saturday loop

obfg
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

saturday loop

#1 Unread post by obfg »

This past Saturday I went on a solo loop. I wasn't quite sure what loop I wanted and decided to make the decision at the first fuel stop. I left home at about 7:30 am and rode east into the rising sun. But I had a tinted shield and sunglasses so not a problem. My camera was in my tank bag, where it stayed the entire trip. I don't know about you but I always start with good intentions to post pictures of the area I ride. But once on the bike I see a nice spot and keep going. Not wanting to turn around to capture the shot. Content in the knowledge that the view, barring forest fires will be there next week or the week after or next year!

It was a bit chilly when I left, about 10 or 12 Celsius so I wore my electric liner under my mesh jacket. It was a winning combination. This first leg was nice not much traffic and what there was, was moving at a nice pace. The road in good condition with nice curves and scenery (of course no pics ). After about and hour and a half stopped at McDonalds for coffee. They were busy and a new till opened and I went to it. A woman obviously concerned with the integrity of the line, tapped me on the shoulder and said that there were two girls who had been there ahead of me. Apparently she wanted me to relinquish my position to them. But the two females in question came to my rescue and said that I had enquired if they were waiting in line and they were not. Aside from being accused of exercising white male privilege the coffee was, well coffee.

After being refreshed and refueled it was decision time, short loop or long. I decided to be bold and went for long. A few kilometers either side of 700. My family did not know where I was going. Reasonable as I did not really know when I left home what route I would take. It was going to be a long day and I did not want anyone worrying needlessly so at each stop I texted them as where I was and where I was going. I carried on in the original direction for another and 70km before turning on the next leg of the loop. The road is nice and twisty and best of all, on this day, it was devoid of traffic going my way and there were only two vehicles going in the opposite direction. I had 135km all to myself. Oh joy. Well not quite all to my self. I something black on the left shoulder and cautiously slowed down. It was a black bear soaking up the mid morning sunshine. When I got to close it skedaddled up the hill into the bush. That's the way I like to see wildlife, hightailing it in the opposite direction from me. Last week on another ride I came around a curve to find a deer standing right at the edge of the road chewing its cud and looking right at me. It didn't move a muscle thank goodness. These close encounters can be thrilling. The bear looked in good shape, glossy coat etc. Aside from being twisty, the road was also hilly and afforded several panoramic vistas. Alas, the camera remained safely in the tank bag. Next time without fail pictures.

Refueled and refreshed again. Did not need gas but if I make a pit stop at a gas station might as well fill the tank. It was getting nice and warm. I had kept my electric liner on since my last stop but had not turned it on. So now I took it off and allowed the mesh jacket to do its thing. I left the town and went to my next intersection. I stopped and had lunch, an apple and orange juice. This was at a tourist info facility, closed of course, it being a holiday weekend and all.

My next leg was much the same as the first. Light traffic and a good rate of speed. By that I mean traffic going a bit faster than the posted speed limit. I could have passed traffic but what would be the point, there would just be another vehicle and I would potentially be the meat in a sandwich. Whereas now I was the tail end charley, able to see what was developing in front of me and nothing behind me, bliss.

After another 140km stopped for my real lunch at a Subway deli. Half a roast beef sub, cold drink (Pepsi) and air conditioning. More bliss.

Did I mention that is was getting warm. Not riding in your own sweat warm but warm enough. Or maybe I just thought if was warm because my feet or rather the soles of my feet seemed to be frying on the pegs. Last year some friends and I did a loop around Lake Superior in hotter weather and I had no foot problems. But I had been wearing a different pair. I think I will go back to then.

My final leg of the loop was 225km run with just one stop to stretch my legs. This getting old really sucks! Again the road is nice and curvy and little to no traffic. No deer, no bears four legged or otherwise. Got home just in time for supper. A wonderful day of riding.

NorthernPete
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Re: saturday loop

#2 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Should do a blog. :) fun ride!
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F