Local licensing laws - please add!!!!

User avatar
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Posts: 693
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:10 pm
Real Name: Byrney (well, that's what they call me.)
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: 1993 Yamaha TDM
Location: Nottingham, UK

Local licensing laws - please add!!!!

#1 Unread post by Keyoke » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:08 pm

So, what are the laws on getting a bike license in your area? Please add for the information of Newbies - it tends be abe a regularly asked question..

UK laws:

First, you have to do a CBT (compulsory basic training) this can be done from age 17. It is a 1-day course, very simple. after this you can ride a 125cc, with 'L' plates. You are not allowed on motorways, or to carry passengers.

After this, you must complete a Theory test, 2 parts - written, then
hazard awareness.

You then have 2 options available:-

1 - "Part-1" or 2 "Direct Access"

1- Part 1

This can be done also from age 17. It involves a few lessons, then a full 45 min test with a qualified instructor (test done on a 125). Upon passing, you are legal up to a 33.5 bhp for 2 yrs. At the end of this you can ride whatever you wish (no further test necessary)

2 - Direct access

This can be done at age 21+. It is almost the same as above, with the exception that the test is done on a 500cc+, and on completion you can ride anything with 2 wheels!
Last edited by Lion_Lady on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Un-stickied no recent additions
Don't give up.

Not now, not soon, not after being continually knocked down.

If you never give up, you can never truly fail.


User avatar
Posts: 29421
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:00 pm
Real Name: Mike
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
Location: Waterloo, Ontario

What is graduated driver licensing (GDL)?

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:51 am

Borrowed from the Alberta Traffic Safty site: http://www.saferoads.com/drivers/drivers/gdl_qa.html

Alberta Graduated Motorcycle Licensing Program

What is graduated driver licensing (GDL)?

Graduated driver licensing (GDL) is a program designed to improve road safety by creating a lower risk, more controlled environment for new drivers, regardless of age. It provides new drivers with the support, skills and experience they need to handle the complex task of driving.

Driver inexperience is the common factor in collisions involving new drivers. Alberta has introduced this program because statistics show that the 48,000 new drivers entering the licensing system each year have a much higher collision risk. GDL provides new drivers the opportunity to gain experience, skills and maturity before graduating to more demanding driving conditions in order that they become safe and responsible drivers.

What are the goals of Graduated Driver Licensing?

Reduce collisions, injuries and deaths in Alberta.
Reinforce driving is a privilege and not a right.
Create safer drivers early on and throughout their lives by reinforcing safe driving practices.
All provinces that have implemented a GDL program have experienced significant decreases in the collision rates of new drivers.

Who will be affected by GDL?

This program will affect all new drivers, regardless of age.

Do Albertans support GDL?

There is strong support of GDL in Alberta and throughout North America. Insurance industry surveys show a very strong support for "zero alcohol tolerance." Albertans recognize the program can save lives and reduce injuries by reducing the chance of collisions.

[Back to Top]

General Program Conditions
What are the rules and conditions under GDL?

To obtain a Learner's Licence (Class 7) you must:

Be 14 years of age or older
Pass a vision test and a written knowledge test on the rules of the road
Have parental consent if you are younger than 18 years of age
Conditions for Learners

Must hold a Learner's Licence (Class 7) for at least one year
Must be accompanied by a fully licensed (non-probationary) driver who is 18 years of age or older and who is seated next to the driver
Not permitted to drive from midnight to 5 a.m.
No more passengers than seat belts
Fewer demerit points (8) are allowed than for fully licensed drivers
Have a zero alcohol level
To become a Probationary Driver you must:

Be 16 years of age or older
Pass the standard Alberta road test
Conditions for Probationary Drivers

Must spend a minimum of two years as a Probationary Driver
No more passengers than seat belts
Fewer demerit points (8) are allowed than for fully licensed drivers
Have a zero alcohol level
No upgrading to a commercial licence
Cannot serve as an accompanying driver to a Learner
To become a fully licensed driver (Class 5) you must:

Have been suspension free for the last year of the two year Probationary Stage
Pass an advanced road test
What if I drive a motorcycle?

If you apply for a Motorcycle Licence (Class 6) after your Learner’s Licence (Class 7), you will be subject to the conditions under the GDL program.

If I currently hold a Class 5 licence and wish to obtain a Class 6 licence after May 20th, 2003, will I be part of GDL?

No. The GDL program is for first time drivers only. Even if after GDL is in place you move through the three year program and get your Class 5 licence, should you decide to obtain a Class 6 motorcycle licence or upgrade to a higher level of licence, you will not be required to go through the program again.

If I currently hold a Class 7 licence and wish to obtain a Class 6 licence after May 20th, 2003, will I be part of GDL?

Yes, you will serve the conditions of GDL specific to Class 6. The brochure entitled, "New Rules for New Riders" is available at registry agent offices throughout the province.

If I have a valid class 1 thru 5 driver licence and wish to get my motorcycle licence (class 6) will GDL apply to me?

No, it will not. The GDL program for Class 6 only applies to only first time riders holding a Class 7 licence that choose to get their class 6 as their first licence.

If I choose to get my class 6 licence (without having any other class of licence) after my class 7 licence does GDL apply to me?

Yes, it does. GDL applies to all first time riders, class 6 for motorcycle or class 5 for vehicles.

How long will it take to become a fully licensed driver?

It will take a minimum of three years to complete both stages of Graduated Driver Licensing, four years if you get your Learner’s Licence at 14 years of age.

To move from one stage to the next, drivers must show responsible driving behavior, sound driving skills and pass road tests to graduate from the learner and probationary stages.

[Back to Top]

Program Conditions
Why is Alberta introducing a second test?

Alberta will introduce the advanced road test in May 2005. An advanced road test will assess whether drivers can handle the complex driving situations in the safe and responsible manner necessary to become a fully licensed driver. It is much more challenging that the initial road test. Drivers would be expected to:

display smooth, controlled vehicle handling skills
demonstrate that they can assess potential risks
minimize and avoid hazards
What will the rules be regarding moving out of the probationary stage of GDL?

Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation is presently preparing the policy that will guide the implementation of the advanced road test scheduled to be introduced in May 2005. Alberta will review the experience of other jurisdictions that have introduced an advanced road test to determine the best practices.

Why can’t I drive after midnight?

The midnight to 5:00 A.M. curfew applies to Learner Drivers only. Staying off the road when the risks are highest is a good way to avoid collisions:

half of the fatal collisions involving new drivers happen at night;
people are tired;
it’s harder to see; and
impaired driving occurs more often late at night.
These factors put lives in danger; especially for new drivers who are still developing the skills they need to avoid collisions. If you are out after midnight, your accompanying driver, who is 18 years or older and who is not a probationary driver, could take over the driving responsibility.

Why must there be a seat belt for every passenger?

Seat belts are the best way to avoid injury in a collision. This condition ensures that the vehicle is not overcrowded and everyone is protected in case of a collision.

Why am I not allowed to consume any alcohol before driving?

Under the GDL program, learners and probationary drivers shall not consume any alcohol before driving. Driving is a very complex skill that requires full attention. Alcohol impairs skill and judgment especially for new drivers who may already be experiencing driving challenges. Consuming even a small amount of alcohol can be dangerous.

[Back to Top]

Violation Of Program Conditions
What will happen if I breach any GDL program condition?

Violating any program condition may result in a new driver being charged with an offence as outlined below:

Proposed Penalty

Zero tolerance for alcohol
Immediate 30 day suspension

No more passengers than seat belts
$100 fine & 2 demerit points

Driving after midnight (Learner Drivers only)
$100 fine & 2 demerit points

Accompanying driver
$200 fine & 2 demerit points

Note: If a novice driver’s licence is suspended with 8 or more demerit points, the licence will be reinstated following the suspension with 3 demerit points.

Effective intervention strategies will be in place that will enable Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation to quickly identify problem driving behaviors that could be corrected by having the driver attend courses.

[Back to Top]

Transition Plan
If I already have my learner’s licence, will I have to go through the
GDL program?

Learner Drivers (Class 7)

All drivers who have a learner’s licence that was issued before May 20, 2003, will not have to serve the minimum learning period of one year before being eligible to take the road test to qualify to be a probationary driver. However, they will be subject to all other conditions of the GDL program:

zero blood alcohol content
fully licensed driver (non-probationary) of at least 18 years of age who is seated next to the driver
no more passengers than seat belts
not permitted to drive between midnight and 5:00 A.M.
less than 8 demerit points to exit the learner category.
Class 7 drivers who successfully pass a Class 5 or 6 road test on or after May 20, 2003 will be subject to all the conditions of the GDL Probationary Program.

Present PROBATIONARY Drivers (Class 5)

Alberta presently has a probationary driver program in place that means all new drivers spend two years on probation. Their driving record is monitored during that period and if they incur demerit points they would have sanctions earlier than a fully licensed driver, including extension of probation. Drivers on probation on May 20, 2003 will have their driving behavior monitored until they finish probation.

Existing Alberta Drivers (Classes 1-6)

Drivers who have a Class 1 to Class 6 licence that was issued before May 20, 2003 will not be subject to GDL.

Note: New drivers are encouraged not to rush into taking a road test before GDL is put in place. You must have adequate study, practice and experience before taking the Alberta road test.

If I pass my Class 5 road test before May 20, 2003 but do not upgrade my licence from a Class 7 to a Class 5 until May 20, 2003 or after, will I be subject to GDL conditions?

Yes. Although you passed your Class 5 road test before May 20, 2003 if you did not have your Class 7 operator's licence "re-classed" by a registry agent to a Class 5 until May 20, 2003 or later, you will be affected by GDL and be subject to all Probationary Driver (GDL Class 5) conditions as follows:

Must spend a minimum of 2 years as a Probationary Driver
No more passengers than seat belts
Fewer demerits points are allowed than for fully licensed drivers
Have a zero alcohol level
No upgrading to a commercial licence
Cannot serve as an accompanying driver to a learner
Must pass an advanced road test.
[Back to Top]

Information For New Albertans
I have come from another province’s GDL program. How will I be affected by Alberta’s GDL?

You will be given credit in Alberta for time spent in the other GDL program. You will have to meet all of the conditions of Alberta’s requirements to be fully licensed.

Will drivers coming from jurisdictions outside of Alberta, who have many years driving experience, be subject to the minimum three year requirement to complete both stages of GDL?

Drivers coming from jurisdictions outside of Alberta will need to provide documented proof that they have held a driver's licence for a two-year period. If the required documentation is not available, drivers would be issued a probationary licence until such time as driving experience is confirmed. Those drivers who have not held their licence for a two-year period would be provided with a probationary licence.

What is acceptable documentation to prove two years driving experience?

Any document which states the original date of issue of your driver’s licence and/or confirms two years previous driving experience is acceptable (i.e., the actual driver licence, driver abstract)

[Back to Top]

Additional GDL Information
Will the age to learn to drive change when GDL comes in?

The minimum age in which you can obtain a Learner’s Licence is 14 years old. This age will not change with the implementation of GDL. It is considered that all supervised practice is very beneficial and encouraged.

I plan to drive a moped with a Class 7 licence as I am currently allowed to. Under the Graduated Driver Licensing Program will anything change?

If you drive a moped with a Class 7 licence, you will be subject to two conditions of GDL:

You may not consume any alcohol prior to driving.
You must abide by the driving restriction in force between midnight and 5:00 a.m.
What happens if I move out of province while under GDL?

Almost all provinces have a GDL program; therefore, your time in the program in Alberta will be credited toward the requirement in that province.

What impact will GDL have on insurance for new drivers?

The insurance incentive in place that results from successful completion of driver training will continue to be in place. Otherwise, GDL will have no impact on insurance rates in the foreseeable future.

How will my Graduated Driver Licence look different from a regular operator’s licence?

Your licence will have the letters GDL clearly identified to ensure that law enforcement is aware that you are subject to driving conditions.

Under the GDL Program will a Class 7 or Class 5 GDL driver be required to display a sign in the vehicle they are driving to identify them as a novice driver?

This is not a requirement for Alberta's GDL program. The actual driver's licence will be the only thing which will differentiate a GDL driver from a fully licensed driver.

Can a driver under the GDL program take a Defensive Driving (DDC) course to reduce the demerit points on their record?

Yes. If a client is suspended at 8 demerit points, but completed the merit credit course (DDC) prior to the conviction that caused the demerit suspension, they will be credited three points.

I currently hold a probationary licence. Will I be affected by the new GDL program?

No. The province of Alberta currently has a Probationary Driver Licence Program which has been in effect since 1988. This licence however, must not be confused with the new GDL program which includes a two year probationary period with conditions that come into effect on May 20th, 2003.

Can a driver under the GDL program take a Defensive Driving Course (DDC) to reduce the demerit points on their record?

Yes. If a novice driver successfully completes a course that is satisfactory to the Registrar while that person has 7 demerit points or less on their driving record, that person is entitled to have a reduction of up to 3 demerit points. You may take advantage of this demerit reduction procedure only once every 2 years.

Note: You must have at least 2 demerits on your driving record in order to apply the demerit reduction mentioned above.
NEW 2021 Motorcycle Model Guides
2020 Motorcycle Model Guides
2019 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

User avatar
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:12 pm
Sex: Male
Location: West Virginia

#3 Unread post by madmax » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:52 pm

Here in West Virginia you can get a drivers license at 16. A motorcycle license is a class F endorsement on your drivers license. This can be obtained by passing a state written test and skills test. However if you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundations safety course and earn your certificate (weekend course, movies on safety, parking lot practice, ect.) you can be issued a class F endorsement by taking the written test only. Under 18 requires a parents signature as does the regular drivers license.
Live it like you mean it, this ain't no dress rehearsal!

