If storing a bike in a garage for the winter?

shadowryder
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Shadow VLX

If storing a bike in a garage for the winter?

#1 Unread post by shadowryder »

I gotta bike that I haven't really ridden, my MSF BRC class is 9/14/11 and I plan on getting in a little practice in before the season is totally over after I pass the BRC. What I'm concerned about is storing the bike in the garage for the winter. Do I have to change the oil? Lift the bike? Slow charge the battery? etc. Or, can I start it every so often warm up the engine and move the bike so the tires are not in the same spot all the time? Although it's not that time just yet I'm trying to plan ahead. I live in Philly and we've had some funky winters lately and I want to be able to ride when the next season starts with minimum difficulty.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: If storing a bike in a garage for the winter?

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Well, to be able to ride on a whim, I'd go with...
Trickle charger for the battery
Oil changed before storage
Try to get out once a month and go through a tank, but if you can't do that, put about half of the recommended amount of seafoam into a full (topped off) tank. That way it won't smoke too badly when you do ride it, but will still protect.
Make sure the petcock is turned off
If you can get it lifted, that'd be optimal, but otherwise like you said, move the bike around occasionally, flatspots are no good.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#3 Unread post by madjak30 »

Depends on where you live...I'm in Canada and from November to March we have anywhere from 10cm (4") to 90cm (36") of snow along with well below freezing temps the whole time...so this is the ritual I go through...

1. Put in the fuel stabilizer (sea foam or sta-bil are the most common) and fill the tank to the top...by filling the tank there is less of a chance of getting any moisture in there which can cause a huge problem due to rusting...(very bad :( )

2. Change the oil...used oil can have some nasty stuff in it that may etch into the aluminum of the engine...get it outta there, don't take any chances... :wink: I wouldn't start the bike in the winter, the heat and cool cycle can cause moisture to accumulate in the crankcase...not good :rant:

3. Clean, lube and adjust your chain...always good to leave no doubt what is sitting on your chain (again with the rust thing)

4. Use the center stand if your bike has one, otherwise move the bike around...avoid flat spots, they really suck... :shock:

5. I remove the battery and about once a month put it on the trickle charger until fully charged...

And that's about it...other than try to get it out of the elements, but you said you were storing in the garage so that shouldn't be an issue...I would avoid putting a cover on the bike unless it is breathable...if you use a tarp you may trap moisture under it and that will cause rust...some people have also gone to the trouble of spraying a penetrating lube on all the steel/chrome bits to avoid rust...I've never had an issue with that...anyway, good luck... :cowboy:

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

madjak30 wrote:I wouldn't start the bike in the winter, the heat and cool cycle can cause moisture to accumulate in the crankcase...not good
+1

Don't start the bike unless you're going to take it out for a ride. That ride should be long enough to 1) fully recharge the battery from the draw-down of cranking the bike, depending on the bike that could be 10 miles, and 2) get the engine fully to operating temperature to cook out the moisture.

I live near you (Burlington County, NJ), and have managed to avoid winterizing several bikes since 2004. That means I'm able to give each of them a good run every 3 weeks or so (although winter of 2010-11 was a bit dicey in that regard...)
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#5 Unread post by havegunjoe »

I on the other hand do it a little different. I change the oil first thing in the Spring. I too use Sea Foam in the tank, run it enough to get it mixed throughout the system. I put the battery on a trickle charger all winter. I roll the bike up onto a couple rugs so the tires are not on a hard surface. I live in MN so our winters are cold as He11 and I have never had a problem in the spring. My bikes start right up with one or two tries.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

The only reason I recommend changing it in the fall before you store it, is because oil left long enough turns acidic and starts to eat bearings. Normally a winter isn't long enough to do that, but if your oil is worn down and it sits for a while it can do that.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

gerjets
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2010/Harley Davidson/Heritage Softail

#7 Unread post by gerjets »

Good comments. I'll be out of the country over the winter (live near Baltimore) so I have to do the same thing.
- Lift the bike
- change the oil
- full gas tank with additive
- trickle charger
- don't worry about starting the bike
- I've asked my wife to spend some quality one-on-one time with my bike in my absence but I'm not convinced she'll do it :-)

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#8 Unread post by rayian »

Here's a good winterizing article. Oh no. Is it that time again?

http://www.acmemotorcycleclub.com/winterizing.htm

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#9 Unread post by madjak30 »

rayian wrote:Here's a good winterizing article. Oh no. Is it that time again?
Not a chance...I'm riding until the snow flies...season is short enough, don't be a wuss!! :cold: :evil3:

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#10 Unread post by pchast »

+1

The season lasts through November here with different clothes.

Last year I went for a ride in mid December before putting the
bike up for the winter.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L