Can I swap a Yamaha Virago 750cc into a Virago 250?

Zachr
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2002 Yamaha Virago xv250

Can I swap a Yamaha Virago 750cc into a Virago 250?

#1 Unread post by Zachr »

So I want a bigger bike but I don’t really want to get rid of my current one just yet. I have a 2002 Yamaha Virago XV250, I’m wondering if I can swap a 750cc or another motor into it? If it will fit will it bolt up directly to everything else after the motors out? I know I’ll meed different carbs, possibly a different tank too since I’ll need a fuel pump. I guess what I’m trying to get at is what all will I need to get in order to do the swap? I’ve got nothing but time on my hands. Thank you. Zach.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Re: Can I swap a Yamaha Virago 750cc into a Virago 250?

#2 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I don’t see you having fun trying to do this. 750 is also shaft drive while the 250 is chain. Would the frame hold up the extra wieght.

If you want to get some more go, maybe look if there’s a big bore kit for your bike. I know my sr250 could be bored out to fit a Yamaha warrior piston and cam.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: Can I swap a Yamaha Virago 750cc into a Virago 250?

#3 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I'm gonna agree with Pete on this one, all the way around. In a practical sense, motorcycles are built to very particular tolerances. Every component of your 250 was designed to accommodate that motor, which aside from weight also applies to your brake pressure, cooling, tire size, etc. And as Pete stated already, the final drive on those bikes are entirely different systems, so you'd get into some pretty extensive fabrication.