Larry Culling
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Red 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

Re: Wind Noise = deal breaker

#21 Unread post by Larry Culling »

I have a full face Bell helmet and the peak on it rattled real bad. I bought a set of wind deflectors for the handle bars as well as a set of deflectors for the forkes and put on 400 klm yesterday and love the results. it made a big difference to the wind noise as well as my helmet peak does't rattle any more.

gpn50
Rookie
Rookie

#22 Unread post by gpn50 »

[quote="superskip"]Thing I hate most about motorcycling is wind noise - around town not so much of a factor, but on longer trips wind noise just destroys the experience.

Try a laminar lip
this device attaches to you windshield and re-directs the air....works well for me!

laminar.com check it out

Islesfan91
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#23 Unread post by Islesfan91 »

I went from using an HJC helmet to a joe rocket helmet, the prices were about the same but the difference in quality with less wind noise and less drag are incredible. At 100km/h with my HJC helmet I feel like I'm in a hurricane, and the helmet acts as a parasail when shoulderchecking at those speeds. The joe rocket helmet is so much better I didn't even notice my speed until I checked it and saw I was at 130km/h

The helmet alone made a world of difference to me, and was 179.00 cdn for the new one, 10.00 less than the HJC was on sale for in October.

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#24 Unread post by dirt dobber »

thanks, for all the feed back and other that might read these.

Meanie
Legendary
Legendary

#25 Unread post by Meanie »

I realize I'm late to the party, but for anyone else who is concerned about wind noise, I ended up buying a "rally" helmet, which BTW, is technically still a motorcycle helmet as it meets and/or exceeds the DOT and Snell rating. I know of three brands which are Stilo, Peltor and Bell. They all contain sound attenuating earmuffs and thus, eliminate the need for earplugs. As an added bonus, you can install helmet speakers for your music or communication system and hear them great at any speeds. As a downside, they are expensive, but considering my hearing is very important to me (I was born with hearing loss), I need to preserve what I have remaining and worth the cost. I don't work for any of the mentioned company. I simply wanted to spread the option for those concerned about hearing loss.

Overall, the hearing concerns from wind noise has been a major issue for us motorcycle riders for many years. I'm dumbfounded to why motorcycle helmets manufacturers have not designed/manufactured a helmet with sound attenuating earmuffs.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

redwing
Elite
Elite

#26 Unread post by redwing »

A good helmet is important but cost is always a factor. I have a Quest from Shoie (full face) and the helmet's best quality is stability at 80 or 90 mph or less. The previous helmet I owned wanted to lift up at freeway speeds ... bad aerodynamics.
The greatest change in noise came when I started putting my ear plugs in properly. I saw a youtube vid showing rolling the foam plugs very small and tugging on the ear to straighten out the canal when putting the plugs into the ear.
The plugs go so far into my ear that I almost...almost need tweezers to get them out. Today... I like to ride with the visor one click up...was a noisey condition but not now. And I got generic plugs from wally world or some somewheres...nothing special. Like $3.79 for 20 pairs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNPZJingZA
found the vid... see what you think... it changed riding for me.

Robert
2008 BMW R1200R and is it sweet...

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#27 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

Yep. I used foamies for awhile. Makes things quiet enough you can hear yourself think. They're in the gun section at the Wally.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

JakePoppa
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: CB750

#28 Unread post by JakePoppa »

Funny....I love the wind noise. It's part of what reminds me I'm not in a car.

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#29 Unread post by dirt dobber »

JakePoppa wrote:Funny....I love the wind noise. It's part of what reminds me I'm not in a car.
Yea, and after a while you woun't be able to hear (car) turn signal clicking & keys jengeling in your ignition & you start saying hu, say that again. i believe in ear plugs.
if i don't wear them when i get home my ears are ringing. still hear motor running. :lol: