Throttle locks

Fargo360
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

Throttle locks

#1 Unread post by Fargo360 »

Hey all, I'm looking at getting a throttle lock for my 'Hawk. I've read some reviews on the Vista throttle lock and it seems to be pretty good esp for the $25 price tag. I've also heard that the throttle meister bar end lock is really good. I'm not sure about the throttle meister as you have to turn it while you are driving, which means either taking your hand off the throttle or crossing my left hand all the way over to turn it that way...which doesn't seem too safe. Anyone have any thoughts on these locks...or something else. Need some help here. Thanks much.
1976 Honda CBR360R/T
1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

Fargo, ND supports global warming

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: Throttle locks

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

I have a throttle lock on my Connie but never use it. Never liked or trusted them to be honest, prefer to be in complete control of the throttle at all times.
Always ask why.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

Actually, I've used the Vista and didn't like it. I switched to a much more expensive throttle lock and love it. I find it safer as it automatically dis-engages on application of the front brake. Check out the "BrakeAway" throttle lock, they may or may not have a model that fits your bike.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#4 Unread post by flw »

I had a throttle lock on my Vulcan 500 and liked it. Its a poor mans cruise control. You should be able to lock the throttle on with just your right thumb and your hand still on the right grip. Same for disengaging it.

I live out in the boonies so if its 55 mph speed limit, I'll set it for 60 and with small inclines and declines it keeps my in the general area of the limit. If you live in a very hilly area it may be useless.

In a urban area I can see it could be a real danger if you are not quick on disengaging it, or or just new to the devise. For long rides it is a must to stop my throttle hand from cramping up.

Its not for everyone and where you do most of your riding also makes a big difference. Good luck.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#5 Unread post by havegunjoe »

I put a Kuryakyan throttle boss on my grips. It doesn’t lock up the throttle but it allows you to open your hand while keeping your palm on the boss to maintain the speed you want. Takes a little getting use to but works pretty good.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

A throttle rocker works well to ease the hand.

vito
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: Triumph America

#7 Unread post by vito »

I have used the Vista and found it works very well and is easily engaged and released. Only two issues with the Vista or similar throttle locks; one, they often need adjustment because they loosen to the point that even when engaged it does not hold the throttle (but adjusting is merely tightening a small screw every once in awhile), and two, some bikes do not leave enough room between the handgrip and the controls to squeeze in this kind of throttle lock. On my new Triumph I had the dealer install a throttle lock that fits into the end of the handlebar. It takes a bit getting used to, i.e., using the palm of the right hand to tighten the lock or loosen it, but it works quite well. I use it not as a "cruise control" but just for an occasional shaking out of my right hand to keep it from cramping on a long ride. For me, having some type of throttle lock (unless the bike has a true cruise control feature) is essential for long ride comfort.

Larry Culling
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Red 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

#8 Unread post by Larry Culling »

I have the throttle miser on my 2003 Shadow Spirit and rode all last year with it. I love it, and have no more cramps in my hand. I have it on the inside of the grip and I let my thumb rest on it. It causes a lot of comments that I should have it on the outside, but I like to be able to move my hand on and off the grip without interferance. I had to grind it a little bit to make it fit over the housing, but it works great.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#9 Unread post by madjak30 »

I have a cramp buster and it works well for shorter rides...200ish kms...but longer rides it would be nice to completely take the hand off to shake it out/rest it...I'm looking to change this out...but for now the cramp buster works...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-