Tony216
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 08 S3, 04XB12, 09 SRFitty

Re: BC lady kills rider, gets one day in jail

#11 Unread post by Tony216 »

After the Rep Janklow case, I lost all faith in justice when a motorcyclist is involved. It still amazes me that his right to practice was reinstated after he hit, run and left for dead a man who served his country.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#12 Unread post by dr_bar »

An update on this case...

Appeal Increase – Tracy Dawn Smith:

Court of Appeal increases sentence for woman convicted of impaired driving causing death-
Kyle Reynolds –CFAX 1070

A woman convicted of killing a motorcyclist while driving impaired on the Trans-Canada has seen her sentence increased by the BC Court of Appeal.

Tracy Dawn Smith pleaded guilty in the 2011 case, and was sentenced in December to one day imprisonment and three years probation. During the trial, the court heard Smith was both drunk and high on crack cocaine at the time of the collision.

The BC Criminal Justice Branch filed an application almost immediately to have the sentence appealed, and today the appeal court released its decision.

Smith has been sentenced to two years less one day behind bars, to be followed by three years of probation
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#13 Unread post by Wrider »

Better, but still nowhere what she deserves.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#14 Unread post by sapaul »

I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

NC Narrator
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki Boulevard S40

#15 Unread post by NC Narrator »

About four years ago a friend of mine was killed by a 20 year old kid. Kid ran a red light and T-boned my friend's little Saturn coupe, flipping his pickup truck up and over the car. The impact was so hard my friend was actually in the passenger seat when they cut him out. The kid was so high and drunk that when he was ejected from the truck as it flipped, he ended up laying in the road with nothing more than a little road rash.

Thing is, this kid JUST got his license back. He'd had it taken away for multiple DUI's, including a couple with injuries to people he hit - all before the age of 21!

He got 3 years. Then he got into a "boot camp" program that was supposed to get him out in 9 months. In court the kid did nothing but complain about how unpleasant jail was, and they made him walk too much in the program and he got...*gasp* BLISTERS. My friend's widow called me so upset she could hardly even get the words out.

I really don't understand why we don't confiscate/impound cars when we revoke a license. They can't drive, so why do they need access to the car? When they get their license back they can have their car back...and in the meanwhile they can pay a monthly fee to store the vehicle. Maybe that money could go toward keeping up the roads.

On a related note, around here anyone you see on one of those itty bitty scooters is pretty much assumed to have lost their license due to repeated DUI convictions. They call them "likker sickles" (I spelled it phonetically, but for the full impact you should really say it with a thick southern accent).

scooter12
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Honda Rebel 250/ Roketa Bali 250

#16 Unread post by scooter12 »

That just is wrong. She killed a innocent person- vehicular homicide.. In Missouri, she would have atleast gotten 7 years in prison, for vehicular homicide. But I recall another case from 1990's. A fire chief got drunk and ran off the road into a lady and her new born child. Drove her through a brick wall at a pizza joint and kill her. Her new born survived but since he was well known in this town, he just got probation and basically slapped on the wrist.