What was your first bike and how did you come to own it?

centerstand65
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: 2001 Suzuki Katana

Re: What was your first bike and how did you come to own it?

#21 Unread post by centerstand65 »

ceemes wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:52 am My first bike was an very late 70's very early 80's Honda CM400. Bought it used, along with a used helmet and brand new rain gear and nylon saddle bags for less then C$5OO back in 1987 or 1988 after I was forced to sell my '79 Ford Mustang Corba (that was the one with the honking 5 L engine, manual transmission, fake hood scoop and wicked Cobra decals on the hood.) after doing some serious damage to the drive train and not being able to afford proper repairs. Needed cheap and reliable transportation to get to work and back so got the CM400. Never rode a bike before that, so had to learn it the hard way, by trial and error as there were no affordable riding schools around at the time. I took my test about a month after I got the bike and passed on the first go. Rode that bike for a couple of years through all sorts of weather, sun, rain and even snow.
It must've been great getting in that used helmet for the first time. I envy you.

brajon
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: Honda

#22 Unread post by brajon »

1962 Triumph Tiger 500. My dad gave it to me.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#23 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen this thread!

My first bike was a 1994 KDX 250, which I named GreenMan for obvious reasons. I talk about my experiences buying GreenMan in my blog. My first street bike was a 1984 Magna 1100, which I spent more time wrenching on on than riding. It had issues.

bestazy
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: VFR800

#24 Unread post by bestazy »

I've always liked motorcycles, (and cars, trucks, planes, trains...) and used to watch MotoGP/motocross, but no one in my family rode. There's a photo of my dad holding me on his Kawi when I was an infant, but he sold the bike shortly after I was born. Maybe that moment was enough to cement the idea in my little brain, ha ha.

I asked my dad for a bike almost constantly, once I got my driver's license, but I was always denied and given the safety defense. I finally found myself in a place to afford a bike and picked up a Yamaha XVS 650.
Cheers,
Last edited by bestazy on Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#25 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

bestazy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:24 am I've always liked motorcycles, (and cars, trucks, planes, trains...) and used to watch MotoGP/motocross, but no one in my family rode. There's a photo of my dad holding me on his Kawi when I was an infant, but he sold the bike shortly after I was born. Maybe that moment was enough to cement the idea in my little brain, ha ha.

I asked my dad for a bike almost constantly, once I got my driver's license, but I was always denied and given the safety defense. I finally found myself in a place to afford a bike and picked up a Yamaha XVS 650.
Awesome story! And a great cautionary tale to parents, maybe it's best to embrace your kids desires so you can be part of the process while they're learning.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#26 Unread post by ZooTech »

'78 CX500. Wife had just left (blessing) and I saw it in town on the side of the road for sale for $800.00. It was a Honda so I didn't ask many questions. Rode it home and taught myself on it, never even dropped it once (and it was top heavy!). Rest is history.

desibaba
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2018 CBR1000RR ABS

#27 Unread post by desibaba »

Got a brand new hayabusa as my first bike in Jan of 2006. Just wanted it because it was "The world's fastest production motorcycle". I currently have a CBR1000RR. Although I have liked sportbikes for their looks I could pretty much do the same on a cruiser since I dont really speed much. I have my 650 horsepower 2018 Corvette z06 for that.

Reggie Stark
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Yamaha

#28 Unread post by Reggie Stark »

desibaba wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:31 am Got a brand new hayabusa as my first bike in Jan of 2006. Just wanted it because it was "The world's fastest production motorcycle". I currently have a CBR1000RR. Although I have liked sportbikes for their looks I could pretty much do the same on an average car since I don't really speed much. I have bought my 2018 Corvette z06 for that via carplus. Awesome money for value offer.
Curious but Hayabusa was my first bike too :) it was not brand new unfortunately but the bike was in an awesome condition. I used to own Honda Civic and at some moment I realised that lacked those emotions which bikers could boast to have. After buying my Hayabusa I must admit that riding a bike like that is incredible, another sort of feelings at all :kicking:
Last edited by Reggie Stark on Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#29 Unread post by faded sun »

Pictures, people! Pictures. Makes all the difference. Here's mine.
Kawasaki KX90r.png
Kawasaki KX90r.png (132.92 KiB) Viewed 8073 times
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.