BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Didn't want to jack the thread

#1 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

so I decided to start a new one here. When it comes to a more than 2 wheeler I think I ill stay with atv's over 3 wheelers. I do have a servi car that antique in the pic is actually mine and it really ran once. I truly do not like it. I was wondering what appeals to all of you 3 wheel riders side cars included about the feel of 3 wheels. What I mean is I lean into a turn on a bike and you have to steer a trike at least like a car through a turn, I am guessing a side car is the same. That act actually unhinges me a bit I don't like the unstable feeling it presents to my senses. A quad is to me at least quite a bit more stable and they are light enough with enough power to use my lower body and core to help push it through turns, and the fact that I am usually on dirt and can slide it through or drift even.
I really am interested in why people like them?
there aint nothin like it

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: Didn't want to jack the thread

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I met a young woman at the motorcycle conference I attended. She had a Harley trike adapted so she could ride.

She is a paraplegic.

She was a motorcycle rider prior to her losing the use of her legs and it was devastating to her to not be able to ride anymore. Her husband helped to adapt a trike so she could load her wheelchair and ride.

The trike can be someone's answer to being able to stay riding.

Some people start having problems with legs getting weak and can't balance at a red light...the trike solves that.

It's no different than some of us who like cruisers or sport bikes or what have you.

I think it would great to have a side car unit. I could carry cargo with it...or a passenger who has problems straddling a seat.

:mrgreen:

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#3 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Blues that is a great point and I should have thought about that. I actually Know a guy who set his xtra quad up for a friend of his who is paralyzed to ride. I am glad you set that point forward !!!
Thanks

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Well further thinking that out, it is a wonderful thing to help someone achieve any goal but somewhat sadly I had to admit to myself manufacturers are dollar driven so there must be many other folks riding them other than the noble situations aging riders included. There are a lot of 3 wheelers now available. I'd like to also hear what they have to say if anybody could I'd like to hear it.
Dave

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I think things like the Can-Am are appealing to a new modern type of rider. People who might not have ridden before because they feel vulnerable on 2 wheels...mostly the people I see on the Spyder are middle aged people who have taken up riding late...and have some $$$.

It has a bigger presence on the road and less likely to get hit. That probably makes it appealing to people who might not ordinarily even have considered getting out there without the surrounding of steel doors and air bags.

Bdub
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2012 Vstar 950 Tourer

#6 Unread post by Bdub »

B2C,
You are spot on. I have a coworker who embodies what you said, middle aged, 1st time rider with some $$$ and he purchased a Cam Spyder. In Maryland you have to have a motorcycle endorsement on your license to operate a Spyder and take the MSF class. After my coworker took the class he knew he wouldn't like all the action of riding on 2 wheels [clutch, lean, shifting, etc] but he wanted the pleasure of being on the road in the open environment a motorcycle has. I applaud anyone who has a dream that can be accomplished in whatever means possible as long as it's legal. When you get over 50 [which I am and he is too] life is too short to be concerned on how others perceive you so do what you can to make your dream happen. For him it's 3 wheels, for me two, but we both enjoy riding and I do like that Spyder, but I like my VStar 950T better :kicking:

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#7 Unread post by gsJack »

I was past 50 when I got my first bike and have managed to ride over 400k miles in the 30 years since. I did my most spirited riding around age 70 when we traveled from NE OH to the NY and Smoky Mtns. to play doing 400-500 mile Interstate days to get there. Have always said 2 wheels were more fun than anything on more wheels and leaning thru the twisties is the most fun.

Really surprised to see the number of young middle age riders on trikes now, always thought they were a good idea for older (much older) riders and for those with serious handicaps. I think many are reluctant to get smaller lighter bikes as they age because they like their big bikes and because of the image thing, see a lot of Harley trikes on the road now.

But the time does come as it has for me that even smaller lighter bikes aren't as easy anymore. My annual mileage as dropped way down over the past couple of years but I still get out to enjoy the feel of leaning the right way thru the twisties a few more times. Balance at stops is not so good anymore and I'm only comfortable with 2 feet down now at stops. But once I get moving riding is as natural as breathing. I'll probably have to hang up the helmet one of these days but not this year.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#8 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

YOU ROCK JACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#9 Unread post by Hanson »

Jack is my inspiration.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#10 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I picked up my sidecar rig for a lark. It's been great for a few different reasons.
  1. Riding in winter conditions- The third wheel keeps her upright
  2. Bigger loads - Need to take a couple servers into DC but still want to take the HOV and get free parking? Want to enjoy the weather and confuse people when you do big grocery shopping? The rig does it.
  3. Camp and Rides- We like to go overboard at the camp site. We've gotten in the habit of loading up the storage tub with all our gear, good, charcoal & beer- then dropping the car for two days of riding- then doing the measurements to hook it back up correctly (got it down with three guys in 10 minutes)
  4. Enjoying the scenery - It's easier to ride so you can hold a conversation with your passenger and enjoy the scenery without spending as much time being alert for sand patches or decreasing radius turns.
  5. Shenanigans- I have an attachment for my kayak, my dog and a dirt bike.
I still keep the V-strom, sport bikes and a few other bikes for two wheeled riding but the sidecar is just too much fun.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars