Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Not helping the cause.

#1 Unread post by Johnj »

Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: Not helping the cause.

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

Ironic. Sad, but ironic.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by HYPERR »

Well if this predictable irony saves even one life by convincing another motorcyclist the sheer folly of riding without a helmet, it was not in total vain. RIP fellow motorcyclist.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#4 Unread post by sapaul »

Sho, I am probably heading for another infarction here, but I cannot fail to see the irony for this.

GOD has a sense of humor and when this poor soul gets the pearly gates HE will be waiting saying,

"see stupid, did you think I put all that effort into people who make helmets for nothing"
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#5 Unread post by HYPERR »

Ironically the dead rider probably ended up making a very strong reverse argument of what he intended to do. I bet he convinced a lot of riders about the unfathomable stupidity of riding without a helmet.

He fought the law and the law won. Not the NY State's Helmet Law but Newton's Law of Gravity et al...

RIP.
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#6 Unread post by zeligman »

sapaul wrote:Sho, I am probably heading for another infarction here, but I cannot fail to see the irony for this.

GOD has a sense of humor and when this poor soul gets the pearly gates HE will be waiting saying,

"see stupid, did you think I put all that effort into people who make helmets for nothing"

+1
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Aherm, it was a guy who basically didn't know the difference between being against helmet use and being against the government mandating that use (and well, officially at least, ABATE encourages helmet use while being against regulation).

I'm sad for his family and loved ones, but y'know, Darwin's a b!tch.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#8 Unread post by HYPERR »

Grey Thumper wrote: I'm sad for his family and loved ones, but y'know, Darwin's a b!tch.
Darwin called it but Newton got him.
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

vito
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: Triumph America

#9 Unread post by vito »

A number of years ago I participated in a huge rally at the state capital in Wisconsin to show opposition to a proposal to mandate helmet use in that state. I was one of the very, very few riders in the protest wearing a helmet, and I received a lot of nasty comments from helmetless riders about it. They couldn't understand that I was not against wearing a helmet, just against the government mandating that I do so. I believe folks have the right to make their own choices, even if I feel that someone else's choice is dumb. Around that same time a fellow MSF instructor that I had worked with occasionally, and who certainly knew better, had a minor spill on his bike without a helmet and suffered significant brain damage. He was never able to ride, or do many other things, again. I don't think there is a conflict between wanting freedom and wanting to be safe.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#10 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Vito, thanks for the post, it is refreshing to see another good head on the shoulders around here.

That being said, I don't mind having the government mandating helmets. After all, if someone chooses not to wear a helmet and then has an accident it's our tax dollars that pay for his health care after the fact... (Canada & UK) In that way, I don't think people should have the choice because their choice does impact other people.
Andrea :sun: