Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

2011 R1200R

#1 Unread post by sapaul »

Thought I would put this here for the BMW fans too

OK, I have had the bike for over a month now, had my first service and put a few ks on.

WOW, what a bike. This is everything I wanted and more.

Every review I read said that this is a cornering demon, they were right. The bike is not just agile and nimble it is is phenomenally quick to turn, from upright or leaned over hard. The balance and synergy between the chassis and the power output is spot on. The power from an on road performance aspect is massively up from my 07 GS, the twin cam engine moves this bike effortlessly. I am not one for specs and data, I tell it how it feels, this bike feels fast. Short shifting through the gears between 4000 and 5500 rpm will see at 160 kmh by the time you hit 6th.

The general feel of the bike is solid and my choice came with the ESA system (the first bike I have chosen to have this on, I declined on my K1200S and my GS) which makes for some very interesting riding. I found the suspension to be harsh both on the demo's I rode and on this model. However, having now done a few Kms and a Marshaling event through mountains, I now appreciate why. This bike sticks to the road like a booger flicked from a toddlers pushchair. The screen, although tiny, provides just enough to keep you comfortable to 180 without any helmet wobble. The once or twice I have pushed above this meant getting a bit closer to the tank, something my gut complains about. A slimmer person would not have the same problem.

The cockpit is modern and the electronics in the form of ABS, traction control and tyre pressure monitor are easy to understand and implement, even for an old fart like me. A full on computer is supplied with trips and juice remaining and kms left in the tank, what a pleasure.

Seating for both rider and pillion is plush and has a single seat with the pillion end raised putting the pillion's head above the rider, HA HA no sleeping on the back now.

Tyres came OE as Metzler Z8 and I am not a Metzler fan after scrubbing so many off on my K12S, but both grip and feel leave nothing to complain about. The lean angle on the bike is far more than I have tested yet, my GS I ride on the edge, this bike still has chicken strips and I am chucking it all over the place. Ergo's are good and no complaints from old bones yet.

The odd few KMs I have done in cruise mode (me, not the bike) have had the bike behave perfectly as a long distance tourer, solid, comfy and inspiring a lot of confidence.

To compare the GS and this bike as has been done on the thread is like comparing a street car with a SUV. The bike is just so much more hooligan than the GS and worse still brings the hooligan in you out too. A street fighter of note, in the tight stuff and traffic most other bikes would be hard put to perform as well.

I wanted an all rounder with an edge, I got what I wanted with some attitude thrown in.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

Re: 2011 R1200R

#2 Unread post by RockBottom »

I'm with you. In July 2010 I traded my F800ST for an R1200R. It quickly became my favorite thing I've ever owned in my life. I bought it with the touring package and added a wind screen and BMW comfort seat. I've had it a little more than 15 months and have put 28,000 miles/45,100 K on it. It's changed my riding style so much that my Harley buddies refuse to ride with me any more. On mountain roads, I routinely take curves at 25 MPH/40 K over the posted recommended speed. 112 MPH/180 K is as fast as I've had it, but it was still accelerating at that point.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

Congrats on the new ride Paul. Does this mean that the GS is gone?

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#4 Unread post by HYPERR »

High_Side wrote:Congrats on the new ride Paul. Does this mean that the GS is gone?
I think he still has the GS, I believe he traded in the R850R.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

How'd you find the riding position compared to your R850R? I've only straddled an R1200 at the dealer, never taken out for a test drive (possibly dangerous to my finances), but I assume this'll eventually be my next bike. It felt much smaller than the R850/1150R though.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#6 Unread post by sapaul »

Hi Guys

Still have GS, now on 70 000KM + and still going strong

The R850R was sold and was still in full working order after 100 000+MILES

The riding position is different to both the GS and the 850 and having bars can be adjusted a bit more too. Very comfy with the comfort seat and very easy (too easy) to climb all over in the corners. The bike is not a small machine, I just think that it has been slimmed down since the previous models and the BMW engineers have got the balance ratios right. It just feels so light to ride and throw around. My model also has the integrated braking system that links front and back and ABS on the front and the back can be used independently. Trail braking and slow speed use of the back brake is a pleasure and it just all feels very natural. Seat height is also good for me as I am a shorty, but you sit in rather than on the bike.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R