Evemisarl
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2002 RSV

Fuel problem

#1 Unread post by Evemisarl »

New to this site and Yamaha Venture. Recent purchased a 2002 RSV. Ran fine when I purchased but previous owner said it was hard to start in cold. Get it home and I cannot start this bike. Removed tank, bypassed filter and even ran line with small funnel directly to carbs, still not starting. If I spray carb cleaner in the carbs, it will start and run until cleaner runs out? Pump was not pumping but when I disconnected line and turned on, pump sprayed gas that remained inside of pump. Reconnected pump, made noise and stopped working???

Ordered new pump but shouldn't bike start when I had a funnel with fuel connected? None of gas was sucked from funnel while cranking? Thoughts and/or comments?

And off topic question, about cars. When I bought the truck about a year or so ago, I noticed that the instructions to engage 4 wheel are partially rubbed out.

From what I gather it says...

To engage HI, shift while driving
To engage Lo, Stop, put truck in neutral, shift to 4 low fast and hard. Then put truck to drive.

Does this sound right? I find sometimes it makes a grinding noise. From what i have heard, that is normal. Also seems to pop out of 4wheel with a bang.

(also says do not drive on hard surfaces, its hard on it... must drive on dirt, snow etc.

Whats going on here? And does anyone have a good picture of there instructions on there visor?
Last edited by Evemisarl on Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: Fuel problem

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

The problem is the condition of your carburetors, not the fuel delivery to them. They need to be cleaned up really good and might need some care beyond that even. Get a shop manual for your bike and follow the procedures for carb servicing.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

Re: Fuel problem

#3 Unread post by ZooTech »

The pumps found on carbureted bikes usually aren't so much pumps as they are electronic petcocks. Yes, they do pump a bit, but not in the way a fuel injected bike's fuel pump works. Try hooking up a fuel bottle directly to the fuel rail, after the pump, gravity feed and troubleshoot from there. Make sure fuel flows from the bowl drains when opened.