Is it common practice?

Buelligan
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Buelligan »

There are some driver's out here who think they can stay in the left lane because they're doing the speed limit, it's better in Europe, especially the UK, they only use the left lane to pass then get out of the way.

Here they don't seem to grasp the meaning of slower vehicles stay to the right. :frusty:
Black - 2004 Buell XB9S Lightening

Keyoke
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: 1993 Yamaha TDM

#12 Unread post by Keyoke »

Buelligan wrote:There are some driver's out here who think they can stay in the left lane because they're doing the speed limit, it's better in Europe, especially the UK, they only use the left lane to pass then get out of the way.

Here they don't seem to grasp the meaning of slower vehicles stay to the right. :frusty:
Not quite right - we drive on the left over here, remember?? :)
Don't give up.

Not now, not soon, not after being continually knocked down.

If you never give up, you can never truly fail.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/keyoke/Ultima-Dragon-Animated.gif[/img]

Buelligan
Elite
Elite

#13 Unread post by Buelligan »

hmmmm, so I was the one on the wrong side of the road in November, that explains a lot :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Black - 2004 Buell XB9S Lightening

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#14 Unread post by BuzZz »

Buelligan wrote:
Even with big, bold signs telling them so every 2 miles..... :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

I found most states are better than we are up here as well. Most drivers will clear the passing lane(it's called that for a reason :roll: ) for you down south. Up here, they seem to feel it's thier moral duty to make EVERYONE drive at 10 under just cause that's as fast as they can manage....... :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Did I mention I hate those people? The worst part is, is it on the books as against the law to block the left lane of a 4 lane hiway, but no cop every has even considered writing a ticket for it. They wait untill folks get pissed off enough and finally pass grandpa Walton and then nail the passer for speeding. Easier to piont a radar gun than to actually have to think about Hiway Code and apply it to actual traffic situations..... :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Dam... I need a holiday...... :laughing: Boy, can't wait to get on the Trans Canada with all these idiots..... :roll: :laughing:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Aggroton
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#15 Unread post by Aggroton »

what really gets me is the jerk in the honda with the HUGE spoiler who drives 40 miles an hour in 45 beside a trucker because he knows i hate him and his kind and want to show him my tiny bike will burn his joke of a car... :roll:
thats a sweet bike.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#16 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

:offtopic: But, I was brushing up on the motorcycle questions on the highway code (UK), ready for doing my full test, and discovered that in a one way system, we're allowed to pass on both the right, and left sides... Seems dangerously unpredictable to me but if it's legal..... :D
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#17 Unread post by Kal »

Buelligan wrote:hmmmm, so I was the one on the wrong side of the road in November, that explains a lot :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Old man, not long retired so bored, goes out for a cruise in his car.

A little while later his wife rings him to make sure he is alright as there is some lunatic on the news driving the wrong way down a motorway and he says to her...

"One??? There's bloody hundreds of them!"

We get a lot of people still camping out in the fast lane, even if the other lanes are clear for miles.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#18 Unread post by sapaul »

We get that here all the time, certain cage make drivers think that when they bought the car they bought shares in the roads too. I ride with my brights on all the time and to "ask" a cage to move, we wiggle behind them to get their attention and then move into the drivers mirror so they can see us. Some are great and will move over, others are stubborn. Flashing a car to move is accepted here, bike or cage.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#19 Unread post by jmillheiser »

All flashing to pass does in the US is incite road rage. We just dont do it here. If you want to pass someone you just pass them. Flashing Tractor Trailers if they are passing you to indicate that they are clear of you is OK though.

Only time you get flashed from behind here is if someone is pissed and wants you to move.

I get that from SUV drivers pretty regularly in Colorado. Ill be in the left lane doing about 85mph passing a line of slower vehicles and will have some joker in his/her SUV flashing their high beams and riding a foot from my bumper apparantly angry since 85mph is too slow for them (speed limit is 75mph). Once im done passing and move back over I usually get the finger as they blast by.

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#20 Unread post by Kal »

A few months ago Jules and I were on a dual carriageway, we were actually exceeding the speedlimit which is rare because Jules tends to drive on the careful side since her accident.

Anyways there we are in the righthand lane overtaking a Military convoy and this muppet comes flying up behind us, we ewre doing 70 so with the speed he appeared he was ton-up and he starts harrassing Jules to speed up or move over.

I'd been up and down this dulcarriageway a couple of times that week so I knew what was coming and kept jules calm until we were past the convoy nd then talked her into saying in lane for just a little bit longer, meanwhile the f***wit behind us continues to try and intimidate us.

I give Jules the word, she pulls over to let him through and he floors it. About a hundred yards in front of us he has his brakes on full lock as he deserately tried getting under the speedlimit as he flew past a gatso camera... Instant Karma :)
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman