totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Budget Jacket and Boots

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Update: This is interesting, Red Wing Boots now make Motorcycle Boots with steel, aluminum and non-metalic toes.... Hmmm..

http://www.redwingshoes.com/motorcycle-boots
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#12 Unread post by JC Viper »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
JC Viper wrote:They have composite toe boots that are lighter and just as strong... and don't show up on metal detectors....
Have you tried those? What brand (if so), do you like them?

Mike
I have tactical Magnum boots that contain a composite toe protector and non-metallic shank. It holds up as well as steel toe on my Timberland and Magnum Steel Toe boots. They also fit a bit like sneakers due to the composite being easier to shape and not leave a bulge and doesn't conduct heat or cold. The awesome part is only $90 was spent for them and haven't had any issues with them in accidents. I would opt for the 8" boots in the future even though 6" is sufficient.

JVRR, the Call To Arms is bada$$ and it would probably look good with the right helmet on a sport bike. :mrgreen:
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

JVRR
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

#13 Unread post by JVRR »

JC Viper wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:
JC Viper wrote:They have composite toe boots that are lighter and just as strong... and don't show up on metal detectors....
Have you tried those? What brand (if so), do you like them?

Mike
I have tactical Magnum boots that contain a composite toe protector and non-metallic shank. It holds up as well as steel toe on my Timberland and Magnum Steel Toe boots. They also fit a bit like sneakers due to the composite being easier to shape and not leave a bulge and doesn't conduct heat or cold. The awesome part is only $90 was spent for them and haven't had any issues with them in accidents. I would opt for the 8" boots in the future even though 6" is sufficient.

JVRR, the Call To Arms is bada$$ and it would probably look good with the right helmet on a sport bike. :mrgreen:
My only concern at this point is the added (I suspect) water resistance of the Off the Chain. Also, the call to arms has a lot of metal on the front, I have noticed some serious scuffs on my tank and I started freaking out (well I don't really freak out, but as close as I get)... I think they will all buff out but the only thing I can think of is zippers on my jacket I have been wearing. I am thinking it is the color though, and not the metal itself, the scuffs are a weird brown, and like I said I think they will all buff out...

That and my cheap "O Ring" is still considering the Fieldsheer Congo... I would just hate to get it and have it not fit right or not like it, $130 more for a jacket that will last longer (I would probably buy one of them anyway when I have a steadier job) and that I know I like and fits well, is not bad. Being big it is not easy to find things that fit well like that.

Hopefully not too far in the future I will slim down a bit more and be able to have a wider selection of leathers (and even textiles). That first 100lbs came off so easy, who would have thought it would be such a battle to lose a few more! :lol:

Need to order though, I got some kerosene and the Dupont wax, but want that grunge brush I have in my order. Been avoiding riding too much, mostly if it will be wet out as my chain is due for a waxing. Doing a hiking trip this weekend with the Boy Scouts though and probably will not have good weather between now and then :(.
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

The scuffs on your tank should rub out with some good wax, polish and elbow grease. I know what you mean about putting scratches on your tank, it sucks. If you keep the tank well waxed then it will protect the paint better. Also you could look for a tank pad, tank bra or tank protector. Maybe even wrap up the ends of the zipper pull with a little black electrical tape so if they do make contact with the tank then it will be softer than metal.

Textile jackets are pretty waterproof. It's the seams or rivets/buttons that leak, so the less the better. I still wear rain gear with my Joe Rocket if it's heavy rain out, otherwise I'm dry in normal rain.

MIke

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

JVRR
Elite
Elite

#15 Unread post by JVRR »

The Call to Arms is Cotton/Poly blend, don't think thats super waterproof :x

If I go that route I just have to decide which color :roll:

-JV

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#16 Unread post by JC Viper »

My leather jacket is supposed to only be water resistant but it takes a hell of a soaking before it lets any moisture through. Of course the jacket does get a bit heavy when wet and it doesn't smell to pleasant in that condition. I bought it from a small company at the International Motorcycle Show.

The only jacket I've had that never let any water in was one from First Gear. Made me look a little state trooperish for my tastes...

I agree with the tank pad idea should you find yourself riding with that jacket. Most people put tank pads on their sport bikes because those things do get scuffed regardless of what jacket, especially when crouched over.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

JVRR
Elite
Elite

#17 Unread post by JVRR »

Went with the Speed and Strength Call to Arms (black), Fly Racing FL1 gloves, and the Shift Kicker boots. Have ridden with the jacket and gloves and love 'em both. Gloves may be a little tight, and were a little cold in the high-30 weather tonight :D but... I think they will stretch out at least a little. Jacket is awesome!

Still wearing boots around the house, but honestly now confident I will keep them, will ride with them tomorrow (or next opportunity).

None of the gear ended up being all that budget oriented, but definitely not expensive either (relative). The jacket came in at $197 after tax (got the local dealership to give me 10%), gloves were just over $50 (cheaper on Superstore than anywhere else) and boots I paid more than the Fuel's I was planning on... but found them to be more comfortable actually. Next I just need some pants, really want some of the kevlar jeans, but starting a new job on Monday and depending on how often/easy it is to ride may need overpants instead (have to dress "business casual", which is ridiculous, I wear a tie to the bar, why can't I wear one to work!)

BTW I e-mailed S&S about the jacket, I was curious as most websites list it as a vest liner, and do not mention back armor. I tried it on (and indeed confirmed today when purchased) it has a full sleeve liner and back armor. They e-mailed back saying that is not true, and I said well I tried it on and it definitely had full sleeve liner, back armor I would have to double-check. They responded that it was their mistake about liner, but no spine armor and I noticed their website is already updated to list full-sleeve liner :D. Curiously enough, my jacket came with spine armor, I doubt the dealer threw them in for care and giggles? Will have to send them another email!

-JV

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

The gear looks good and looks like it will protect you well. The "boots" are interesting, are they shoe rubber soles or??

Although I would caution it is very dark and mono-tone, which may cause you to be more unseen on the roads. Make sure you get a brighter helmet or wear some reflectiveness on you.

Dark clothing increases the odds of those left hand turns in front of you and the "But officer, I didn't see him".

JVRR
Elite
Elite

#19 Unread post by JVRR »

totalmotorcycle wrote:The gear looks good and looks like it will protect you well. The "boots" are interesting, are they shoe rubber soles or??

Although I would caution it is very dark and mono-tone, which may cause you to be more unseen on the roads. Make sure you get a brighter helmet or wear some reflectiveness on you.

Dark clothing increases the odds of those left hand turns in front of you and the "But officer, I didn't see him".
Cannot really tell about the bottom, but they are covered in hard armor and have a very nice heel/ankle cage. I am very confident in them, and still comfortable enough (I think, we will see when tested!) to spend a day out in them.

I am on a bright yellow bike, if they do not see me, I was doing something wrong :lol:.
-JV