Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 82 Honda Nighthawk

82 cb650 fuel pump rod gasket replacement options

#1 Unread post by juntjoo »

It's not really a gasket. More like a hard plastic sleeve. For reference:

.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F252551801658

What is that part for? When I removed everything I just remember this piece just falling out in pieces. Is it something I could find something around the garage or hardware store to serve in it's place? Other than the apparently useless ridges it's just a piece of hard cylindrical plastic that I guess fits at the base of this diaphragm rod, unless I'm wrong about that.

Anyone familiar with this little part?

barnes34
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2012 Kawasaki Ninja

Re: 82 cb650 fuel pump rod gasket replacement options

#2 Unread post by barnes34 »

Have you ever figured it out? From the description, it is for carb pump diaphragm. They come in different sizes and length so you have to get the correct part number. We will be working on buddy's XL250R soon right after we finished installing the g2 axle & gear plus the new shocks on his current truck project. We'll see if needs that kind of carb pump replacement.

juntjoo
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by juntjoo »

barnes34 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:19 pm Have you ever figured it out? From the description, it is for carb pump diaphragm. They come in different sizes and length so you have to get the correct part number. We will be working on buddy's XL250R soon right after we finished installing the g2 axle & gear plus the new shocks on his current truck project. We'll see if needs that kind of carb pump replacement.
yes, it is indeed a little rubber boot(mine was plastic because guess what happens to 35 y/o rubber) and while not immediately necessary it's obvious how it functions to keep dirt from collecting along the shaft and creeping it's way up into the carb as there is no real seal into the carb, at least with mine. While on the subject and since you're rebuilding, make sure that pump operates correctly before installing as with mine, I had to replace a perfectly clean good looking carb bowl and the pump cap as both contain a check valve to ensure one way passage of fuel from the bowl to the pump. If unfamiliar you may end up like me on the forums diagnosing pump problems figuring out how to clean them and determine proper functionality depending on the condition or yours. I could tell you details about mine but I imagine each case can be different. But from what I've seen you should be able to perform basically a squirt test off the bike and carb by itself, fill bowl with fuel(i used water, whatever, gonna be full of fuel soon enough) and pump the rod, fuel should squirt like a water gun from the hole in the bowl that goes into that circuit(to the nozzles or whatever your carbs have to deliver fuel from pump to throat), then you want to do the squirt test with carbs all together by again pumping pump by actuating throttle and watching the throats for the sprays, in all carbs. I got three squirts at first. Learned I still then had to dig a wire into the little hole. fixed it. Fuel pump, check. Good luck

juntjoo
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by juntjoo »

barnes34 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:19 pm Have you ever figured it out? From the description, it is for carb pump diaphragm. They come in different sizes and length so you have to get the correct part number. We will be working on buddy's XL250R soon right after we finished installing the g2 axle & gear plus the new shocks on his current truck project. We'll see if needs that kind of carb pump replacement.
https://goo.gl/images/kiYnEf

so this is your carb then? Just one right? well then lucky you. And yeah, pretty similar looking xcept pd vs cv type but looks like they make the pumps the same.

barnes34
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2012 Kawasaki Ninja

#5 Unread post by barnes34 »

Thank you for the tips. We have not touched it yet but that seems the correct carb.