dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

Re: How many crashes in how many years?

#41 Unread post by dirt dobber »

Hanson, I like that map showing where you live, I want that please post where you got that.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#42 Unread post by Hanson »

James,

There are a number of online locations where you can create a map of the states that you have visited and then down load the image to your computer. I used epgSoft >>> http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/. I created both a visited states map, and also a map of provinces in Canada, two separate images. I downloaded these maps to my laptop and then uploaded the same to SmugMug, which is a service I use for hosting my photographs. After that, I added links to the two images in my user account signature.

That is not the end of the story.

I am trying to learn more about photography and have done some reading online. I got the idea of creating an animating GIF to show the order of the states that I have visited. Actually, my map shows states in which I have ridden an instate Iron Butt SS1000. Next, I created a blank map, a map with just Texas, and then a map with both Texas and Oklahoma. I then used an online GIF maker to create an animated GIF from these files. I can't find the exact service I used, but you will have no trouble finding one that will work. I uploaded these images, actually multiple copies of these images, put them in order, and then set the time for each frame to be 0.1 seconds. The idea was to start with a blank map, and then add Texas and finally Oklahoma and other states in the future. Each frame in the animated GIF represents 1 month so a year works out to 12 images and 1.2 seconds. I think it will be cool down the road after I get a chance to ride in more states. After I created the animated GIF from these individual frames, I downloaded this file to my computer and then uploaded it to SmugMug. Finally, with my fingers crossed, I added a link to the animated GIF in my signature and everything worked. Simple!

Mostly, this was a learning exercise for me. I am also reading about photographic editing programs, I am looking to buy one, and I ran across a free program called Gimp. I down loaded this great program and I have been messing around with this free software to learn more about photo editing. At this time I am so terrible ignorant on the subject that I have no idea what features are important and which ones are not. I am having a lot of fun with Gimp and it gives me a chance to learn before I sink cash into a commercial product. My next project will be to add a state counter to my signature GIF and I want to stitch the two images, the US and Canada maps, into a single image. There is so much to learn, but the internet is an amazing resource.

Likely this is far more information than you where either expecting or wanting, but I hope this helps.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#43 Unread post by Amdonim »

Now that I think about it, there was one time I stopped for gas. I got to close to the pump and instead of trying to fix it, I just got off on the wrong side instead. Halfway off I tripped, and grabbed the bike with my other foot, brought the whole thing down on my legs. Worst part was that like 10 people walked right past me and didn't offer any help. Luckily it was only a shadow so it wasn't too heavy.