User avatar
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Posts: 728
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:40 pm
Sex: Male

#4 Unread post by Mag7C » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:56 pm

In OR, it's basically the same as what madmax said, but if you take the safety course there are no DMV tests of any kind.

User avatar
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:51 pm
Sex: Male
Location: Cincinnati

#5 Unread post by houk » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:55 pm

Here in West Virginia you can get a drivers license at 16. A motorcycle license is a class F endorsement on your drivers license. This can be obtained by passing a state written test and skills test. However if you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundations safety course and earn your certificate (weekend course, movies on safety, parking lot practice, ect.) you can be issued a class F endorsement by taking the written test only. Under 18 requires a parents signature as does the regular drivers license.
Same deal in Ohio, except its called a class M endorsement.
04 HD XL1200R

75 Suzuki GT 550

User avatar
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:49 am
Sex: Male
Location: moved to Calgary, AB

#6 Unread post by allawybiker » Mon May 09, 2005 5:19 pm

Here in WA:
DMV written test gets you a learner's permit for 3 months, renewable for another 3.
during that period, you have one of two choices:
1. DMV riding skills test
2. Successfully completing the MSF class and test
Suzuki Boulevard M50 Black

Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.

User avatar
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 8:57 pm
Sex: Male
Location: MAFB, Alabama

#7 Unread post by Psycluded » Fri May 20, 2005 2:25 pm


In Alabama, you must already have a class D license (4-wheel vehicles), and have no outstanding tickets or other violations.

To take the written test (that's all they require), you need to pony up $5 and pass the test. It's based on the MSF manual that you all should have seen. Easy, simple stuff.

After that, take the sheet to the probate office and pay them $23 and your license will be in the mail!

I know, I know. Not even requiring an MSF course, it's almost like they're asking people to go buy a bike and kill themselves. You see a lot of squiddies in nothing but a helmet on their GSX-R 600s around here.
2005 Honda CBR600F4i - STOLEN
2005 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition

User avatar
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:58 am

#8 Unread post by Blexcroid » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:05 am

TEXAS is a bit different on their licensing structure:
50CC or less takes only a written exam and receives a "K" (moped) restriction.
Over 50cc requires both a written and a driving exam. This gives a full "M" (motorcycle) endorsement.
If a rider takes the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course, the driving exam is waived, however the written exam is still required. The state written exam is nearly identical to the MSF written exam, however, a few questions covreing state motorist laws are covered.
Bottom line-- if you can pass the MSF class, the state written is a piece of cake.

User avatar
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:41 am
Sex: Male
Location: TN

#9 Unread post by Newrider42 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:18 am

In Tennessee, you can be 14 to get a motorcycle license. You just have to have a dot approved helmet and ride around the block proving you can control the bike. I can't remember if I took a written test, I think I did. Your motorcycle license is a class M here.

User avatar
Bike Phreak
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:27 pm
Sex: Male
Location: San Diego, CA

California - The sunshine state

#10 Unread post by Bike Phreak » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:52 pm

Well here are the laws

Unfortunately you don't have to take any course to get a permit, just the written test (VERY EASY). Then you must do a bike course set up at some DMV's across the state (Also easy, though you can't just walk up and take it.)


The way I went through it I suggest for ALL riders regaurdless of experiance. I paid $200 for a 3 day Motorcycle Safty Course http://www.ca-msp.org/index.asp

I had never ridden anything before dirt or otherwise. This course has saved my @$$ in more than one scenario. I thought I was going to be hot "poo poo" like all the other bikes I saw tearing down the street (you the those guys full face helmet nice leather jacket with shorts and tennis shoes). This course really set me straight and *IT COUNTS AS YOUR RIDING TEST AT THE DMV* :laughing: Now that I have the attention of all the californians. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR.
'05 Kaw Ninja 250 R

Next bike? Hmmmm :laughing: Kaw 600 RR? Custom paint of the Grim Reaper.

User avatar
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:45 am
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little
Location: South Africa

#11 Unread post by sapaul » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:34 am

South Africa:

16 to 18 year olds ride on an A1 license.

This is a written theory test, you then have 18 months in which to take practical on bike test. No more than 125 cc. No pillions

Over 18 must sit an A test, regardless of any other license held.

This is a written theory test, you then have 18 months in which to take practical on bike test. Any CC, No pillions.

Once the practical tests have been taken you may then carry pillions in that catagory.

We also have license renewals every five years which requires an eye test, fail the eye test, lose your license. Car and/or bike.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

User avatar
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Posts: 2516
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:27 pm
Sex: Male
Location: Cheyenne, WY

#12 Unread post by jmillheiser » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:21 am

In Wyoming you can get an M endorsement by taking a written and riding skills test. Have to be 16 or older. Can also get a 90 day permit with only a written.

MSF course completion (MSF course only costs 15$ in wyoming) counts for both written and riding skills test. Here you just bring in your MSF completion card and they give you your endorsement.

Only restriction is in wyoming if you are 16 is the restrictions of the GDL program apply in terms of no passengers and no night riding until you make it to the next step of the GDL program.

Wyoming also makes no distinction between a motorcycle and a scooter/moped.

Though Wyoming is thinking about adding a Scooter based MSF course due to the sigfificant increase in scooter sales here. Apparantly a lot of the new scooter riders have been bugging the DOT to do a Scooter specific MSF course.

Wyoming is unusual in that its one of the few places where there isn't 10,000 layers of bureaucracy in the state govt. When I went to sign up for the MSF course I went down to the DOT building in town and talked to the head of the motorccyle safety program for the state of wyoming (living in the state capital has its advantages), she was very friendly and even called me when an early cancellation took place so I could take the course earlier.

Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:45 am


#13 Unread post by denunciation » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:52 am

In Ontario Canada:

M1 class licence is for beginners. Achieved by a written test. This is only valid for 3 months.

M2 class is done by passing a raod test with the DMV or by completing a trainning course, upon completion M2 class is awarded. Valid for 5 years.

M class is the final class, obtained by completing a road test through the ministry of transportation.

Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:18 am
Sex: Male
Location: NSW, Australia

#14 Unread post by Awox » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:56 am

I am from New South Wales, Australia.

Learner License

You must be at least 16 years and 9 months old before you are issued with a learner licence. However, you may book into and attend a pre-learner course at the age of 16 years and 6 months. You do not have to hold a driver licence to get a motorcycle licence.

Learner and provisional riders are limited to 260cc engines with no more than a power-to-weight ratio of no more than 150kW per metric tonne.

1. Go to motor Registry and register for WHEEL-SKILLS' learners course, gear and bikes (very nicely maintained CB250s) are supplied ($60.00)
2. Attend the two-day (2 x 3.5hour day weekend) course and achieve a "pass" outcome. This was very easy for me to do, and I had never even been out of second on a car. This course covers "road-craft" or defencive riding, turning, braking and gearing.
3. On monday take the cerfiticate the instructer signed to the motor registry to take the electronic DKT (Driver Knowledge Test) ($33.00 each attempt)
4. After passing buy a license ($17.00)

Provisional License

You must have held your learner rider licence for a minimum of three months before you are eligible to attend the pre-provisional course. However, you may book your course any time after gaining your learner rider licence.

Your learner rider licence is valid for six months. If you have not passed the pre-provisional course within that time your licence will expire and you will need to attend the pre-learner course again. Mature age riders are exempt from the requirement to wait three months between courses.

1. Book and complete the MOST (Motorcycle Operator Skills Test, Designed to measure a rider’s ability to handle a motorcycle, including starting, accelerating, turning and braking. It is undertaken at the end of the pre-provisional rider-training course.) (Unknown cost)
2. Take another DKT and pay another licensing fee if you pass.

Getting a full rider licence

After you have held your Provisional Rider Licence for 12 months you can upgrade to a full rider’s licence. It is your responsibility to attend a motor registry to have the licence upgraded and a new photo taken.

Trivia: It is required to have either a full motorcycle or full car license before you can pilot a "tricycle", you can however only have passengers if you have a full "motorcycle" license.

User avatar
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:24 pm
Sex: Male
Location: in the winding hills of the frozen north

Re: Ontario

#15 Unread post by archanis » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:58 am

this information was found both at my local dmv, and the following website: http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/akol/motor.htm
alaska dmv licence laws wrote:MOTORCYCLE (M1) LICENSE:

An applicant for an original motorcycle license (see below for motor-driven cycle) must be at least 16 years of age and must have held an instruction permit for a minimum of 6 months, if under the age of 18. If an applicant is under 18 years of age, they must have parental consent to obtain the license.

An applicant will be required to pass the following tests prior to being issued a motorcycle license. The license fee is valid for approximately five years. The license expires on your date of birth.

* Written knowledge test (or present a valid Alaska learner's permit or driver license)
* Written motorcycle knowledge test* (or present a valid motorcycle instruction permit)
* Vision test
* Fees
* Motorcycle road test*

*In lieu of the written motorcycle test and the motorcycle road test, an applicant may present a card issued from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation showing they have passed one of the Motorcycle Rider Courses listed below. The course must have been successfully completed within the current or previous calendar year. Courses completed in other states will be accepted as well as those in Alaska; however, you must go to a DMV in person in order to obtain the motorcycle permit.

* Easy Rider Course
* Experienced Rider Course
* Basic Rider Course
* Beginning Rider Course
* Motorcycle Rider Course


An applicant for an original motor-driven cycle permit must be at least 14 years of age and must have parental consent to obtain the permit.

An applicant will be required to pass the following tests prior to being issued a motor-driven cycle permit.

* Written knowledge test (or present a valid Alaska learner's permit)
* Written motorcycle knowledge test (or present a valid motorcycle instruction permit)
* Vision test
* Fees
* Motorcycle road test


An applicant for an original motorcycle instruction permit must be at least 14 years of age. If an applicant is under 18 years of age, they must have parental consent to obtain the permit. An applicant is required to furnish two pieces of identification, one to prove date of birth and one to prove identity. Please see the following for a list of acceptable items.

An applicant will be required to pass the following tests prior to being issued a motorcycle instruction permit. The permit is valid for two years from the date of issue.

* Written knowledge test (or present a valid Alaska learner's permit or driver license)
* Written motorcycle knowledge test
* Fees
* Vision test

Special Restrictions: The instruction permit is valid only under the following conditions:

* The applicant is eligible for a regular motorcycle or motor-driven cycle permit in every way except for age and/or driving ability.
* The applicant must be under the direct supervision of a person who:

a. is at least 21 years of age

b. has been licensed for that class of motorcycle for at least 1 year.

A motorcycle helmet that meets or exceeds established standards must be worn at all times the applicant, regardless of age, is on the motorcycle or motor-driven cycle.

Rev. 10/12/05
other laws for alaska, such as helmet laws, can be found here: http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws ... p?state=ak
or you could google it like i did.

note that they make no mention of cost. it costs about 10 bucks to get your original licence, and 40 to add a motorcycle endorcement. at least in my town.
faster than a quadriplegic racehorse!

User avatar
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:23 am
Sex: Male
Location: florida-land of dragons

#16 Unread post by DragonSlayer » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:13 am

fl motorcycle faq

When do I need a motorcycle endorsement?

If you wish to operate any two or three wheel motorcycle, whose engine is more than 50 cc, you are required to have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver license or a motorcycle-only license.

What are the requirements to obtain a motorcycle endorsement?

1. Hold at least a regular Class E operator's driver license.

2. If under 21 years old, show proof of completion of a motorcycle safety course to a driver license office or tax collector office that issues driver licenses.

3. If at least 21 years old, show proof of completion of a motorcycle safety course to a driver license office or tax collector office that issues driver licenses OR pass the motorcycle knowledge and skills tests at a driver license office, tax collector office, or third-party tester that offers such tests.

NOTE: Tax collector offices charge an additional $5.25 fee for driver license transactions.

What is a motorcycle Third-Party Tester?

These are FRTP rider course providers who have signed an agreement with the Department to provide the same motorcycle knowledge and/or skill tests as the state. Passing one or both of the tests at their site will waive one or both of the tests at the driver license office when you present the waiver they issue. Fees vary by location.

What if I bring a three-wheel motorcycle or a sidecar motorcycle for my motorcycle skill test?

A variation of the regular skill test is used and you will be restricted to “Three-wheel Motorcycles Only.”


What are the requirements for obtaining a Temporary Instruction Permit for Motorcycle Operation?

1. Be at least 21 years old

2. Hold at least a regular operator license (Class E)

3. Pass the motorcycle knowledge test at a driver license office or tax collector office that issues licenses

The permit will be restricted to “No Passengers” until the motorcycle skill test is passed or a motorcycle safety course is completed and motorcycle endorsement is added to the license.

NOTE: Tax collector offices charge an additional $5.25 fee for driver license transactions.


What does getting a "Motorcycle Only" driver license involve? Who can get one?

1. Be at least 16 years old, and if under 18, hold a Learner's License for one year with no traffic convictions.

2. Pass the same knowledge test as for a regular Class E operator's driver license.

3. If under 21 years old, show proof of completion of a motorcycle safety course to a driver license office or tax collector office that issues licenses.

4. If at least 21 years old, show proof of completion of a motorcycle safety course to a driver license office or tax collector office that issues licenses OR pass the motorcycle knowledge and skills tests at a driver license office, tax collector office, or third-party tester that offers such tests.

Your license will be restricted to operating "Motorcycles Only."

NOTE: Tax collector offices charge an additional $5.25 fee for driver license transactions.

Can I upgrade to a regular license later and have the "Motorcycle Only" restriction removed?

Yes, by passing the regular driving test in a regular four-wheel motor vehicle.


What are the BasicRider Course enrollment requirements:

You must hold at least a Learner’s Driver License to enroll in the Basic RiderCourse. Having a basic knowledge of traffic laws, road signs and general “road rules” is an important pre-curser to the rider course.

