kylerbeier
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: X-75 Hurricane

Safest way to corner?

#1 Unread post by kylerbeier »

Specifically, how should you sit on the bike?

I'm not concerned with how to do it on a track or even hardcore canyon carving. Just spirited riding with a considerable safety margin.

One friend says it's safer to basically sit in the same spot; shifting your weight around is just one extra task to be loaded with.

Another says shift your weight; it keeps the bike relatively upright and maximizes your tires' contact patches.

I'm fairly confused.

If it's relevant: My bike is a middleweight standard with a pretty upright riding position.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Safest way to corner?

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

It depends on how much motorcycle experience you have. The technique you're inquiring about is sometimes called "advanced body positioning." As you noted, this is not necessarily a high-performance riding technique. It helps produce conservation of lean angle. Anytime you shift your weight off the centerline of bike in the direction of the turn, you'll use less lean angle for the given maneuver. This allows a greater proportion of your allocation of traction to be available for other things, like acceleration, braking, or simply adhering to the road surface. This applies to normal street riding as well as high-performance riding.

I feel it's definitely not a technique for a first-year rider, as your friend notes, a beginner has enough to cope with just mastering the basics. But for a rider who has mastered the basics, advanced body positioning can definitely contribute to safety, if done correctly.

I recommend Lee Park's book "Total Control". There's a chapter devoted just to body positioning.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S