ breathe calmly/ breathe in general. I know it sounds odd but proper breathing has a big effect on mental and muscle health. Many of my ex-riding buddies told me they get fatigued/ panic easily and I ask them about their breathing. They respond that it's usually short and rapid or they tend to hold in their breath a bit.

I've found that my martial arts training has helped me increase my endurance, even for riding, due to the stretching and exercises. Getting used to riding a long distance is also key. I've been able to ride several hours/ states on a whim at highway speed and with gusting winds thanks to those things.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#6 Unread post by sapaul »

Diet also plays a part. I love my long distance riding and have no problems with 8-10 hours or even more in the saddle. Over the years I have found that a good diet plays a big part. People will do what is convenient and quick when on the road. Burgers, pizza's and fast foods will all bugger up your metabolism when you ride. Carb spikes and dips will soon leave you feeling tired. Low GI and plenty protein with lots of hydration will increase the endurance by a long way. Also make sure you get plenty sleep before and during the trip. Combine this with the advice above and there is no reason why you cannot do these extended trips.

I recently Marshaled an 8 day cycle tour (there is a thread on TMW) and followed my own advice. There was 20 Marshals on the tour and the vast majority complained about being tired, especially as the adrenalin wore off. SHO, some of these guys were 10-15 years younger than me. I am admittedly overweight and I did not feel the effects that these guys complained about. No sore muscles or aching bones or being overly tired.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#7 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Sleep well so that you are well rested!
Andrea :sun:

guitardad
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by guitardad »

The tips on fitness are right on point. The other question is: How well does the bike fit you? So starting with your 200 mile trips - what makes you so uncomfortable that you have to get off the bike? Fix that - bar backs, better seat, reposition the foot pegs, whatever it is. Then take another trip, and make it a longer one. 400 miles, maybe. What you'd like to do is to ride until something makes you stop, and then fix that thing. To really fight the ftigue, you want to make the cockpit of your bikek the most comfortable place in the world for you.

Also - you don't say what you consider a long trip. That bit of information might help us with our advice for you.
Chaz (LL's my better half!)
'94 R1100RS "Clifford" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
'79 R65 "Hans" - Just as red, half as fast

a_hippie
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 1985 1100 Shadow

#9 Unread post by a_hippie »

Hi flw:

200 miles is a good start. What hurts after that? Cold, hot? Cramps? how's your back after that little run? How's your neck?

My butt hurt with stock seat. My butt still hurt after I had my saddle rebuilt. I finally had a local rip shop out some stuffing right at my tailbone--that made a HUGE improvement. I had a back rest fabricated and that also made it possible to do more than 12 hours in the saddle. My helmet is full face flip-up and also helps reduce wind, exhaust noise. I added communication bluetooth and that helped with long rides being able to make 2-way contacts and enjoy broadcast FM.

My first big ride on this machine was about 1500 miles. Later I did a two month USA trip of about 10K miles.

When you get tired, stop. I had one day when I had to stop over a dozen times since I kept getting sleepy. No kidding! Sleepy while riding my bike in huge winds in western Oregon/Washington. Anyway, learn what you can do and don't over do it.

Sometimes a motel a few hundred miles down the road is better than . . . . you know what I mean.

ride safe and enjoy the bike.

regards,
Wishing you my best

1985 Honda Shadow VT-1100

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by roscowgo »

what they all said in spades.

do so e fitness training.
get the right stuff to keep you comfy while you ride