What about the MSF Experienced RiderCourse Suite?

To enroll in the six-hour ERC Suite to add motorcycle endorsement to your license you must:

1. Be 21 years of age or older

2. Bring your own motorcycle, or bring written permission to use another privately-owned motorcycle

3. Provide your own helmet and protective riding gear

4. Provide proof of liability insurance on the motorcycle brought for the course

In order to receive a knowledge and skills test waiver form, you must pass both the knowledge and skills test provided at the end of the course.

Completion of a basic or experienced rider safety course may entitle a motorcyclist to insurance premium discounts.

Will Florida accept rider course completion cards from out-of-state rider courses or the military and waive testing in Florida to add motorcycle endorsements to existing or first time Florida licenses?

Yes, if the rider course completion card or a certificate of completion indicates that the motorcycle rider course curriculum was sponsored or approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Will other states accept RiderCourse course completion cards issued by Florida schools and waive tests?

Some states will accept the MSF card from Florida’s schools and waive both tests. Some states will waive only the skills test and still some may require full testing anyway. Contact other state’s licensing departments to be certain.

What are the motorcycle helmet requirements in Florida?

Please see motorcycle helmet exemption.

Are you required to wear eye protection to operate a motorcycle? How about as a passenger?

All persons who operate motorcycles must wear eye protection. Passengers should also for safety reasons, but are not required by law to do so.


I am stationed outside of Florida, how can I add a motorcycle endorsement to my Florida license?

1. Complete a military motorcycle rider course or Motorcycle Safety Foundation sponsored rider course and

2. Send a copy of the completion card with $15 and request a duplicate driver license with an endorsement and make the check or money order payable to "DDL” or Division of Driver Licenses

3. Include your name, military mailing address, driver license number and date of birth in your letter

4. Send the letter to: Bureau of Records, PO Box 5775, Tallahassee, FL 32314-5775

What about motorized scooters?

Please see motorized scooters.

Is there a motorized vehicle you can operate on a public roadway in Florida without a driver license?

Yes, if you are at least 16 years old, you may ride a bicycle that is propelled by a combination of human power (pedals) and an electric helper-motor that cannot go faster than 20 mph on level ground. These are exempt from the driver license law definition of motor vehicle and thus do not require a driver license.


Is insurance required for motorcycles in Florida?

Under certain circumstances Yes. Insurance is not required to register motorcycles as with four-wheel motor vehicles. However, if a motorcycle operator is charged in a crash with injuries, then the owner or owner/operator is financially responsible for bodily injuries and property damage to others. If no liability coverage was in effect, then bodily injury/property damage liability insurance must be purchased and kept for three years to avoid license and tag/registration suspension or to reinstate license and tag/registration after suspension.

What about motorcycle passenger insurance?

If you plan to carry passengers it is a good idea to ask your insurance carrier about the need for carrying passenger insurance coverage.

Is there a minimum age requirement for motorcycle passengers?

Florida law does not address a minimum age for passengers. However, other laws may apply such as endangering a minor.
Fly, you must fly
-Harley Sportster 883 '98

User avatar
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:35 am
Sex: Male
Location: Fort Smith AR

#17 Unread post by ejshotgun » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:54 pm

Oklahoma Motorcycle Endorsement: OkDriversManual
(this info came from Oklahoma DMV the above address is directly to the Oklahoma Drivers manual)

Motorcycle License;
You must have a valid Oklahoma Class A,B,C or D license.(see Drivers License info below)
Must be at least 16 and pass the Motorcycle Endorsement Test.
This includes vision/written/skills test(there is a seperate manual for motorcycles)OkMotorcycleManual
Driving test must prove you can operate the motorcycle safely. Drivers test may be waved if you have
proof that you completed an approved Motorcycle Safety Foundation course
Plus the Bike must have proper licensed/insurance and they will do a safety walk around checking the
Helmut is required for anyone under 18.
If you have to take the drivers test it depends on where you get the endorsement on how they conduct it.
when I got mine they followed me and would signal where they wanted me to go. Some places us 2-
way radio

Motorcycle License Permit;
Must be at least 14.
Restricted to a motor scooter or motorcycle w/ a piston displacement of no more than 25cc
May only ride between 4:30a.m. and 9:00p.m.
Can’t carry a passenger.
If the bike is less than 150cc you may not exceed 35mph.
If bike is over 150cc but not larger than 25cc you may drive the posted speed limit w/exception you may
not drive on a highway w/posted minimum speed limit such as an interstate or turnpike.
All of these restrictions lifted when you turn 16 except you must wear a helmet if under 18.
You must be receiving instruction from a parent, legal guardian or any person 21 or older who has a valid
Oklahoma Driver License w/motorcycle endorsement added and who has visual contact w/the
You must meet the requirements for a regular driver license.
You may take the driving test 30 days after the permit is issued.
Pass the drivers test and the learner’s restriction is removed.
After you have completed an approved Motorcycle Safety Foundation course and you have had your motorcycle permit for 30 days your skill test may be waived.
14-15 year olds must have someone sign paperwork that they are responsible for liability/insurance.

