Helmets, you need to know this

NorthernPete
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Re: Helmets, you need to know this

#21 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I can get you a bunch of old hockey equipment. Smell is similar. Lol.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

centerstand65
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: 2001 Suzuki Katana

#22 Unread post by centerstand65 »

I wanted to write a little more about my Icon Alliance. The more I wear it, the more I learn about it. I've mentioned in the past how the previous owner of this lid never washed his hair or his face. He'd just roll out of bed and into his lid, and sweat in it on all day rides. His smell is permanently part of the helmet, even after I've been in it for two years. IMO, this is far better than the artificial smells of PVC and resins that you get with a brand new Icon. The padding is also still saturated with his sebaceous oils, even though I have sweated in the lid all this time since I started wearing it, two years ago. The previous owner's sweat was very oily. It made the padding slick so that the lid swallows my head in one gulp when I want to get in it.

I've also discovered that I don't need to wash my hair much, if at all, now that I wear this lid every day for at least an hour. The Hydradry padding inside of the lid really works: it draws away my sweat and sends it out the back vents. I can now see why the previous owner never washed his hair and face. There's just no need to do it.

centerstand65
Regular
Regular

#23 Unread post by centerstand65 »

NorthernPete wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:47 am I can get you a bunch of old hockey equipment. Smell is similar. Lol.
Hockey gear can't be used when riding a motorcycle in California. Also, motorcycle helmets get much more wear than hockey gear. Guys stay in them for many thousands of hours. My Icon Alliance will always stink like the previous owner because he wore that lid for at least 30,000 miles. It's pretty hot.

centerstand65
Regular
Regular

#24 Unread post by centerstand65 »

NorthernPete wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:47 am I can get you a bunch of old hockey equipment. Smell is similar. Lol.
The stink in this lid is unique. I guess every lid has a unique stink. It is very rare to find a lid with as much sebaceous sweat as is in this one, though. The guy lived in the thing for more than five years. I never thought I'd get so lucky as to find a lid that stinks so much. After you've spent time in another guy's well worn full face lid, you'll never again wear brand new. Well worn will be the new new for you. You'll want to wear other guys' sweat on your head whenever you can. You'll look for lids on eBay permanently stained on the inside by guys going on long, sweaty rides. The two smelliest brands of helmet are Icon and Arai. I always confirm with the seller of a lid I'm interested in that it has not been cleaned, that it does not smell like cigarettes, and that it has not been deodorized. So long as those three factors are true, then the chances are 100% that I will be happy with the lid. Those listed as "could use a good cleaning" or "needs cleaning" or "could use a wash" are many times even more desireable. However, there are many guys who have discovered the benefits of well worn full face headgear. So, bidding wars do erupt over the most well-worn lids.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#25 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Nope, no I won’t. Cause that’s "procreating" gross.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

centerstand65
Regular
Regular

#26 Unread post by centerstand65 »

NorthernPete wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:04 am Nope, no I won’t. Cause that’s "procreating" gross.
You can overcome your preconceived notions. I would call wearing another guy's headgear a communion rather than procreation. Once you buy a helmet, it's yours. Try not to think of it as some other guy's. How it smells and feels is just a normal part of what is your new lid.

Really, you'll be amazed as you get in this kind of lid for the first time. It's not really all that gross -- it's just a matter of getting used to it. Sure, it's gonna stink, I agree, but that is what indicates comfort. You'll learn that smelly helmets are super cool on the outside, and super comfortable on the inside. The dirtier and smellier the lid, the more comfortable it will be to get in and stay in.

jhonson45
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: Yamaha

#27 Unread post by jhonson45 »

I find pro-Helmut to be the best since they fit my head comfortably.