Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

New riding gear

#1 Unread post by Amdonim »

I'm in the market for new riding gear. I've only owned 2 jackets and the same pair of pants since I started riding. I need advice on gear for very hot climates. Looking for either jacket and pants or 1 piece. Prefer textile. Any thoughts? And by hot I mean 95+ on a c10. So liked 100+ including engine heat.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Re: New riding gear

#2 Unread post by Hanson »

Alabama is hot and it can also be humid which makes it even harder.

Before you pick your gear, it is a good idea to understand how your body works when riding in hot weather. Tom Austin wrote a great article for the IBA in how to ride in hot weather and I have provided a link to a PDF that is available online. I think it an informative read even if targeted at LD riders. Some of the information might be a bit counter-intuitive, but I find it useful to think of myself as riding in a convection oven as when riding in the heat it becomes important to protect your skin from the wind.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/Iron ... 66_Hot.pdf

I ride all year long and the heat can be miserable.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

evelynbock
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: ‎Kawasaki Ninja 300

#3 Unread post by evelynbock »

I recently bought a one leather jacket, pants and a one piece from a online shopping site. Got really cool gear at very affordable rates and they are very comfortable for hot weather too. You can check out this website and see if any of the products matches your needs.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#4 Unread post by faded sun »

Just bought new textile jackets for myself and the better half. Incredible improvement for ventilation on warm days over leather....but not water resistant really. I ride as long as I can all year round in Toronto, so I go through the whole thermometer range. If it's hot where you are riding all the time you might want to consider an armoured vest for protection. It's your skin. I like the armoured textile jacket but there is no denying it gets hotter. It's not too bad considering I ride every day and only get wet once or twice a year. I dry off real good once I get home.

:)

Ride Safe!
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Got a budget? I love mesh jackets, but the tough thing about mesh is it's a compromise between protection and abrasion resistance. Personally, I'm saving up for a Rev'It Cayenne Pro. So far it seems to be the most bombproof mesh jacket I can find. There's also Motoport/Cycleport kevlar mesh, but IMHO, they look a bit cobbled together.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

MonicaMcA
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD Road King Classic

#6 Unread post by MonicaMcA »

That's why I haven't tried the mesh yet! It looks whimpy! I'm the "newbie" in my riding group, and none of my peers wears anything more than a leather vest and short sleeves when it's hot here. Granted, in the Puget Sound, we normally don't go through heat waves like this. But I ride with a full face helmet, too, which not the preferred "Harley" look. So, IS the mesh a good choice or just hype in the event we are taking a really close look at the road? I've not had any luck finding good crash ratings and comparisons on these jackets. So I just wear my textile and a white helmet.

Honey Badger
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 13 GSXR1000; 07 Triumph Daytona (race)

#7 Unread post by Honey Badger »

Cooling vests are a savior on super hot days.
AFM #302​

​Special thanks to my 2015 sponsors!

RiderzLaw; Dunlop Race Tires; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; MotoSport; Woodcraft; Shoei Helmets; Moto Shop; Precision Trackdays; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Speed Mob; Cycle Gear; AXO; Driven Racing; City Bike; Chicken Hawk Racing

"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"
"Try not, do or do not. There is no try"

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#8 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

MonicaMcA wrote:That's why I haven't tried the mesh yet! It looks whimpy! I'm the "newbie" in my riding group, and none of my peers wears anything more than a leather vest and short sleeves when it's hot here. Granted, in the Puget Sound, we normally don't go through heat waves like this. But I ride with a full face helmet, too, which not the preferred "Harley" look. So, IS the mesh a good choice or just hype in the event we are taking a really close look at the road? I've not had any luck finding good crash ratings and comparisons on these jackets. So I just wear my textile and a white helmet.
You're right, unfortunately there really aren't any crash ratings on jackets in general. You can check the CE certification of the armor, but that's about it. Otherwise, it's really a personal decision based on checking specs, as well as the jacket itself; what's the quality of the material, the stitching, etc. FWIW, I've crashed at about 80kph/50mph on pavement in my mesh jacket, and was completely uninjured, and I still use the jacket; it's the one in my profile pic. Notably, it was raining pretty hard, so I guess that helps with the abrasion (although the rain led to the crash in the first place :lol: ). The jacket was made from Cordura 500 and had really good armour, so YMMV.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

MonicaMcA
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD Road King Classic

#9 Unread post by MonicaMcA »

Wow. Glad that event was less "eventful" than it could have been.
Thanks for the tip.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#10 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

MonicaMcA wrote: I'm the "newbie" in my riding group, and none of my peers wears anything more than a leather vest and short sleeves when it's hot here. Granted, in the Puget Sound, we normally don't go through heat waves like this.
I hope nobody in Puget Sound crashes when dressed like that.

Seriously.

If one gives a few minutes' thought to the actual probability and consequences of crashing then protective gear turns mandatory.

Yes, it's hot sometimes.
I've ridden in 105F temps in full leathers. It was HOT! And I had the zipper open but.... compared to skin grafts - it was a pleasant experience (or so I assume).

But with temps like that - I don't want to ride. I'll wait for cooler weather since riding is recreation for me.

I haven't yet crashed on road in 37 years of riding. But the next ride could be the one. So I plan to come out of it as best I can.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E