Oklahoma Drivers License info:
Must present primary identifation. This must be an original document. Such as Oklahoma ID/State or City or County issued certified birth certificate/plus there are several others that are ok to bring. Also a secondary Identification also same as above including a Social Security Card.
If under 18 must have proof of enrollment/or excused absence.
Your high school diploma.
Or proof that you have a GED or in the process of getting one or home schooled.
Plus pass a vision/written/driving test.
More detailed info OklahomaDepartmentPublicSafety
'77 KZ1000LTD

Riding again!!

User avatar
The Grinch
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:22 pm
Sex: Male
Location: Mt. Crumpet

#18 Unread post by The Grinch » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:03 pm


You need an M1 endorsement to ride a motorcycle on the public roads. To get it, you pay $26 and take a 40 question multiple choice written test (passing is 90%) and a riding skills test in a parking lot administered by a DMV employee. If you have a certificate from an MSF basic rider course, the DMV will waive the riding skills test.

You can get a leaner's permit by taking the written test without the riding skills test. The permit is good for one year and is renewable. You can't ride on the freeway, carry a passenger, or ride at night.

There are no equipment restrictions. Complete beginners can, and unfortunately do, ride Hayabusas and other big bikes!

User avatar
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:06 am
Sex: Male
Location: Whitmore Lake, MI

#19 Unread post by Kim » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Here is the law in Michigan:

To obtain your original motorcycle endorsement, you must pass a:

Special knowledge test at your local Secretary of State branch office, and a
Rider Skills Test offered by an independent testing agency approved by the Secretary of State. (This test is waived for those who pass the motorcycle safety course approved by the Department of State or the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.)

If you are age 16 or 17, you are required to take the motorcycle rider safety course and you must present your course completion certificate to the Secretary of State branch office before your motorcycle endorsement will be issued.

If you are age 18 or older, you are not required to take the motorcycle rider safety course unless you twice fail the motorcycle rider skills test.

The tests are waived if you have a valid motorcycle license or endorsement in another state. Contact your local Secretary of State branch office for additional information about testing or the availability of a motorcycle safety course.

Motorcycle Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP)

To obtain a motorcycle temporary instruction permit, you must:

Be at least age 16;
Hold a valid Michigan driver license (or a Michigan driving TIP);
Pay the endorsement fee, and
If you are age 16 or 17, show proof of enrollment in a motorcycle rider safety course or that you already completed the course.

The TIP is valid for 180 days. While driving on the motorcycle TIP, you cannot ride at night, carry passengers, and you must be under the constant visual supervision of a licensed motorcycle operator at least age 18.

The great thing about the temp permit is you can apply for it a second time if necessary.
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

User avatar
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 3:05 pm
Real Name: Barry
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing
Location: Corry, Pennsylvania


#20 Unread post by Scoutmedic » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:09 pm

Here's the brief version for Pennsylvania.....
How do I obtain a motorcycle license? What is the process?

A Motorcycle Learner’s Permit Application (Form DL-5) will first need to be completed and, along with the $10.00 fee, taken to a PennDOT Driver License Center for processing. You will be given a vision screening and a motorcycle knowledge test at this time. After passing the knowledge test, the application will be processed and a motorcycle (Class M) learner’s permit issued. The learner’s permit allows you to practice safe operating skills and is valid for one year. When ready to take your skills test, you can either schedule an appointment at one of PennDOT’s Driver License Centers or schedule training through the motorcycle safety program. After the skills test has been passed, a motorcycle (Class M) license will be issued.
The motorcycle safety program listed is the Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program (PAMSP) which uses the MSF course as it's guide. For more information and frequently asked questions, follow this link to the PENNDOT FAQ Webpage.

*Edit 02/13/2007* Updated Links and other info:

Here are some links to get you started with motorcycling in Pennsylvania:

Motorcycle Permit Application Process: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/specializedD ... vers.shtml

Permit Process FAQ: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/faq/faq-mcpermit.shtml

Motorcycle Operators Manual: http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotforms/ ... pub147.pdf

PA Motorcycle Safety Program: http://www.pamsp.com/

About the Motorcycle Safety Program: http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotforms/ ... pub146.pdf
Last edited by Scoutmedic on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply