Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Hell Hath Frozen Over - 2014 Harley-Davidsons get water cool

#1 Unread post by Gummiente »

Liquid Cooled Motor is introduced on the 2014 touring models. FINALLY! :kicking:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: Hell Hath Frozen Over

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

Soooo......kickin' n screamin', HD was finally dragged into the later part of the 20th Century. :D
Always ask why.

Gummiente

#3 Unread post by Gummiente »

ceemes wrote:Soooo......kickin' n screamin', HD was finally dragged into the later part of the 20th Century. :D
Yeah, because the three disc ABS brakes, fly by wire throttle, EFI, electronic ignition, electronic gauges, cruise control, 6-speed trans, etc, etc, are so archaic that they needed to do something to bring the bikes out of the 50's.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Ok, all the new 2014's Harley-Davidson's are now up. It takes 20-30 minutes to put up each one (As I just don't copy and paste, but create a unique page for each and everyone loaded with custom information and photos).

What I'd like to see is an engine update for the Sportsters (both 883 and 1200), and for whatever reason, the 110 CVO engine's didn't get updated (usually they are the first ones to get updated... so maybe we are seeing a technological ceiling limit here for the 110?). Also about 5 models, including the newish Harley-Davidson FXS Blackline isn't on the lineup anymore... interesting as it was a aimed at Victory sales.

My guess for the water cooling was H-D engine (as we all knew they would eventually) didn't pass air quality standards and/or as we have seen, there was too much of a warranty issue with the rear cylinder getting too hot.

Quite a few updates overall though.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Hell Hath Frozen Over - 2014 Harley-Davidsons get water

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

Makes sense. First BMW ("wasserboxer" motor in the 2013 1/2 R1200GS), now Harley-Davidson.

Hell, IMO the world ended in 2009 when the Triumph Bonnevilles had to go to FI. This is just the after shock! :mrgreen:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Anyone have a picture showing the radiator?
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

Gummiente wrote:
ceemes wrote:Soooo......kickin' n screamin', HD was finally dragged into the later part of the 20th Century. :D
Yeah, because the three disc ABS brakes, fly by wire throttle, EFI, electronic ignition, electronic gauges, cruise control, 6-speed trans, etc, etc, are so archaic that they needed to do something to bring the bikes out of the 50's.
I have to point out that when you have the same basics in every motorcycle you make, it's pretty easy to keep up with the rest of the pack that had it 10 years before.

They're no longer the archaic things they once were, but only to a point.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Gummiente

#8 Unread post by Gummiente »

Wrider wrote:I have to point out that when you have the same basics in every motorcycle you make, it's pretty easy to keep up with the rest of the pack that had it 10 years before.
Harley was the first manufacturer to implement EFI across its entire lineup. But which major manufacturer had fly-by-wire throttle before HD, 'cause I'm drawing a blank on that one. And a quick perusal of 2014 big touring rigs from other manufacturers shows a mixed bag of dry sumps, belt drives, ar cooling, 5 speeds, optional ABS, and so on.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by HYPERR »

Gummiente wrote:
Harley was the first manufacturer to implement EFI across its entire lineup
The only reason why bike manufacturer went to EFI was to meet emission standard. It would make sense that HD was the first to go that route as big air cooled twins are one of the hardest engines to meet emission standards with.

So the fact that a manufacturer was the first to go EFI across the line does not mean they were the most advanced, in fact the opposite may be true. The longer you could hold off EFI and still meet emission standards would take more skills. For example Honda was the last automaker to go to EFI as it was the only car manufacturer that could meet emissions with a carburator.

That said, bikes are generations behind cars when it comes to technology. Most of the stuff that is considered cutting edge on bikes have been around forever on cars.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Gummiente

#10 Unread post by Gummiente »

HYPERR wrote:The only reason why bike manufacturer went to EFI was to meet emission standard. It would make sense that HD was the first to go that route as big air cooled twins are one of the hardest engines to meet emission standards with.

So the fact that a manufacturer was the first to go EFI across the line does not mean they were the most advanced, in fact the opposite may be true. The longer you could hold off EFI and still meet emission standards would take more skills. For example Honda was the last automaker to go to EFI as it was the only car manufacturer that could meet emissions with a carburator.
I didn't claim HD was the most advanced, I'm trying to point out that they do have current technology on their bikes. And it's no big secret about the ever tightening noose of emissions, there are very few air cooled motors left out there that haven't left carburetors behind for more efficient EFI. Even Ural has finally thrown in the towel and will have EFI on all models for 2014. HD could have held out a few more years, too, but chose to accept fate (well, the fate as dictated by EPA, anyway) and undergo the retooling and expense when there was still time left on the clock. Royal Enfield did the same thing a few years ago, too, when they entered the global market once again.

I can't help but be reminded of a conversation I had with a writer for a motorcycle magazine at a Ural rally a few years ago. He was a pretentious twit who spent a lot of time loudly trashing motorcycles by make and model because they were inferior in his eyes. When he inevitably got to HD and started spouting off the same old clichés, I interrupted and politely rambled off the same list I did earlier in this thread. It caught him off guard and he fumbled for a bit before he shot back with "Yeah, well, they only put the fly-by-wire throttle on there to hide all the ugly cables on the handlebars".
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride