vito
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: Triumph America

Storing bike for winter - on a lift?

#1 Unread post by vito »

I've always stored my bike for the winter by hooking it to the Battery Tender, putting some Stabil in the gas tank, and stuffing a rag in the exhaust pipe. I've always heard that leaving the bike in one position all winter on a concrete garage floor is bad for the tires, but I never felt I had a choice. Now I wonder if jacking it up on a lift, with a couple of tie-downs, would be a better idea for winter storage? This way the tires would be off the ground, but would the weight of the bike balanced on a lift cause the frame to bend or warp? I wonder if any of you store your bike this way, or have decided against this way.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Storing bike for winter - on a lift?

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

I don't "store" bikes in the winter, usually I can get them out at least once a month or so. Even if I couldn't get them out, I can get to where they are - simply moving them a few inches in either direction would take care of any flat spot developing in the tires.

I wouldn't store any bike on the lift I have, because the cylinder has a very slight leak, and eventually the bike would come down (very slowly) over a few days.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by TechTMW »

Hi,
I wouldn't be concerned about the frame as much as the suspension. If you leave the wheels dangling in air, you are putting pressure on the shocks and forks (They will be fully extended) which they are not meant to be for any length of time. If you are concerned about flat spots on the tires, simply roll the bike around once a week or so, and reposition so that it's not resting on the same spot on the tires.
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

I wouldn't worry about the frame at all...that's where the center stand on most bikes is attached, and most people that have a center stand store their bikes on that...my concern would be like jstark47 stated, some lifts have a slow leak that may cause pressure in the cylinder to decrease over time therefore making the bike less stable...nothing worse that going into the garage to find your bike laying on the floor, or worse leaning against the fender of your car...new dent/scratches on both vehicles... :frusty:

I don't have a choice this year...I will be tearing down my bike and doing a bunch of parts replacing and modifying over the winter, so I will let you know how it goes... :?

Thanks for reminding me about the Sta-bil...my bike has been sitting for over a month already...need to get that done!!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#5 Unread post by dr_bar »

madjak30 wrote:...my concern would be like jstark47 stated, some lifts have a slow leak that may cause pressure in the cylinder to decrease over time therefore making the bike less stable...

If jstark47's jack is anything like mine, there is a pin you can put in place to lock the jack in the raised position, taking
all stress off of the cyclinder peventing that slow leak/bike fallen over scenario...

This jack is much like mine. If you look between the jack handle and the main lifting arm, there is a pin with a clip, that
pin comes out and goes through the holes in the main lifting arm, then you release the jack and it locks it in place with
no weight on the cylinder...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#6 Unread post by havegunjoe »

I just purchased and put my bike up on a motorcycle dolly. It works great! I can now roll my bike around the garage with ease and the tires are nessled in pockets not on hard concrete.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

TnT
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: Benelli Cafe Racer

#7 Unread post by TnT »

As far as I am aware it is the cold from the floor that causes issues. I have my bike stood on carpet this seems to work well.

Kuurus
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: Kawasaki Versys 1000 2012

#8 Unread post by Kuurus »

I have my bike stored in a heated garage at the dealership where I bought it, and it remains in the same position for 6-7 months without problem for the tires or anything at all.
2012 Versys 1000 - Woop woop
2009 SV650 SA - sold

tentionfree
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: Hounda

#9 Unread post by tentionfree »

Dear I can get to where they are - simply moving them a few inches in either direction would take care of any flat spot developing in the tires. If you are concerned about flat spots on the tires, simply roll the bike around once a week or so, and reposition so that it's not resting on the same spot on the tires....!!!
:shooting: :shooting: :kicking: :D

christiniawd
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: Christini AWD 450

#10 Unread post by christiniawd »

You Definitely want to drain the fuel form the carburetor or throttle body and put an enzyme treatment into the tank. It only takes about two weeks for the gas now containing ethanol to varnish and clog the jets or injectors. Battery tender is a big help too if you don't want to have to replace your battery after the long winter. Yo will be fine leaving you bike on a stand or on he wheels. Yes it is a good idea to roll them around to avoid flat spots from the tire carcass getting stiff as it cools in the loaded state. Most of the time a few heat cycles or when the tires warm back up a few times will eliminate the flat spots. Frames theses days are so well manufactured that I wouldn't worry about them loosing tolerance....