EPA Certified Pipes ONLY in New Hampshire? New Law Attempt!

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

EPA Certified Pipes ONLY in New Hampshire? New Law Attempt!

#1 Unread post by Brackstone »

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

Your local lawmaker Michele Peckham (R-Rockingham) is trying to pass a law that require any motorcycle brought into a dealership for service to leave that dealership with EPA certified exhaust systems (IE Quiet Pipes).

Better keep your eyes on the ballots gents and ladies.

Unless someone can correct this law does not just apply to vehicles after 2013 but every motorcycle regardless of date of manufacture.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Re: EPA Certified Pipes ONLY in New Hampshire? New Law Attem

#2 Unread post by dr_bar »

If that law passes, it should be for ALL vehicles, not just singling out motorcycles. I hear a lot more of those stupidassed drifter styled cars with noisy exhausts than bikes...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

agraebner
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by agraebner »

Around my neck of the woods the ground shakes and my eyes rattle around in my head every time a pick up goes by. So many of the "locals" "NEED" to remove the stock exhaust from their trucks to get the REAL power out of it. I am close to an intersection so all night long I get to hear them racing around. The laws are in place the police try to enforce them but in the end the people just change the exhaust back. If they aren't smart enough to know they are hurting there own fuel economy, longevity of their truck and in most cases lowering the useful torque, then how are we ever gonna get them to stop........
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#4 Unread post by dirt dobber »

agraebner wrote:Around my neck of the woods the ground shakes and my eyes rattle around in my head every time a pick up goes by. So many of the "locals" "NEED" to remove the stock exhaust from their trucks to get the REAL power out of it. I am close to an intersection so all night long I get to hear them racing around. The laws are in place the police try to enforce them but in the end the people just change the exhaust back. If they aren't smart enough to know they are hurting there own fuel economy, longevity of their truck and in most cases lowering the useful torque, then how are we ever gonna get them to stop........
agraebner, what you said above about hurting fuel economy, i had my pipes changed when i bought it, do you think i hurt my mpg? 52 is most i've ever got.

agraebner
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by agraebner »

That was in reference to fuel injected engines with programming for the restriction of the catalytic converters. once removed the fuel mapping changes. On older vehicles the exhaust never reaches temp so the O2 sensors will operate properly. This condition causes a lot of wasted fuel. Fuel efficiency is more related to proper tuning with the exhaust as part of the equation. Speaking in a vague generalizations if you remove some back pressure with larger free flowing exhaust then you loose some torque but gain a little more over rev from factory design. Depending on the bikes manufacture there is not always more power to be had just changing the delivery of it up or down in the rev range. The yoshimure exhaust that is on my CBR1000F made a lot more torque than did the factory exhaust. I got to play with several different set ups with dyno runs following to get real info on the different set ups. Add to that the difference a set of custom ground cams made and it added a lot more torque. By then putting a slightly smaller rear sprocket to bring the revs down a little bit I achieved much better than stock fuel economy. I get an average of 54 mpg with that bike. When I first got the cbr I was getting around 48mpg. I would think your doing pretty good for your MPG for that bike. It sounds like your riding style and throttle use are a great match to the bike and work well together. I am currently low on funds or I would work on my magna a little to improve its fuel economy. In the mean time I am really enjoying it as is. I have had a few complaints about the pillion seat and foot position for longer trips but for just me its comfortable and just the right feel and power to put a smile on my face every time. In fact since I got the magna I put the FZR up for sale. When I finally sell it ill get a windshield for the Nighthawk and a sissy bar for the magna and that will finally make my bike family complete. The FZR is a nice bike but the others suite me better :)
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500