MaeBe43
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2002 Suzuki SV650s

heel shifter

#1 Unread post by MaeBe43 »

Does anyone have any info on modifying the shifter on a 2002 Suzuki SV650s to make it a heel shifter? Any aftermarket parts that would work? :shock:

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

Re: heel shifter

#2 Unread post by sapaul »

Now here is a first, never heard of anyone wanting a heel shifter on an SV, care to share why ?
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

MaeBe43
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by MaeBe43 »

Hi there all the way in South Africa is it? WOW! To answer your question I'm 5'2" which in centimeters translates to really short. 8) I have only been riding about a year. 150cc scooter, to Suzuki C50 (which has a heel shifter) and now a Suzuki SV650s. The seat height is 61/2 inches higher then my other bike. Without platform boots I can't put both feet on the ground. I can't get the boots under the shifter. I have a mechanic that is helping me modify stuff. He got a part yesterday that will lower the bike from 1 to 3 inches. There's also the suspension that can be softened a little since my 110 pounds doesn't even make the bike flinch when I sit on it now. With these changes it may be low enough to feel secure enough to try riding it without changing the shifter. Once I get more practice it may not be so awkward stopping and starting on my tip toes.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#4 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

First, let me say welcome to TMW! We're glad to have you, and your story is wonderful.

I crawled all over the aftermarket sources I buy my stuff through, and could find no rumor of a heel/toe for the SV650. These types of bikes aren't my comfort zone but I have to assume it's not a common modification, so you may be in the realm of custom fabrication to get such a thing completed.

After reading your purpose for wanting the heel/toe on your bike, my advice is this. First, consider some sort of modification to the shift lever itself before getting into a custom rocker assembly. Could the lever be reshaped (bent) or extended in such a way that would allow you to get those chunky boots under it? Or perhaps the lever left alone but the pegs repositioned? The aftermarket does so much for fitment, I have to assume there's a wealth of peg options available.

Second, it sounds like the SV650 is rather poorly suited to your stature. Few things in my experience are more a deal breaker than not being able to get your feet down -- are you sure a different bike might not be the best option, rather than customizing this one?

And again, welcome to TMW!

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#5 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

I think it might be worth your time to investigate the cost of a bike that fits right to start with vs. how much money you'll have to sink into all these mods. The mid-00's model Honda Shadows sit real low to the ground. I have a 28" inseam, so finding a bike that fits this well is rare They might even be cheap, by now.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

Basically because of the shifting geometry, I'm not sure it's possible without some serious modification.

That said, your mechanic should know about the adjustable shifter connecting rod. If you lengthen that as long as possible (and possibly get a longer one from an aftermarket source), you should be able to fit your foot under the shifter.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#7 Unread post by sapaul »

Ah, now I understand better. I am in a position to give you some advice, If I may. We have many ladies here who like both the look and the manner in which the v -twin delivers power, many have the same problem as you. In a lot of instances it was found that it was not the leg length that was the problem, but rather the way in which the SV tips your hips forward and the reach to the clip ons.
The mods that are most common here are:

lowered suspension
seat cut away

and now more commonly a raising of the clip on's and in some cases putting on of bars, all with the aim of getting the hips tilted further back.

If you sit on the bike upright, can your feet touch the ground ?
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#8 Unread post by dr_bar »

Here's one for a GL 1800' maybe your mechanic could take a look and fab you one similar...

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/299/heel-toe-shifter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

MaeBe43
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by MaeBe43 »

Hey everyone!
First I want to say how REALLY really keen it is to receive all the responses, comments, etc. here on TMW. THANK YOU! It makes me smile :D
Having said that I did research, look into, learn about different bikes before buying the one I did. I went to look at a GSXR750 (1999) that a guy had painted with Rhino which is the same stuff used to protect bed liners.... It actually looked cool and he said it helped keep him on the seat! ha. I actually sew and have debated inventing velcro pants... :laughing: Anyway, I sat on the bike and immediately told him not to let go of the front or I would've tipped it over. I felt like I was laying on a BBQ! A wee bit too much bike for me. The SV650S is a great bike for me. An Oakland cop from England owned it and it has never been dropped. I am just trying to show it the respect it deserves and at least ride it around for a minute during the learning curve without dropping it right away. The lowering kit will more or less make a huge improvement as a confidence builder for me. It weighs 125 pounds less then the C50 I have been riding which is good too. I want to say that just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it can't be! Sometimes I've found by NOT knowing something I've had better insights, or come up with something awesome because I didn't know it wasn't "supposed" to be done. blah blah blah. I'll post what the ongoing saga outcome is for those curious. :ninja: Thanks again and stay in touch.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

Please do! It's awesome that you're up for experimenting and finding out what works for you!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha