Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

Hot Weather Jacket advice

#1 Unread post by Brackstone »

Hey All,

So I have had two jackets since I've started riding basically. One is a leather for the colder weather, the other is a Leather/Textile Mix for the warmer weather. Since I've moved it takes me considerable more time to get to an area where I can ride around at speeds where I get a nice enough breeze to stay cool.

I wanted to ask if anyone out there owns a Mesh Jacket and how much they like it. Particularly if you have experience with a Textile Jacket as well and how it compares.

Thanks All!
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Hot Weather Jacket advice

#2 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Great question and perfect timing as Mike & I are contemplating the same! Down here in Houston it's pretty much a necessity to get a mesh jacket. Any input is greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:
Andrea :sun:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

I recently bought a Joe Rocket Velocity mesh jacket and like it quite a bit.

My previous experiences were with a TourMasters Transitions 2 jacket. It was just way too hot to be riding around in 90+ temps.

I got the Velocity and it definitely cooled me down a bit. I was able to ride longer and with less fatigue in the heat.

I recently went down at about 10 MPH due to my front end washing out in some sand and you can barely even see the scuff on the jacket, even though it went right through the leather of my boot and scraped up the steel toe. Plus I recently rode up to the top of Pikes Peak with it, and it was decent down to about 50 degrees or so. (Top was 40 degrees, the Springs was at 85 that day.)
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#4 Unread post by sapaul »

When I rode through Namibia it was hitting 40C, can you say bloody hot. As it can get very hot in SA at times, we wear one piece body armour under an MX shirt. We have found this to work better than the mesh jackets. It worked very well in the 40C heat in Namibia, even allowing us to wet the mesh on the armour when we really suffered.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I like my mesh jacket. It has elbow, shoulder and back pads...when you're moving...so great to have air flow.

Another option is one of those vests that you soak in water...wear it under your jacket...supposedly it keeps you cool...kind of like those neck scarfs with the gel in them that you soak.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I've got a BMW Airshell jacket that I'm pretty happy with. Even crashed in it at highway speeds (90kph/55mph) without injury, and the jacket's still useable (wet road could've reduced abrasion damage to the jacket though). It did its job and is still in service, what more can you ask?

That said, if the weather where you are is cool enough to tolerate a perforated leather jacket, I'd recco that over mesh. As soon as it gets even slightly cooler, mine goes on. (I'd even prefer solid leather, but being from the tropics, it's not an option).
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#7 Unread post by BobK »

I have a textile jacket now. I bought it to replace my old mesh jacket that fell apart. The mesh jacket is definitely cooler. There aren't many days around here when it gets really hot, but today was one of them (38C) and I was wishing I had a mesh jacket.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#8 Unread post by Brackstone »

Thank you everyone for your advice. After weighting the choices I'm going to get that mesh jacket I've had my eye on :)
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I know I'm going to need a hot weather jacket myself as well. My Canadian stuff it just too hot for +40°C sustained temperatures. I've taken a look and tried one a few jackets and like the Tourmaster Intake 3.0 myself, but it's quite pricey vs the competition. I like the Joe Rocket line but only tired on the (Phoenix 3.0 mesh) and it was really uncomfortable. There was also a jacket made by a "no-name" called (I think) BINK or BLIK? Something like that that wasn't bad, just too short.

Still looking...

Brackstone, which brand did you get?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Olympia has some nice stuff.