yomanew
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: Yamaha YBR

Are they really that bad?

#1 Unread post by yomanew »

I was wondering, are open helmets really that bad? Or people just like to spread fake rumors 🤔 Found another article that's attacking open helmets: https://letsgoforaride.com/blog/open-fa ... et-injury/

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

Re: Are they really that bad?

#2 Unread post by ZooTech »

I don't wear helmets so...you've got a leg up on me...wear what makes you happy.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

I had an accident in 2018 when a pick-up truck swerved into my lane immediately after starting up from a traffic light. It was so quick, I was down before my brain could even process what was happening. In that accident, the chin bar of my full-face helmet took significant damage. If I had been wearing an "open helmet", that damage would have happened to my jaw.

Assess the amount of risk to yourself that you are personally willing to tolerate, and make your gear choices accordingly.

When you ask if half helmets or 3/4 helmets are "really that bad", it seems to me that you're looking for other people to provide you with a comfort level about gear preferences you've already decided in your mind. Hear this: it doesn't matter one little bit what I, or anyone else, thinks about any of your gear choices. If you're wearing a helmet that doesn't protect the lower part of your face, and you happen to go down and injure that part of your face, you're the only one who will feel the pain and bear the consequences.

Zootech chooses not to wear a helmet. I choose to wear a full-face helmet at all times. Zootech has been riding for about a billion years (sorry, ZT!! :lol:). While I don't know him personally, Zootech has been a significant poster on this forum for many years, and I'm 100% confident he understands and accepts the consequences of his choice. I also have assessed the risks, which have informed my own personal gear decisions.

Have you decided how much risk you're willing to tolerate? If so, then make gear decisions consistent with that risk assessment. That's all.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

azizmian7161
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401

#4 Unread post by azizmian7161 »

I have the same thoughts. I am using motorbike from last 5 years and their is not a single day that I have not wear my full-face helmet.

zebraranger
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: Harley Super Glide, Kawasaki Versys

#5 Unread post by zebraranger »

I have both full face modular helmets and 3/4 helmets, I use them both. It just depends on what bike I'm riding, where I'm riding and how I'm riding. Its really a personal choice.
Harley Super Glide Custom
Kawasaki Versys
Can Am Ryker Rally Edition

CorwinRT
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2008 CBR650

#6 Unread post by CorwinRT »

jstark47 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:20 am I had an accident in 2018 when a pick-up truck swerved into my lane immediately after starting up from a traffic light. It was so quick, I was down before my brain could even process what was happening. In that accident, the chin bar of my full-face helmet took significant damage. If I had been wearing an "open helmet", that damage would have happened to my jaw.

Assess the amount of risk to yourself that you are personally willing to tolerate, and make your gear choices accordingly.

When you ask if half helmets or 3/4 helmets are "really that bad", it seems to me that you're looking for other people to provide you with a comfort level about gear preferences you've already decided in your mind. Hear this: it doesn't matter one little bit what I, or anyone else, thinks about any of your gear choices. If you're wearing a helmet that doesn't protect the lower part of your face, and you happen to go down and injure that part of your face, you're the only one who will feel the pain and bear the consequences.

Zootech chooses not to wear a helmet. I choose to wear a full-face helmet at all times. Zootech has been riding for about a billion years (sorry, ZT!! :lol:). While I don't know him personally, Zootech has been a significant poster on this forum for many years, and I'm 100% confident he understands and accepts the consequences of his choice. I also have assessed the risks, which have informed my own personal gear decisions.

Have you decided how much risk you're willing to tolerate? If so, then make gear decisions consistent with that risk assessment. That's all.
I wear full face helmet all the time either. You really don't know when an accident will happen so always be protected than sorry.

catster
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: KTM 500 EXC-F.

#7 Unread post by catster »

Yup, full face helmet is much safer.
Last edited by catster on Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#8 Unread post by ZooTech »

catster wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:04 pm Yup, full face helmet is much safer
And a Volvo even more so!

AlexCopper6
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: 2019/Honda/CBR

#9 Unread post by AlexCopper6 »

Yes, no doubt. Open face helmets are less safer than full face helmets and might result in more injuries.