How to deal with wind noise in a motorcycle helmet?

makaylalockman
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: X-75 Hurricane

How to deal with wind noise in a motorcycle helmet?

#1 Unread post by makaylalockman »

Wind noise is not a big problem for me when I ride around town, but in long trips, it's is my biggest pet peeve. How do u guys handle this? I guess most of you will accept this reducing your hearing over the years.

I remember a day in my 700-mile journey, the shell was shocked by the noise and my ears were filled with the residual noise at the end of the trips. If I had kept wearing this up, I would have been deaf by 60 years old. It's really a permanent damage!

A big wind shield worked for me but only when I hunch down behind it. The problem is hunched posture is miserable if you are in long trips
I tried to cut the visor down to have some fresh air get inside my helmet, but things got worse!

I think air deflectors baffles can help to stop this noise, but people will look at me and think I'm an idiot on the street.

It seems like I have to buy hundred dollar helmet , but what type to choose? Which one can resist the noise absolutely? Will I waste money just to find out the new lid is not different from the current one? Unfortunately, you can't ride and try to see if the helmet you are going to buy can stop the noise well.

Some websites reviewed the quietest helmets, but they still need earplugs.

Next time, in my long trips, I will try to ride my car, wind noise will no longer a problem, hahaha!!!
Looking for a quiet helmet, any suggest?
Last edited by makaylalockman on Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

Re: How to deal with wind noise in a motorcycle helmet?

#2 Unread post by pchast »

Not a total answer.... But I always use ear plugs too.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

First of all....nobody's business if you use baffles or not. Second....use ear plugs. If you can afford them, get custom plugs.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

Yup, ear plugs...they are cheap insurance against the ringing you hear after a ride.
You can still hear cars and other noises around you with them in, it's just muted to a level that isn't damaging or at least is much less damaging.

Good luck ;)
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

yomanew
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: Yamaha YBR

#5 Unread post by yomanew »

Maybe get a helmet that fits tightly?

samlarson
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: ducati 2012 streetfighter 848

#6 Unread post by samlarson »

First of all, you need to find where the air is coming to your helmet, if it's from ventilation holes there is nothing you can do except covering the inner surface with some noise isolation fabric
it the wind noise is coming through the part joints you can add some isolation there or some rubber

zebraranger
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: Harley Super Glide, Kawasaki Versys

#7 Unread post by zebraranger »

A good fitting quality helmet helps, but earplugs is the easy answer, and it will preserve your hearing long term.
Harley Super Glide Custom
Kawasaki Versys
Can Am Ryker Rally Edition

Jordie Mack
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: Triumph Street Triple

#8 Unread post by Jordie Mack »

Audio is how I make my living and I’m finding myself a bit of an older gent these days so protecting my hearing is Titanically important to me! I’ve always used Shoei full-face helmets which are moderately quiet so that's a good start. I’ve also tried virtually every earplugs out there stopping just short of going to an audiologist. I’ve had molds made but not by a doctor. For me nothing has ever come close to the old tried and true Hearos blues. I think they’re about a 30dB pad which makes a big difference. A bonus that they're really cheap. I think you can find a small sampler pack for $5.00. It’s to the point now I’m more comfortable with them in than without, not only for hearing protection but for the more comfortable overall ride.

CorwinRT
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2008 CBR650

#9 Unread post by CorwinRT »

Earplug is the easiest solution indeed. I sometimes use headset for a better purpose.