flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

Looking for Jacket in Hot, Cold and rainy conditions

#1 Unread post by flw »

Its the end of season for online resellers so I'm keeping a eye out for real sales or discontinued items.

I found the FieldSheer High Flow II is on clearance so the price is low. Description is at http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/spor ... esh+jacket

In the description it states it has a rain vest that zippers in/out.

What I really want is one jacket for hot, cold and wet conditions. Its fine if I need to add or remove liners but want to stick to one. If I added a thermal liner would this work?

If not, do you have a suggestion on one jacket that is truely cool in July, with liners that will keep me dry and warm when needed? Cost is king.

Thank You
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

Re: Looking for Jacket in Hot, Cold and rainy conditions

#2 Unread post by dirt dobber »

i bought this two wks. ago, hadn't been in rain yet But i really like it. no armor, has thurma liner not removel. came in handy leaving early in the 50's. list 98$ plus tax. (H-D dealer).
Attachments
kind of light jacket. thurma lined.
kind of light jacket. thurma lined.
001.JPG (42.3 KiB) Viewed 6457 times
Last edited by dirt dobber on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

agraebner
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by agraebner »

From the gear I have had you are not going to find something that does hot and cold well. I went with a Joe rocket model with removable panels and zip open vents in the arms and back. This jacket works great year round for me but you have to realize it will be hot in the summer if your not moving enough to force air into the vents. Since most roads near me can catch you in traffic This year I grabbed up a steal on a speed and strength mesh jacket. Its great I have worn it a lot. Its liner also works great for what it is. The liner is a very thing windproof waterproof shell. It completely stops the wind and Ive never had water through it but its not for warmth as it is just a thin liner. In the winter my Joe rocket gear stops all the wind nicely. I wear a sweatshirt under it for the 35 mile trip to the town I was working in. I was comfortable most days of winter with that. If it was cold and I was going to be riding for a longer trip or even the day I wear good thermals, then sweats then my Joe rocket gear. With that set up I can be comfortable for a LONG time in the cold. Bottom line is do not expect mesh to be anything more than protection when its hot. And do not expect a more solid jacket to be very cool unless you are moving. As far as the cost is king part.... In motorcycle gear it has been my experience you get what you pay for (with regards to regular prices so clearance sales are important) A good quality jacket with the most flex ability can get expensive. You may spend less to get two clearance jackets than try to get one that does it all that well. In my opinion I get more out of the Joe Rocket jacket than the mesh one because I use it all but July and August.
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#4 Unread post by flw »

I have a all but July and August jacket now. So I get too tempted to not wear the jacket when it hits 90. I was hoping for a jacket that I could remove liners for hot weather that also had a thin rain liner as well.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

agraebner
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by agraebner »

Mesh should be just fine then. Keep in mind that beyond repelling some rain the liner is very thin in anything Ive seen at any store, as well as my own gear. The liner in my speed and strength jacket doesn't really feel any warmer on its own but put a light shirt under it and you are good to go. Mine stops the wind as planned but offers no warmth of its own. I know what you mean when its hot I didnt want to wear my normal jacket. Now I grabbed up the Speed and strength mesh jacket for cheap and I'm happy with it. Even If I would have paid full price I would have been happy with it.
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#6 Unread post by dr_bar »

Check out the Joe Rocket Alter Ego line. Both the jacket and pants have a zip out waterproof liner, and zip off panels that reveal mesh underneath. I loved mine and wore it for several years, until I broke the zipper and saw a J.R. Yamaha outfit that I liked and bought... (Maybe that's why the zipper got broke... LOL)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#7 Unread post by dirt dobber »

dr_bar wrote:Check out the Joe Rocket Alter Ego line. Both the jacket and pants have a zip out waterproof liner, and zip off panels that reveal mesh underneath. I loved mine and wore it for several years, until I broke the zipper and saw a J.R. Yamaha outfit that I liked and bought... (Maybe that's why the zipper got broke... LOL)
where did you get your Yamaha outfit, & how much?

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#8 Unread post by dr_bar »

dirt dobber wrote:
dr_bar wrote:Check out the Joe Rocket Alter Ego line. Both the jacket and pants have a zip out waterproof liner, and zip off panels that reveal mesh underneath. I loved mine and wore it for several years, until I broke the zipper and saw a J.R. Yamaha outfit that I liked and bought... (Maybe that's why the zipper got broke... LOL)
where did you get your Yamaha outfit, & how much?
I got it at the local Yamaha dealership and it was comparable to the Joe Rocket outfit, ( in other words, I don't remember the cost... )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Bill_T
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 1999 Yamaha V-Star 650

#9 Unread post by Bill_T »

Hi..

I found the Tour-master flex coat has worked for me in different weather conditions. I have the "series 2" but I think they have a series 3 now... The outer shell is easily removed so I can use the mesh interior as a light weight jacket. The good thing is that the pads stay in the mesh, so you still have protection... I wear the mesh on hot days without issues. The outer shell makes it warm and rain proof when the weather changes (like right now!). There is also a thinsulate lining you can add/remove. Below is a link for pics.. I dont know anything about the seller, just found the site with pics...
Good luck

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/vi ... mages/1668

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#10 Unread post by flw »

Well I just ordered the Tour Master Flex Series 2 for less than $120 including shipping in the U.S.

Thanks to all that gave their input and help.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold