What happens to totaled motorcycles after the insurance pays out for it?

Caleb12
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: make

What happens to totaled motorcycles after the insurance pays out for it?

#1 Unread post by Caleb12 »

I'm curious about what happened after my insurance company paid out for my totaled motorcycle. I've looked at various salvage yard websites and haven't ever seen it.
The accident happened in Utah and the insurance company is based out of Wisconson, don't know if that makes a difference in where it would go though.
If I wanted to buy it back would it be better to call them and ask what happened to it?
Thanks guys, it's probably been sold for parts then.

Moseshodges
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: Yamaha

Re: What happens to totaled motorcycles after the insurance pays out for it?

#2 Unread post by Moseshodges »

Caleb12 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:25 am I'm curious about what happened after my insurance company paid out for my totaled motorcycle. I've looked at various salvage yard websites and haven't ever seen it.
The accident happened in Utah and the insurance company is based out of Wisconson, don't know if that makes a difference in where it would go though.
If I wanted to buy it back would it be better to call them and ask what happened to it?
Thanks guys, it's probably been sold for parts then.
After your insurance company paid out for your totaled motorcycle, they likely transferred ownership to a salvage yard or auction house. Salvage yards may sell the motorcycle for parts, while auction houses may offer it to buyers. The motorcycle could end up in a different state due to the insurance company's national network. To buy it back, contact the insurance company to inquire about its fate and express your interest in purchasing. State laws and company policies can influence the process.