Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2009 Honda DN-01

Locks and security systems

#1 Unread post by kerwink040 »

I just got a new bike 2009 Honda DN-01.
I plan on having a lo-jack anti-theft system installed as soon as I can find a lo-jack dealer to install it.
In the meantime I want to get some type of lock(s) to put on the bike.
Can anyone recommend a very good lock (for either the discs or wheels)(chains, cable or pad lock) so that potential thieves will see them and know it's going to take some work to break them off?
Also, should I get 2 locks one for the front brake/wheel and rear brake / wheel or just 1 lock?
Thanks,

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Locks and security systems

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

The DN-01 has a fork lock, and I'm sure there disk locks out there. Google is your friend.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

kerwink040
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by kerwink040 »

Johnj wrote:The DN-01 has a fork lock, and I'm sure there disk locks out there. Google is your friend.
Coolness. Thanks
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul!"

Hondagirl
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Motard XR400

#4 Unread post by Hondagirl »

Definitely google and read some reviews by testers or what people with top price bikes recommend.Thieves have bolt croppers and chainsaws so you need something that will not fit in the first -19mm plus link chain- and so strong it cant be sawn. I had my XJR stolen and it is really a horrible experience. The police gave me lots of tips like always wrap the chains round a steel fence or something so the bike cant be lifted into a truck and park as near to your front door as you can get preferably with overhead street lighting directly shining on the bike...if you don't have the privelage of an indoor garage that is. My bike was stolen while double chain locked by chainsaw and by using a crow bar to bash the steering lock. GPS tracking devices sound awesome.
Honda Motard XR400
Traded: Honda SL230 and Yamaha XJR400

kerwink040
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by kerwink040 »

Hondagirl wrote:Definitely google and read some reviews by testers or what people with top price bikes recommend.Thieves have bolt croppers and chainsaws so you need something that will not fit in the first -19mm plus link chain- and so strong it cant be sawn. I had my XJR stolen and it is really a horrible experience. The police gave me lots of tips like always wrap the chains round a steel fence or something so the bike cant be lifted into a truck and park as near to your front door as you can get preferably with overhead street lighting directly shining on the bike...if you don't have the privelage of an indoor garage that is. My bike was stolen while double chain locked by chainsaw and by using a crow bar to bash the steering lock. GPS tracking devices sound awesome.

Sorry to hear about your bike.
Thanks for the advice....I will be googling locks for it. Now I'm definitely going to get lo-jack installed on it.
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul!"

spydercanopus
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

#6 Unread post by spydercanopus »

TomTom GPS automatically sends the police your data, so maybe just get one of those. http://boingboing.net/2011/04/29/tomtom ... olice.html

But all seriousness, is this just to lock up at home? If so an oversized bicycle u-lock should do the trick.

kerwink040
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by kerwink040 »

spydercanopus wrote:TomTom GPS automatically sends the police your data, so maybe just get one of those. http://boingboing.net/2011/04/29/tomtom ... olice.html

But all seriousness, is this just to lock up at home? If so an oversized bicycle u-lock should do the trick.
hmmm...didn't think of that! But it's for anywhere I park the bike and walk away from it.

vennyroger
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Cbz

#8 Unread post by vennyroger »

There are various types of car security system and locks are available like Conventional Alarms, Effective Tracking Systems, Immobilizer Systems, Heavier Car Locking Systems and Inexpensive Locking Wheel Nuts.

Gardner01
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Honda

#9 Unread post by Gardner01 »

Hi, I am also agree with Hondagirl who shared experience with me. The police gave me lots of tips like always wrap the chains round a steel fence or something so the bike cant be lifted into a truck and park as near to your front door as you can get preferably with overhead street lighting directly shining on the bike. so I must say thanks for sharing your experience here and we all should be aware.

scooter12
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Honda Rebel 250/ Roketa Bali 250

#10 Unread post by scooter12 »

I put a master lock on front disk... That generally will stop anyone from stealing it.. But thieve are persistent so I bought a 120 db alarm system, that has its own power source with key chain on and off. It sounds if shocked, vibration... It only cost $9...