JVRR
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

Budget Jacket and Boots

#1 Unread post by JVRR »

I am going to copy paste what I have going on over at GSTwins for simplicity. I am on a tight budget and looking first for boots, and I could probably wrangle up the money for a budget jacket perhaps, maybe even a nice one... but working so little these days... anyway... Any comments at what I am looking at?

Boots
I am debating between three now. The Shift Fuel @ $100, Alpinestar Ridge @ $130 and the Joe Rocket Super Street @ $160. I like the price of the Fuel, like the convenience (so easy to put on and off) and waterproof of the Ridge, and like the Super Street because they fit nice, provide the most protection, and are, well, cool looking :D. I also really want to try the Joe Rocket Velocity, but I am so picky about shoes and cannot find them local to try on...

I am leaning away from the Alpinestars, I feel like the boot advantage is largely missing because they are so soft and flexible, yes very comfortable, and would protect against flying rocks (which sure hurt but whatever not worried about that), but not do much to protect the ankle I think. Which brings me to the Super Streets or the Fuels. Part of me feels like safety gear is only valuable when worn, and the shoes are so much more reasonable. Plus much friendlier to my budget (and when I get a job I would not feel as bad about running out and buying a nice pair of boots, harder to justify that if I already had boots). But part of me feels like I might as well go for maximum protection, but probably mostly I like the look of the boots (and the sliders and lack of laces are a plus!).

Someone pointed me towards the Shift Kicker boots, similar to the Fuel, but slightly more expensive and taller. I would be nervous ordering them online since they are a little taller (some I tried on in-store felt like they cut into my ankle) but could probably convince myself to try them

Jacket
I have not really found a jacket that I put on and really liked.  My favorite so far has probably been the Speed and Strength Call to Arms, but for the moment it is definitely outside my price range. I do want to try their Off the Chain, I like the hood and back armor, but cannot find one local to try on (and still out of my price range). I may just break down and buy one of these closeout jackets, likely the Speed and Strength Fame and Fortune ($110) or Fieldsheer High Flow II ($55), Fieldsheer Congo ($70), or even one of the armored hoodies.

Though it is hard to convince myself to spend $100 on a jacket I have no idea if I will like or not, when I could just spend $200 on one I have tried on :-X.
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

Re: Budget Jacket and Boots

#2 Unread post by JC Viper »

Joe Rocket makes great gear so I'd bet on their boots. I haven't had any of their stuff disappoint me. You can "Like" or "Friend" them on Facebook and ask some questions for feedback. I did and it was like having customer service. Who knows, maybe they'll even give you a discount.

I hope you factored in/ own some riding pants and gloves. Pants with knee armor/ padding is just as important.

Just some interesting tidbits at New Enough (name apparently changed) as I was browsing new gear for myself.
$45 jacket:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/cl ... acket.html

Not waterproof/ resistant as it has no liner and the armor is lightweight though still CE approved... :shock: .

Here's a nice compromise. Good Armor and decent price.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/ja ... acket.html
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

JVRR
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by JVRR »

Well damn. I have more money than I thought. Actually quite a bit more. But still nowhere near to the savings I was supposed to have after moving back from Russia... what to do now... what to do... :shock:
-JV

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#4 Unread post by JC Viper »

But who could pass up the thought of owning a $45 jacket? :cowboy:
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

JVRR
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by JVRR »

JC Viper wrote:But who could pass up the thought of owning a $45 jacket? :cowboy:
Well I am thinking why spend $50 on a jacket if I am just going to turn around and buy a nicer one when I have money soon. And no need for two at this point.

By the way, someone who lives in Seattle and wants something with some vent options and a little more thickness to it, I am not looking for waterproof, but water resistant would be nice :mrgreen:.

Really stuck between the Speed and Strength Call to Arms or the Off the Chain. Only thing that makes me nervous is some of their older jackets seem to have zipper issues but I tried the Call to Arms on in-store and it seemed well made.

I like the styling and fit of the Call to Arms, the liner also sounds more useful. However, I like the back armor and more water resistant materials of the Off the Chain. Hopefully get out in the next couple days to a couple more places to see if I can find one (or others) to try on!

Could still try to save money and go with the Speed and Strength Fame and Fortune, or Fieldsheer Congo Mesh.

So many choices!
-JV

JVRR
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by JVRR »

Ouch, car repair bill is going to be way higher than I thought (having windshield wiper motor replaced alone is around $600, only $270 of which warranty will cover)!

AKA No jacket anytime soon, maybe the Congo jacket, going to try one more place tomorrow or Saturday to try some stuff on.
-JV

JVRR
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by JVRR »

Well I spent all day out at several different shops, and barely got back in time for work (okay I did not, I was fifteen minutes late :lol:)! Not sure if I accomplished anything. Determined...

1- I think I prefer the Shift Kicker boots over the Fuel

2- The Fly FL1 gloves I thought I loved, I do still like but the medium is the smallest I can get on my hand, and the fingers feel a tad long. For some reason having a real hard time finding that perfect pair of gloves!

3- I absolutely love the Speed and Strength Call to Arms and the Off the Chain jackets. At identical fits I do not know how I am going to decide. The Call to Arms looks way better, but it is a softer material that I think will not be as rain resistant. I also do not like the cuffs as much, but on the flip side the sleeves fit a tad better. The Off the Chain is ridiculous comfortable, great material feels as water resistant as you will get without being water proof rain gear, like the hood style and liner......

4- I love riding.

PS Could not find a Congo to try on, may still jump on it for the price but really jumping up $130 for the S&S jacket is not bad. It is not that I do not have the money, its that I do not want to spend it. But rather probably spend $200 now than $80 now and $200 in a couple month's when I have a better stream of income!

EDIT: 5- I would love to stick with leather, but the main ones appear to be Alpinestar and Scorpion, both of which are not only pricey, but more importantly neither go up to my size.

EDIT II: Okay after recent expenses I can jump on the boots, gloves, and jacket and keep $1,000 in my fluid savings account, think I can pull the trigger... to decide... arghhhh

Call to Arms

Off the Chain
-JV

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Well, I can attest to Joe Rocket for standing up in a crash. I wear the Joe Rocket Ballistic 1.0 (I think they are on Ballistic 10.0!) and it's great. For a jacket you want something that will go below your belt when sitting on the bike (for your rear end). Also you need good shoulder padding, elbow padding and back padding, minimum. A high vis color or brighter color is BEST over anything dark (esp black) if you are going to be doing ANY sunrise/sunset/night riding! Textile is the most waterproof.

For gloves, leather or textile, just make sure they are padded well at the palm as that is most likely they area that will be most abused if you ever crash (you can lose a lot of blood out of the palm!)

For boots, I still wear full steel toe and heel CSA approved boots. No matter what boot you get make sure it fully covers your ankle.

Just some ideas. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#9 Unread post by JC Viper »

I'm gonna have to agree with Mike. I've had a Joe ROcket Phoenix 2.0 jacket and had 3 crashes in it, nothing really major, and it's still in great shape.

They have composite toe boots that are lighter and just as strong... and don't show up on metal detectors....

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

JC Viper wrote:They have composite toe boots that are lighter and just as strong... and don't show up on metal detectors....
Have you tried those? What brand (if so), do you like them?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.