Marvin
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha TMAX, 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Help friend buy a motorcycle

#1 Unread post by Marvin »

A friend came by to look at my bikes, he said he's going broke spending $200 a week in gas for his car, he needs a motorcycle to save money on gas.
The first thing I told him when he considers the cost of the motorcycle he won't be saving money on gas, you own a motorcycle cause of the fun factor, for the passion and love of riding one, the gas savings is just an added benifit.
He was amazed that that my FZ6 gets better gas mileage than my Tmax scooter, I explained to him the scooter has smaller less powerful engine so it has to work harder, suck more gas to make the same speed.
He's looking at a new Yamaha V Star 250, I told him its too small, it won't keep up on steep mountan highways, he would be better off with a Honda Shadow 750 and would get the same gas mileage.
He never rode a motorcycle before.
Last Saturday he called me and he found a new V Star 250 for $2995, he wanted me to go with him and ride it home since he has no motorcycle license, so as a nice guy I stopped at his house ready to go and his wifey-poo attacked me with her big mouth! She blamed me for talking him into a motorcycle, that they can't afford one, he might get killed riding one and so on! I told her I had nothing to do about it and what way do I benifit if he buys a bike? I got tired of her bitching and cursing so I walked out!
Later just yesterday he called me and he found a used bike, its a 1985 Honda XL600R he got for $1000, he wanted me to come and look at it and I refused, I told him I don't care, I told him what he needs is to grow some go-nads and stand up to that big mouth wife of yours!
2009 Yamaha TMAX
2008 Suzuki King Quad 750AXI
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC Trd Sport, 6 sp manual

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: Help friend buy a motorcycle

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

Buying a motorcycle is one of the biggest causes of stress in a relationship, second only to money issues. I'm not surprised your friend's wife blames you for the whole thing, but just think of the tongue lashing HE has been getting lately. Yet he's still out looking for a bike anyway, so he must have a pair of gonads. I don't know if I'd abandon him if I were his friend, though... he obviously considers you to be a knowledge base for motorcycles and needs your help, so why not just help him out and let him worry about his wife?

Having said that, next time you see her and she starts tearing a strip off you, just ask her how much insurance money she'll get if he gets killed riding a motorcycle. Sometimes that just shuts them up right there. :wink:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

spydercanopus
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

#3 Unread post by spydercanopus »

Gummiente wrote: Having said that, next time you see her and she starts tearing a strip off you, just ask her how much insurance money she'll get if he gets killed riding a motorcycle. Sometimes that just shuts them up right there. :wink:
Got a good laugh from that.

Bro you should help your buddy. Once he gets his bike you and him can go ride without the crazy lady. Plus you may save his life with a tip. Sounds like he needs ya, man.

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#4 Unread post by havegunjoe »

Gummiente wrote:Buying a motorcycle is one of the biggest causes of stress in a relationship, second only to money issues. :wink:
My wife was all for me buying my first bike. She now has her own and we ride together. In fact I just bought a 09 VStar 950 and she talked me into it. I’m a lucky guy I guess.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#5 Unread post by mogster »

:party:

Hey guys you are all being a bit tough on the "crazy lady". Maybe she is just really scared?
Chances are if hubby has never had a bike then she hasn't been around them either.

Having said that it is really difficult when you get embroiled in a domestic. I think you should carry on being a mate & guide your friend toward good training as he seems to have made up his mind to ride anyway.

Hopefully he won't hurt himself & the wife will calm down.
MOG

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

Marvin
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha TMAX, 2005 Yamaha FZ6

#6 Unread post by Marvin »

years ago i lent this same family $500 to get their furance fixed, the repairman didn't fix it right and screwed it up, so they had to get a loan out for $3K for a new furance, months went by, they never paid me back, so I asked when are they going to pay me back?. The wifey-poo said the $500 was a waste of money cause the repairman screwed it up, so she said she never got a refund from the repairman so she will pay me when she gets a refund, so I called the repairman, the real story is he told them it wasn't worth fixing, but they told him to fix it anyway,, there was never going to be a refund, so I told her I called and she thru a fit saying I didn't trust her, then a week later she got $500 cash and threw the money at me! I had to pick it up off the ground, ha ha ha!
so maybe you can understand why I don't care if he gets a bike or not, I am happy I didn't have to pay for it and i'm lucky I didn't pick out the bike cause if its a piece of junk cause I would get blamed for that! ha ha ha!
2009 Yamaha TMAX
2008 Suzuki King Quad 750AXI
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC Trd Sport, 6 sp manual

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#7 Unread post by mogster »

Fair enough. With that history you are better off out of it.
MOG

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

momule
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650

#8 Unread post by momule »

I'm not sure what the point of telling us this sad story is. Is this to make you seem like a real good guy or something? From your rant on here about hating all other motorcyclists and how you don't have any friends anymore I would suggest that you leave this couple alone and let them figure it out together. If you get involved like you say that you are you'll just lose another friend.
"ONE DAY AT A TIME"