jcskooby15
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki 170 vulcan

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 engine knock

#1 Unread post by jcskooby15 »

Howdy, I have an engine knock on my 2009 Kawasik 1700 vulcan that does not sound anything like a lifter or a spark knock that I have ever heard. It sounds like rod knock to me. I dont here it upon start up or idle or while cruising at speed, just under acceleration wheather its a giving a little thottle or gunning it. Its in all gears and rpms also. I bought it new in 2010 and have 4000 miles on it. It seems to be getting worse. It use to go away after 5 miles or so. but now it doesnt get quieter untill after about 15 miles of riding but never totally goes away. Has anyone ever experienced this. Yes I do use 91 or higher octane gas in it. Its been dealer serviced since new. I plan on taking it 2 different dealers for their opinon. Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 engine knock

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

You might want to ask that question over on the VROC site (Vulcan Riders and Owners Club). They've been around for years and have members from all over the world, chances are someone will have an answer for you there. Of course, once you get that answer you are more than welcome to come back here and keep posting in our community. :)
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

izy
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic LT

#3 Unread post by izy »

jcskooby15, did you ever get any answer on vroc? I have a similar issue on my 2009 Classic LT that I bought used from a dealer last Spring. I didn't notice it right away and gradually has gotten worse. I rode it back but it was sounding fine after the hour ride.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#4 Unread post by dr_bar »

Just curious, I see you use 91 gas, what is the mfg recommended grade of fuel???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

impala111
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 45
My Motorcycle: 1700 Kawasaki nomad

#5 Unread post by impala111 »

I presume you have this repaired already, but thought i should respond since others might come across this.
I have a 2009 1700 bought in 2010 as well, i thought for a moment i wrote your post. Mine knocked as well, only on start up, but only after it has sat for days or longer without running. I took to mechanic and he told me the oil runs down after a few days, usually takes about 2 weeks, and then the bike has to pump the oil back up to lubricate top of rockers.
When the oil is cold, it doesn't want to pump to the higher side of the engine. On idle, the pump has little pressure, it actually has to be revved to work that oil up. i'm in Minnesota. cold some mornings, so i fixed this by getting a magnetic oil crank case heater. i just stick it to the bottom of the machine, plug it in, and in 20- 30 minutes later, the oil thins out a bit and its ready to go. I also started using thinner oil. As long as i don't let it sit over weeks or the winter without starting, it no longer knocks, or at least not for long, maybe 90 seconds or so. hope this helps.
the mechanic tech also said the machines pump is designed to not over pump at lower RPM'S, the pump is set to perform best over a certain RPM, and really pumps oil better than most pumps at higher RPM's. this motor loves high RPM's, and the oil pump was designed for protecting the engine when it needs it most, when its hot and really Cranking. I've seen oil pumps in cars, never in a motor cycle engine, so i have to take his word for it. presume they are about the same??