Any Suggestions?

JackoftheGreen
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Any Suggestions?

#1 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I don't know if I've mentioned this on the forums before, but I consider myself something of an aspiring novelist. That is to say, I enjoy writing fiction and hope to publish some day.

The project I've been working on has started to stall out, at 300 pages no less, and I'm hoping to 'freshen' my eye by starting something on the side. Something small, sorta fun and little less cerebral than what I'm currently doing. To that end, and given my current obsession with SoA, I'm thinking of writing a novel about an MC in it's birthing phase. I picture some ex-military guys, mostly youngish Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans, who start out just riding together for fun but eventually organize in an effort to push out dangerous elements taking hold in their small New Mexico town. As, and if, the series progresses, the line between benevolent protectors and criminal enterprise will inevitably and necessarily blur.

So here's my question. First, does that sound like something any of you would want to read? And second, does anyone have any insight into a project of this type I should take into consideration?

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Any Suggestions?

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Look up the beginning of the Hell's Angels and Sons of Silence MC gangs. Pretty much the same story (except they banded together to protect themselves, not just their town).
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#3 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I enjoy that, I also enjoy the riders groups stories and blogs not always the 1%ers. They have been written about and movies have been made and people love that stuff, but I also enjoy the more down to earth stuff the Ewan Mcregor style if you will. I think this has more come into the fray with the advent of personal social media in the last decade or so. I love reading about how annual events are began and how with the internet people meet up from all over the world at random events and that kinda stuff. sorry if this is long winded but I hope it can in some way help.
Dave
there aint nothin like it

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#4 Unread post by mogster »

The macho biker gang books have been done to death - maybe a bit of lady biker action ( not biker chick on the back) would be a niche genre?
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

freebird73
Regular
Regular
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2007 yamaha yzf 600r

#5 Unread post by freebird73 »

i agree with Mogster :)

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#6 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

mogster wrote:The macho biker gang books have been done to death - maybe a bit of lady biker action ( not biker chick on the back) would be a niche genre?
freebird73 wrote:i agree with Mogster
As they say, 'write what you know'. I don't think I could write from an exclusively female perspective, but there will be women in the club riding their own bikes. That's something I was already planning on doing, although to what extent and to what degree I won't know until the characters tell me. (-:

That said, is there anything from the lady biker perspective that I simply can't ignore? What's the quintessential 'woman rider' experience?

Ryan and Dave, thanx for the input. I read up on SoS and the HA, and although there's not much to be found at first blush about their formative years I learned a lot about the iconography associated with 1%'s and that's going to come into play. As for personal stories of rides and annual events and such, these are also elements I intend to write to. I very much want to write a story about riders who just happen to become outlaws, rather than outlaws who just happen to be riders.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#7 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Have at it I'll read it!!!!
there aint nothin like it